The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording Claps
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Recording Claps

Greetings every one

Here's the situation i've got and I need some advice ;
For my project I find out that I should record group of claps rather than using some sample to achieve the sound that I want . The song genre is somehow Disco funky and the great reference for clap sound is the sound in the Lose your self to dance(Daft Punk).

I have some mics and I don't know which one with what angle is the best for recording claps;
1.single sm57
2.single sm58
3.sm7b
4.RodeNT1

I'll be greatful to hear some advice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Claps are surprisingly hard to record well! Personally I would use a dynamic mic like the SM7 and plenty of distance. Claps only sound like claps from quite a long way away, for some reason.
Old 4 weeks ago
Super Moderator

I would set all of these mics up and see which ones sound best.

I would also try different placements, starting off with them being at least four feet away.

How the individuals clap also matters. Try having them cup their hands in various versions from semi-flat to full cup. This technique will soften the clapping sound.

You may want to have a variety of these positions, distances, and (cupping or semi-flat) clapping styles.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

You need some distance and a live space. But there's good live and bad live. The easiest way to find the best spot immediately available to you, assuming we're talking apartment/house/dorm/etc., is to roam around recording yourself clapping with your phone. This takes at least three hands, but you'll figure something out. If it sounds good with the phone, it should sound good with a real mic -- try an omni if you have one. I say "should" because sometimes the lo-fi, smashed phone thing can't be topped.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Don't forget a nice fat delay : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kIIerl5W_HQ
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Try fig 8s, they add room, make it real.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search