The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Close but not quite there...
Old 3 weeks ago
Close but not quite there...

As a semi-professional, a perennial struggle are mostly church or live recordings that are good, close to great, but certainly not outstanding. Partly this is due to working with semi- or amateur musicians. Partly this is due to working in less than stellar acoustic environments, live settings with small children and poorly behaved adults, or venues with excessive noise. And then there are the complications of working in unfamilair settings, setup and teardown, and such.

I think of all these challenges a gift, requiring creative solutions or tools to give the best result to the client. But I also envy those of you who work in situations where these challenges are mitigated. I'd like to take my recordings to the next level. Rather than go on another gear hunt which doesn't offer a great price/result ratio, I'm thinking I need to pursue the recital, audition, and vanity project market. But again, I envy the opportunity to work with professional musicians in terrific spaces.

Any advice on expanding my customer base?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

trouble is that the same happens when working with pros - just on a higher level... - and ime the client base doesn't get wider: on the contrary actually!

maybe ask yourself what ensembles/choirs are in your area for which you'd love to work and then get in touch with them - if you're living out in the woods, chances are there are not many left so either accept that fact or move to a large city....
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

One of the best things you can do is to bring the client to a great acoustic. An acoustic that you know sounds good. Always return to that place.

Availability of a good piano is paramount and often that is rare.

Always charge for your work and never work for free. Never give your work away for nothing. It is a dead end.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

And make that client understand that that great acoustic recording space won't be free either.
Old 1 week ago
Good advice all. You're right, the typical acoustic is often fighting against capture.

I've got an excellent boys choir lined up for next year and the client is game to scout a great acoustic to capture.

Thanks!
Old 6 days ago
From personal experience...many small ensembles and choirs are looking for great recordings but don't have the money to afford the best recording engineers so they either DIY it themselves or have someone's parents do the recording and it almost never comes out well.

If you can tap into this market and bring great skills with you and charge a reasonable rate you will be in GREAT demand. As others have said... never do the recordings for free and if you charge a very small fee in the beginning it will be hard to raise it in the future.

Setting your rate structure is critical to getting ongoing business IMHO.

Best of luck!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Hi Chirs -

Your website has an expired cert - which is going to 'scare' people away - you will need to fix that.

Of course, so much opportunity today is discovered by participation in social media. I see several legitimate, talented sound engineers making great use of it.

People tend to buy from who they know. Social media, including YouTube, etc. is a good [maybe the best] way to address that, but there are other ways as well.

Best wishes,

Ray H.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search