The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What are your favorite plugins for post processing?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What are your favorite plugins for post processing?

After years of trying out a ridiculous number of plugins, I have what I think is a fairly nice group of plugs that I use regularly during post processing. I have tried any number of pultec/vintage eqs, all kinds of compressors, tape and tube saturation, vintage mic emulations, and all kinds of other plugs that did nothing but waste my time. I tried doing it all at once in a few different “mastering suites”. And, of course, I have tried so many reverbs that my head is still spinning.

Anyway, here is what I currently use:

EQ - Fabfilter Pro-Q (I usually use two instances - one for corrective action,
and one user preset for HP/LP)

HVAC and noise removal - Cockos Reafir

Pop/click removal/restoration - izotope RX 5

Minimization of early reflections in poor/small rooms - Acon Deverberate 2

Compression - Fabfilter Pro-C2

Reverbs - Acon Verberate for rooms/halls
Fabfilter Pro-R for chambers/plates
Flux verb session for ambiences
Liquid Sonics Reverberate for bricasti plate IRS

Phase/spectrum/stereo imaging analysis - izotope Ozone

Limiter - Izotope Ozone

What are your favorite and go-to plugins for post-processing and other various tasks?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What do you use for coughs? (I don't think Vicks Formula 44 is available in vst)

I agree ReaFir can solve some noise problems. I tend to use a lot of the plain-Jane Reaper plug-ins. Their GUI may suck but they are quite powerful if you take the time to learn them. I usually have ReaEq, Reacomp, Voxengo MS and JS: Goniometer on the 2-bus. Reaverb with the Samplitude Bricasti convolution samples if 'verb is required.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hi Jim - I actually quite like the reaper gui, although I do use one of the custom skins (some dark theme thing I can’t remember the name of...). You are correct that many of the standard cockos plugins are very capable - I still pull a few of them up on occasion, such as the js HP/LP filter and stereo imaging plugs, readelay, etc, and I do tend to have reafir on almost every mix.

For coughs, it is usually a surgical effort in reafir (subtractive). I isolate the spot, do a spectrum print, find the offending frequencies, zero out all the other waveforms, and subtract just the offending noise. Sometimes works ok, sometimes not so much...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
What do you use for coughs? (I don't think Vicks Formula 44 is available in vst)

I agree ReaFir can solve some noise problems. I tend to use a lot of the plain-Jane Reaper plug-ins. Their GUI may suck but they are quite powerful if you take the time to learn them. I usually have ReaEq, Reacomp, Voxengo MS and JS: Goniometer on the 2-bus. Reaverb with the Samplitude Bricasti convolution samples if 'verb is required.
For coughs I use Izotope RX 6 Advanced.
First I use Spectral Repair, Attenuate tab, Surrounding Region 25, Strength 0.9 to get
most of the cough, the loudest portion but not the “tail” (but without affecting the music elements).
Next I expand the frequency range and carefully draw selection areas for the remaining cough components between the fundamental and harmonics of the music elements and use the Gain Module to reduce (typically by 9 to 15dB) the residual cough to inaudibility. Best to reduce only enough so that the residual of the treated area matches audibly/visually the background noise/ambience on either side of the treated area.
Lastly I go after the “tail” section with the above 2 stage process.

This is my go-to method for any isolated noise artifacts.

Last edited by Folkie; 1 week ago at 07:38 AM.. Reason: additional clarification
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I am a fan of ReaFIR for broadband noise removal, but I do find it to be less transparent than Izotope RX's De-Noise module. As a stock plug, ReaFIR is absolutely stellar. For really exposed classical music, though, I find my ear noticing it doing its job. RX seems to do a slightly better job of hiding the processing artifacts.

ReaFIR is sure as hell better than nothing, though!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Folkie - great info.

SG - when I use reafir for that purpose, I always move the entire curve down a couple of dB or so to avoid any artifacts. Works great.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Besides Izotope RX Advanced,
I use Pro-Q R reverb,
MSED (MS decoding/processing),
Voxengo Sound Delay (for tweaking time alignment), Voxengo SPAN (spectrum analysis), Izotope Ozone Equalizer and Ozone Dynamic Eq
(useful pre and post spectrum analysis).
Old 1 week ago
I am quite happy with two built-in Sequoia plug-ins: AM-Munition for slight MS compression (sometimes used for video purposes); and VariVerb Pro for touches of spot-microphone reverb. For individual tracks, I use the panning, delay and EQ knobs of the built-in mixer without regrets.
Next to that, my mastering always goes through iZotope RX (noise reduction) and Ozone, at least for metering. If I need a general sauce of reverb, I have been quite happy with Altiverb in the past.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

My needs are really basic, but these are the ones that I end up coming back to pretty consistently:

iZotope RX4: hvac, coughs, trucks, singers "discreetly" clearing their throats between verses, the list goes on and on... can't really imagine getting on without this...
2cAudio reverbs: I bought Perfect Storm when they were pretty new and haven't felt the need to look elsewhere, although I recently upgraded in order to include their new Precedence spacial positioning plugin. Too new for me to say how valuable this one will be, but it looks promising.
EQ: Toneboosters FlX, ReaEQ, or OTB DIY poor mans tube EQ if the trip is worth it
Dynamics: Voxengo Crunchessor; Voxengo Elephant; Toneboosters Barricade... not much else I need for compression and limiting choices.
Utilities: Melda MAutoalign is often handy and easy; Toneboosters EBULoudness, Voxengo Span (free version), and Youlean have all been good metering tools.

I feel like I've been able to cover a lot of ground while keeping the plugin count down to a minimum. Hardly sexy by any means, but hey, I'm almost 60...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
SG - when I use reafir for that purpose, I always move the entire curve down a couple of dB or so to avoid any artifacts. Works great.
Yeah, if you take a little time to massage it, it really can do a good job. I love Reaper.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

IF using plugins (for rough mixes), i mostly don't need anything which isn't already included in nuendo; out of habit, i might use blue/orange eq, sonnox, voxengo, waves, weiss, jünger and lexicon.

___

[when i started experimenting with mixing itb, to me most any plugins were a bit disappointing after years of tweaking a fairlight... - i switched from wavelab to sadie for mastering then, mostly for the cedar plugins though. i kept tracking/editing in nuendo but reverted to mixing on digital desks and digital outboard; i later dropped sadie and got back to wavelab.

plugins have been picking up a lot in recent years and besides all the emulations of vintage gear (which i find mostly boring), there are some new an exciting tools available these days: clearmountain's domain is lots of fun!

however, i still find the workflow itb to be bothersome and slow and much prefer mixing on desks, especially when working with large amounts of tracks and for complex routing. also, many of the projects i'm involved in move between recording, mixing and performing live so using the same platform throughout is a huge time saver or even mandatory (i'd never want to mix live using a daw).

also, there is some hardware which simply has no counterpart in form of plugins so i keep using assorted hardware.]
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I enjoy using some reverb plug-ins.

Softube TSAR-1
Flux
Sonnox Reverb
tc electronic DVR-250 DT with the hardware controller

Also use a Weiss complimiter plug-in

Softube Tube-Tech comp is fantastic.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search