The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to use Avon Deverberate?
Old 25th December 2019
Lives for gear

Studer - thanks for your comments. The processed mix has a plate with 1 sec decay time, blended with a medium hall algorithm with a 1.25 sec decay. Most of these audition recordings are synced with video, so the reverb needs to sound at least sort of like what the actual scene in the video looks like it should sound. If it were audio only, yes, I would probably add a third verb to fatten it a bit more and give a bit longer tail. From your previous comments, though, I think I will work on tweaking the early reflections a bit more to see if I can get rid of the “walls”, maybe in the 0.1-0.25ms range.
Old 25th December 2019
Gear Guru

my experience of it was to under use it, and then under use it again.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For those following this thread, I have found a good user hint for those battling the “small room” syndrome - it is a way for the software to “learn” the early reflection correction in Deverberate 2 much more effectively than playing a complex music passage through it. From experimentation over the past months, I find that early reflections are the most trouble causing aspects of small room sound, and trying to record a music passage and using that for the software to “learn” the ER correction proved problematic at best.

Since a common way to create impulse responses (IRs) is to shoot a starters gun or pop a balloon - ie, a short transient sound - I record 4 or 5 sharp claps in the space (pianist’s living room, small classroom, etc) and play just those into the “learn” step for early reflections and then save it as a preset. I apply that to the recorded music tracks. I then add a second instance of Deverberate set to remove room ambience, and even a third instance with a longer reverb time setting if needed for echo-y small spaces.

Like most audio gear, the more time I spend with it the better it works...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

This is an excellent tip, thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
For those following this thread, I have found a good user hint for those battling the “small room” syndrome - it is a way for the software to “learn” the early reflection correction in Deverberate 2 much more effectively than playing a complex music passage through it. From experimentation over the past months, I find that early reflections are the most trouble causing aspects of small room sound, and trying to record a music passage and using that for the software to “learn” the ER correction proved problematic at best.

Since a common way to create impulse responses (IRs) is to shoot a starters gun or pop a balloon - ie, a short transient sound - I record 4 or 5 sharp claps in the space (pianist’s living room, small classroom, etc) and play just those into the “learn” step for early reflections and then save it as a preset. I apply that to the recorded music tracks. I then add a second instance of Deverberate set to remove room ambience, and even a third instance with a longer reverb time setting if needed for echo-y small spaces.

Like most audio gear, the more time I spend with it the better it works...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search