The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studer mixing consoles...a short history
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Studer mixing consoles...a short history

For those interested, a quick overview of Studer mixer history, plus a fast-forward to Chandos and their use of the Vista today: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9yZw_kxAae4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=br4MHKQ19d4

Parallel story for their tape machines too: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DDj7k4R4hoM

Last edited by studer58; 2 weeks ago at 05:01 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Used to run a Studer 089 console here for phatsound mix down. Such a thick and wonderful sound it produced.

Now have moved beyond Studer with +90kHz. freq. response from digital SONOSAX.

It is also Swiss.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i fear there will be no longer be any 'swissness' left in studer as harman/samsung design labs got centralized/moved to the usa.

some key figures didn't wanna relocate and have left the company; some got hired by the (german) competitors right away!

could turn into another sad example of how big business can ruin a relatively small but successful company (within the harman empire, studer is still making money but imo the closer they'll tend towards mainstream in their designs, the less differentiation there will be - to be 'fair', they already missed out on a few topics before such as video integration, immersive formats etc. so don't wanna blame the new owner for all what's happening now).

would i buy a digital desk today, it'd probably be the stagetec avatus (which seems to draw A LOT from the vistas) if they get it going reliably... - lawo ain't bad either (the owner of largest european fleet of broadcast trucks just switched to lawo exclusively).

anyway, i assume my studer vista desks will outlast me...

p.s. the pics of the sonosax desk i posted in another thread are from a recent installation where a stagetec never got to work in the intended way and hence got replaced; things turned into an awful legal battle, causing a huge loss for the owner and another dent in the reputation for the manufacturer (salzbrenner actually - things are somewhat complicated...)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Speaking of analog, here's an upcoming French product....https://www.stereo.net.au/news/analo...-tape-recorder

I'm betting that it's reasonably heavy...they could have put more thought into the carry handles on the sides
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I used STUDER 089
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Studer as a company is long gone sadly. Now it's just a brand.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
Studer as a company is long gone sadly. Now it's just a brand.
it's not been THAT long: until 2 years ago, i took my desks to regensdorf, switzerland where all the knowledgeable folks were still around - but with the r&d of several harman/samsung brands getting centralized in one place, things definitely changed...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
it's not been THAT long: until 2 years ago, i took my desks to regensdorf, switzerland where all the knowledgeable folks were still around - but with the r&d of several harman/samsung brands getting centralized in one place, things definitely changed...
2 years ago still?

A year or 3 ago I tried to get into contact with some kind of support which proved impossible back then.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
2 years ago still?

A year or 3 ago I tried to get into contact with some kind of support which proved impossible back then.
i agree that if you didn't know anyone at the headquarters personally, communication was noriously difficult...

or just have a look at their homepage: it mostly takes them months just to update, one cannot even find complete manuals, most distributors are simply unaware of many functions etc. all of which is a shame as imo the desks in many ways still offer some unrivalled features!
Old 6 days ago
My mentor had a Studer 169. He recorded a lot of St. Louis Symphony concerts in the Leonard Slatkin days.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I've had the luck of owning, among other pieces, a nice 169, a 963, a 970, and a C37 perfectly restored by Andreas Kuhn.

In the years I've had access also to A80 and 800's, 820 and 827, 807's, 810 and 812's. Plus some 902 and 903 desks and also the more modern studer vista digital desks (I believe was a vista 6).

There's unfortunately nothing left from that legacy..

The new vista desks are now manufatured in Poland afaik, there's just a few studer guys left in Switzerland, and I'm not even sure if there's offices left in Regensdorf.

Also, while the vista desks are good sounding desks, from a routing (patching) point of view looks like they came out from an old 80ies Dos computer..
They are quite flexible, but NOT intuitive or what I'd call user friendly.

It's a shame..

Cheu
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
(...)

The new vista desks are now manufatured in Poland afaik, there's just a few studer guys left in Switzerland, and I'm not even sure if there's offices left in Regensdorf.

Also, while the vista desks are good sounding desks, from a routing (patching) point of view looks like they came out from an old 80ies Dos computer..
They are quite flexible, but NOT intuitive or what I'd call user friendly.
the factory is in hungary:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tA3H23KMHCA

there are no more offices in regensdorf...

(most) harman r&d got centralized in the us i was told (dunno for sure).

___

i have to strongly disagree regarding the vista desks not being user friendly: imo they are the most easy walk-up broadcast desks!

what's different and sets them apart from other manufacturers is a design choice which makes a very clear distiction between mixing (including routing) and managing the desk (including patching):
managing indeed gets done on an external screen (although information could get displayed on the built-in screens: the layout allows for up to six screens if i remember right).

on an even more basic level, they have a configuration tool which allows you to set up the desk in pretty much any way you want; this tool (for good reason) is usually not available for sound engineers...

the desk's operating system is windows xp (possibly 98 or nt before, don't remember) or win7; the new desks run on linux.

___

p.s. what's exactly difficult about routing or patching? (see attached pics)
Attached Thumbnails
Studer mixing consoles...a short history-20191213_190214.jpg   Studer mixing consoles...a short history-20191213_185907.jpg  

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 1 day ago at 07:03 PM.. Reason: p.s. added
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
the factory is in hungary:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tA3H23KMHCA

there are no more offices in regensdorf...

(most) harman r&d got centralized in the us i was told (dunno for sure).

___

i have to strongly disagree regarding the vista desks not being user friendly: imo they are the most easy walk-up broadcast desks!

what's different and sets them apart from other manufacturers is a design choice which makes a very clear distiction between mixing (including routing) and managing the desk (including patching):
managing indeed gets done on an external screen (although information could get displayed on the built-in screens: the layout allows for up to six screens if i remember right).

on an even more basic level, they have a configuration tool which allows you to set up the desk in pretty much any way you want; this tool (for good reason) is usually not available for sound engineers...

the desk's operating system is windows xp (possibly 98 or nt before, don't remember) or win7; the new desks run on linux.

___

p.s. what's exactly difficult about routing or patching? (see attached pics)
Thanks for correcting me.. It's Hungary indeed..!

Regarding patching.. Dunno what to say.. It just doesn't speak to me..
(like the eq and the send UI.. Which is similar/same to the Soundcraft Vi desks)..

If I would work on it every day I'd get used to it (as with everything else in the end), but it simply doesn't speak to me..

As a tool is a great desk though..I never had a bad sounding show with a vista or a Vi (although they're not my fav desk to operate/mix on).

Cheu
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

of course having a working habit makes a difference: i'm working on a vista on a daily basis (as i own and operate 3 desks) - i like a lot of the features which i badly miss whenever i'm forced to work on any other desk!

but i hear you when you say the desk doesn't speak to you: i went to check out the prototype of the new midas heritage digital desk - amazing in many ways but no my cup of tea...

[and regarding vi's: these are heavily downgraded vistas, aiming at r'n'r - unfortunately, they are missing most of what makes the vistas special and it certainly didn't help their reputation that the soundcraft engineers never really got things going in a reliable way until they (folks from studer i was told...) fixed bugs: all good since running software version v4.8...]

p.s. and for the fun of it, here's another pic
Attached Thumbnails
Studer mixing consoles...a short history-20191213_185809.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search