The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ceiling for small/mid-sized scoring stage (80m²).
Old 1 week ago
Ceiling for small/mid-sized scoring stage (80m²).

Hello, fellow slutz. Happy new year!

We are building a scoring stage in São Paulo (12x7m or 40'x23'), Brazil. We have some building limitations regarding room size and hight. Here is what we came up with:https://saopaulostudioorchestra.com/...for-orchestra/

The room is still under construction, especially our wall panels (which will go around the entire room, 16 in total):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/673u6jdw2p...dio-9.jpg?dl=0

Our ceiling is around 3.5 / 4 meters (14 feet) high and has around 60 packages of heavy rock wool. We use perforated drywall with inclination.

Overall the room sounds nice without major acoustic problems. Musicians love playing in it. It still has a natural brightness and the giant wall diffusers (with absorption) seem to do a nice job so far. Possibly finishing the wall panels will do the job.

However, I would really appreciate some advice, especially about the Decca Tree use in a Low Ceiling situation. Or first attempts with the Decca Tree at 2,80m (9 feet) gave "okay" results but I believe the ceiling reflections near the mics are creating unwanted harshness. Using a lower positioning at 2,50m (8 feet) gave us better results. (we use mainly MKH 800 TWINs currently, but also Schoeps MK3 and DPA 4007s).

Consulting the literature like "Recording Orchestra and Other Classical Music Ensembles" by Richard King, he talks about the unpleasant effects of early reflections coming first from de ceiling and later from the walls.

I wonder if I should experiment with more ceiling absorption. How about a "cloud" over the Decca Tree to manage specific direct reflections?

PS. Maybe that's a question for the acoustic forum, but I bet you guys have some nice insights specific for orchestral recording.
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling for small/mid-sized scoring stage (80m²).-2019.05-studio-9.jpg   Ceiling for small/mid-sized scoring stage (80m²).-52457294_2086963391392068_7400394389500985344_o.jpg   Ceiling for small/mid-sized scoring stage (80m²).-2019.05-studio-5.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search