The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Newport Folk Festival 2019 Sizzle!
Old 1 week ago
Super Moderator

Newport Folk Festival 2019 Sizzle!

A sincere thank you to the entire Folk family and beyond!

Sending much love and kindness to each and everyone of you...

60 years of fans, artists and staff coming together, giving all of themselves, and building a community like no other.
This year was one for the ages.

About the workflow:

What we had to work with was a stereo mix composite and no multitrack files. I split up the audio sections from this video clip into different various stereo tracks, so that I can process each one individually as needed. Then I synced the 'Jim James' and 'Dolly Parton' FOH mixes to their particular sections just enough to bring them a bit more forward in the mix. The available camera audio for those sections were not acceptable to me. I would have done this to all the other bands, but those sections were not too bad and time was of the essence since we only had five hours to get it done.

May the rest of the week bring you all things that make you smile!

Love you all very much!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Great work Steve...a wonderful overview, and very impactful and heartwarming.

The audio supports the visuals nicely...and when the rapid vision-cuts between performers start to pile up mercilessly, it's great to have that nice ballad-like number to 'centre' it all, as the audio track.

Nothing to justify or apologize for here...especially considering your time constraints to get it finished ! Hoping to see some 2019 individual bands/performers get their own showcase videos from the event...is that likely to follow, as per previous years ?
Old 1 week ago
Super Moderator

Thanks!

I'm always most critical about my work when it's still fresh. Colleen did a nice job editing the video. This is actually the rough cut. We were supposed to have an extra day, but Jay wanted it to be released today instead of (Thanksgiving USA) this Thursday.

I wish we had more time to get the other bands sound more dialed in. That said, they sounded good enough with the dynamic EQ and other stuff that was added.

Trey' tune was the most difficult to "fix" since we only had the FOH mix and his mic was distorting and quite sibilant. We got it the best we could have done in the time we had.

We have a few things that have come out and that are about to be released. Some bands, grabbed my master recordings and are doing their own thing. On Monday, I have a meeting with Bose and NFFI to discuss creating additional media that will include a few of the bands from 2019 and 2018 (maybe even 2017) for their Bose AR-enhanced apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android users. A limited group of music was produced and available to use during the 2019 festival itself when you went to their Bose AR tent. If you didn't have their glasses, but had their app, you were able to listen to a stereo mix with the visuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Great work Steve...a wonderful overview, and very impactful and heartwarming.

The audio supports the visuals nicely...and when the rapid vision-cuts between performers start to pile up mercilessly, it's great to have that nice ballad-like number to 'centre' it all, as the audio track.

Nothing to justify or apologize for here...especially considering your time constraints to get it finished ! Hoping to see some 2019 individual bands/performers get their own showcase videos from the event...is that likely to follow, as per previous years ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search