The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pearl ELM-B (figure 8) users?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Pearl ELM-B (figure 8) users?

Is anyone here using this specific model?

I've seen some clearly well-deserved praise and heard some nice samples from Pearl's older and more well-known models, but as far as I can recall I have not seen or heard anything specifically about this (comparatively) new mic. It is one of the most intriguing to me personally.

Thanks in advance for any info/samples/thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Pearl ELM-B (figure 8) users?-elm-b-graph.jpg   Pearl ELM-B (figure 8) users?-elm-b-l.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I was very interested in this mic also, and did a little bit of digging to try to establish whether it has a true figure-8 capsule like the Sennheiser MKH30, or back-to-back cardioids like most multi-pattern mics. As far as I can tell it is the latter but I can't remember where I found this information or how reliable it is, sorry.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hmm, yes that appears likely when the other two models in the series are a cardioid model and the 2-channel-output version which obviously has two capsules. I have emailed Pearl directly for clarification and will share here what I learn.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

The Pearl ELMs are all the same dual diaphragm Braunmühl-Weber capsule concept.

This - https://www.amazon.com/Gustav-Mahler.../dp/B0009PLM1W / https://open.spotify.com/album/2hfOx...QsaYDYoX9kTr2w - was recorded with a Blumlein pair of ELM-Bs, and you can find other recordings by Kavi Alexander using this setup.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have the Pearl DS60 which is essentially two ELM's on one stick. It is four cardioid mics. It's characteristics are that it has a ribbon-like sound and is quite kind to voices and strings. I have had good luck with it. It is a fine mic. One caution, the membrane surface the main cardioid must be at a 90 degree angle to the sound source for best captured sound. It does not "hear" above and below the vertical membrane surface very well. It does hear horizontally quite well.

Cheers
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
I have the Pearl DS60 which is essentially two ELM's on one stick.
No, it's not - the DS60 uses the smaller capsules found in the 22 series and the TL44.

The 7:1 length:width capsules in the ELM series deliberately increase the differences in vertical vs horizontal directivity that you mention.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I own 2 x ELM-B's

Have had them on the drum kit as my main mic's for quite a few years now.

One over the Floor tom facing the snare, and the other over the Rac, as my main drum mics.
They also excel on Acoustic guitars!

I love them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
I own 2 x ELM-B's

I love them.
Could you elaborate a little on how you find the pretty unique directivity of these mics? Any modifications to your usual techniques to take this into account, any situations in which they have been particularly useful for this reason?

i.e. compared to more traditional figure 8 ribbons or (circular diaphragm) condensers.

Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedamrosch View Post
Could you elaborate a little on how you find the pretty unique directivity of these mics? Any modifications to your usual techniques to take this into account, any situations in which they have been particularly useful for this reason?

i.e. compared to more traditional figure 8 ribbons or (circular diaphragm) condensers.

Thanks!
Some reviews might help: https://www.audiotechnology.com/revi...ule-microphone
https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/gear...ity-microphone
See if you can find Greg Simmons (Simmosonic) review of the ELM-C in issue 85 of Audio Technology magazine.
Sound On Sound has some good reviews of the ELM series:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/pearl-elm-c

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/pearl-elm

According to the above reviews, positioning of a rectangular diaphragm mic is paramount, and requires some expertise to get right, to utilise the differential pickup sensitivity correctly

Last edited by studer58; 3 weeks ago at 07:43 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Unique with a Larger then life sound.

Luke,
Once you get a handle on their pattern specifics, you can use it to really focus the mic's directivity on whatever you record.

For example, using 2 x ELM's on a singer songwriter,
one on Vocal and one on Acoustic guitar, you can setup the mic's in the vertical position so that their pickup above & below the mic is very limited, but the sound right out front is picked up beautifully.

Now if the vocalist has a tendency to move his head up or down while performing, just turn the mic 90 degrees, set it up horizontally, and angle the mic slightly as to place it's null at the guitar, which would allow for a more consistent Vocal pickup while still rejecting most of the guitar....

I've also had great success with these on Toms, (Rac & Floor),
for Acoustic rock, / Americana type Rock N Roll.
(as long as the drummer isn't a total basher!)
Cause they can overload in that scenario

But by using their directional characteristics, I can control the amount of Cymbal bleed compared to the actual Tom pickup very nicely, and they sound great in this position.

When using them for vocals, care MUST be taken as they are very prone to pops, due to that large diaphragm.
I use a small foam Pop filter that I can slide over the to of the mic, works fine.

Very, unique microphones, with a very natural but LARGE sound!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I understand ribbons have some similar directivity, I wonder how a small body long ribbon compares to an ELM in that regard.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

nobtwiddler,

Thanks for this, I appreciate it!

One further question -- while I assume the nulls themselves are predictably deep, how do you find their off-axis response/coloration as you begin moving towards the nulls? Particularly on the vertical/narrower axis.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Emrr,
Since I have a few long ribbons also, I can tell you they behave quite similarly!

But the Pearls have a more defined edge, where the audio pickup just seems to stop!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hi all,

Just an update that I will be demoing a pair of these sometime next month. I plan to do a fairly comprehensive test, both putting the ELM-Bs through their paces and testing some mic techniques I have been working on lately.

The only figure 8s I have to make a direct comparison against the Pearls are a pair of Schoeps MK8, and I will undoubtedly do this in a couple of configurations -- spaced, Blumlein, etc.

Space will likely be a decent, though not spectacular chapel, with a Steinway D that is far from ready for prime-time at the Concertgebouw but should suffice for a reasonable comparison.

If anyone else here is curious to hear the ELM-Bs in some configuration which I might not otherwise try, please feel free to make your request and I will do my best to include this in the test.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Most if not all are on the Pearl website.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search