The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Headphones for outdoor recording use?
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Head

Headphones for outdoor recording use?

Getting a new location recording set up for the occasional bits I do for my sound design work. Have been recommended the Senn HD25 by several people, but I HATES them, I hates them so much. They just don't fit me at all and always cause me pain.

Also I'd like something with some isolation.

Having a look around here, the DT250s and Sony MDR7506 get mentioned a lot, but seemingly in very old threads. I wonder if there's something more recent work checking out for a durable, well isolated set of cans?
Old 12th December 2019
If you've struggled with an uncomfortable fit and lack of isolation, try the Beyerdynamic DT700 80-ohm. They offer a great balance of lightweight, comfortable fit (nothing on the ear), and killer sound. Avoid the 250-ohm version for lack of bass, as well as the 880s and 990s since they won't have enough isolation.

Listen enough on the DT770s, and other headphones *will* start to sound funny...
Old 12th December 2019
Lives for gear

Try David Clark 10S DC headphones, excellent
sound quality, excellent sound isolation and very comfortable. I literally can wear them for hours without needing to remove them due to discomfort.
Old 12th December 2019
Lives for gear
I'd recommend Shure SRH840s. I like them enough to keep a spare pair in a box in case my day-to-day ones fail.

As always, it's best to audition headphones if you can. What works for my ears might not work for yours.

Chris
Old 12th December 2019
sm5
Here for the gear
I suggest trying the beyerdynamic DT240 pro. I replaced my 7506's with them. I felt they had a flatter sound and replaceable cable is nice. If you don't mind the size Monoprice M565c are what I use now. Best sound by far and easy to drive and best isolation. I even use them as ear protection if something is too loud :p They are the toughest too.

Others: 7520 are okayish.
Audeze Sine with over-ear pads or Oppo Pm-3s are about equal to the monoprice. I sold those keeping monoprice as my only closed back headphones that I use for everything as far as location recording but it's a tossup depending on preference/fit but Id say those 3 are the best without price as a consideration.
(My studio headphones are Raal SR1a's)
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear
The new Neumann NDH20 are outstanding and reasonably priced. My standard now.
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear
Location cans need isolation , efficiency and comfort, plus rigorous build quality, SQ is useful but hifi is not imho
They get considerable abuse, they must survive rain ,cable tug and and drop test
Ive tried a pelicase full of others from AKG,Beyer,Sony and Shure and HD25II still do the biz.best.
I carry HD 800 too they are they ultimate open back quality check, direct out of the Nagra VI that is what you have recorded, every flaw is forensically displayed.
Roger
Old 13th December 2019
My choice is JH Audio JH16Pro, amazing isolation and really amazing sound, kinda studio speaker in you ears)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thanks for the responses - I guess the main takeaway is that I need to try some!

Also I now know why my DT880s have no bass :(
(Although Im not sure I'd recommend any of that series for outdoor use with their soft foam!)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
https://www.drumtek.com.au/vic-firth...on-headphones/

These are designed to function as isolation phones for drummers, with around 24dB of isolation. They allow a recording engineer to be in the same zone/room as loud musicians. They're a little light in bass extension but transfer most of what you need to hear.

So, they work as described for the intended use. They accomplish this at the expense of noticeable side pressure, since effective air sealing of the cups is integral to the operating principle.

If you can live with that aspect, they'll serve you well. A helpful spinoff is that you can get away with a much lower playback level than regular headphones (no surprise, no leakage !) which is safer for your ears. If you use them in a city environment, be careful walking around traffic etc, as the isolation is that significant !

Alternative to this, a good sealing pair of in-ear phones might get you most of what you seek....with much more comfort, lower weight and less 'detachment' from the outside world
Old 4 weeks ago
I recommend the remote audio headphones. It's sony mdr 7506 with gel pads.

https://remoteaudio.com/products/hea...noise-headset/
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Iso is good ,but remember you still need to communicate, thats why the one earpiece on the HD 25II can be swiveled off ear
Also velour pad, low pressure cans much more comfy than crusher defender hearing protection.
Tired ears are bad tools.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
The new Neumann NDH20 are outstanding and reasonably priced. My standard now.
I use the HD 25-1 (with optional velor pads which are much better than the leatherette ones), but the Neumann would be my 2nd choice i think.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoobley View Post
Getting a new location recording set up for the occasional bits I do for my sound design work. Have been recommended the Senn HD25 by several people, but I HATES them, I hates them so much. They just don't fit me at all and always cause me pain.

Also I'd like something with some isolation.

Having a look around here, the DT250s and Sony MDR7506 get mentioned a lot, but seemingly in very old threads. I wonder if there's something more recent work checking out for a durable, well isolated set of cans?
I still like my Sony MDR-V6 Headphones - they are the predecessor to the Sony MDR 7506. Both sets are virtually the same - except that I hear more in my V6 set.

I am thinking about getting a pair of the Shure SE425 Earphones - in ear buds - which are completely comfortable to wear over 10 hours. They also sound great - and deliver
with out killing my ears.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor View Post
I recommend the remote audio headphones. It's sony mdr 7506 with gel pads.

https://remoteaudio.com/products/hea...noise-headset/
I have a pair of these and they perform very well - they're not lightweight, but are comfortable for long periods and have great isolation. I believe they get the headset shell from the David Clark company that Folkie references in his post above.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm generally interested and open to trying out phones but wow, these Shure 840s took some pretty rough review hits -durability wise right on their site.
https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/headphones/srh840
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
My 940s broke in the field. Shure replaced them without question, but I never trusted them after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I'm generally interested and open to trying out phones but wow, these Shure 840s took some pretty rough review hits -durability wise right on their site.
https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/headphones/srh840
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I find myself with an urgent need for these headphones. I had all but decided on the MDR 7506 but there seems to be a shortage where I'm based. However, the 7510s are available - any reason I should be chosing the older 7506es over these?
Old 1 week ago
I don’t have experience with some of the models mentioned above. But I’m using the DT1770 when I need isolation. Nice build quality and gets the job done. Don’t like them for mixing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoDaylight View Post
I have a pair of these and they perform very well - they're not lightweight, but are comfortable for long periods and have great isolation. I believe they get the headset shell from the David Clark company that Folkie references in his post above.
Yes they do appear to be the same shell.
I couldn’t stand the hyped upper mids of the Remote Audio headphones and quickly put them on the shelf and haven’t looked back. The David Clark’s on the other hand seem to be very neutral/accurate in frequency response and very good at reproducing live acoustic music (folk, world, jazz and classical, etc) that I have recorded
and match well the direct sound in the room.
I quickly bought a second pair.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search