The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording nylon string guitar
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian J. Ludwig View Post
Ricardo is a colleague of mine. If you guys have any specific questions I could ask him.
It would be interesting to know some details about the setup, mics, pres, placement.

Thank you.
Old 11th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by PluckinTones View Post
It would be interesting to know some details about the setup, mics, pres, placement.

Thank you.
I gave Ricardo a shout to visit the topic.
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian J. Ludwig View Post
I gave Ricardo a shout to visit the topic.
What a nice thing to do!

- Ray H.

BTW, so much of the material on your sites is really nice. Keep up the great work!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Beautiful recorded sound from Marcelo Kayath and Ricardo Marui in that Suites & Sonatas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHi3e8zCOHE
For comparison, here is Aniello Desiderio - also via Ricardo Marui. Of course, the Rodrigo piece is far from Bach - as are Aniello Desiderio's technique's far from Marcelo Kayath's.

But one should be able to appreciate the [I think, huge] difference between the very nice Alessandro Marseglia guitar [played by Aniello] and the extraordinary Hermann Hasuser 1 [played by Marcelo]. [1]

My point would be that one is never, ever going to get close to this Hauser with this Marseglia [nor, barring poor string selection, vice versa]. . .

. . .and, to share another very fun recording from Ricardo.

Enjoy,

Ray H.

[1] String selection can also make an enormous difference on classical guitars - more so on some models than others. And results vary widely how well a given set of strings works on one guitar vs. a different guitar for the player's objectives. A given set can be rich, inviting and sparkly on one axe - but thin and irritating or dull on another. I'm assuming that both of these talented, highly experienced players have made such selections based on their personal preferences - which may likely also be different.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post

String selection can also make an enormous difference on classical guitars - more so on some models than others. A given set can be rich, inviting and sparkly on one axe - but thin and irritating or dull on another.
And all along I thought it was just my crappy technique!

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
And all along I thought it was just my crappy technique! [. . .]
Yes, apologies for the elementary info, Robert.

The intention of the post was to focus on dissimilar instrument models recorded by a single person with a strong, established and respected style - Ricardo Marui had already been presented.

I was strongly resisting the footnote when writing the post. But felt honesty in the argument must emphasize how far an otherwise great set of strings can pull down the greatest of classical guitars. . .and settled on the notion that something like it was a required caveat for more casual readers.

Assuming one is only switching between the 'best' from high-quality string vendors, I don't know that I have ever seen such gargantuan deltas on steel-string acoustic guitars, or electric guitars of any kind, or banjos, or Dobros, etc.? High-end classical guitars [the instruments themselves] are just a very different kind of game there in my experience.

However, if anyone does complain about your technique, just tell them I gave you a bad set of strings - I'll back you up.

Best wishes,

Ray H.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I meant it! My technique sucks! It is, however, encouraging that possibly a change of strings might improve the tone I get in my recordings. Plus, I'm saddled with a less than wonderful instrument. I played a $1500 Yamaha in our local store recently, and shall we say, I think I know where my Christmas bonus is going. Sure, it ain't no Hauser . . . but it's certainly an improvement over my current Cordoba.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search