The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tenor voice microphones
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Tenor voice microphones

Hi I am looking for suggestions for mic's for tenor voices.

Needs to be SDC for the visual aspect.

I am currently using DPA 4011c and have used Neu 184's and schoeps MK41's previously. All amazing mic's but due to the tone and build up of the voices its all a bit hard sounding. im wondering if there is a more suitable no so pristine mic that would get me closer with out as much work.

Thanks
nick
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_NIK View Post

Needs to be SDC for the visual aspect. [. . .]
Hi Nick -

First, I'm not a tenor.

I have used the Schoeps CCM41 [very similar to yours] for years on spoken dialog - I think I never use it for song.

I have a matched pair of Schoeps CCM5 mics that I sometimes use for music vocals - same reason mostly: I need something visually understated. My preference for sound of my own vocals would more often be a large ribbon or LDC.

But take this with a grain of salt - I still love the Schoeps! Maybe it is a bit harder to find just the right spot to place them in some rooms?

Maybe if this question was moved to a different section, you would see faster/better feedback. I don't think of your ask as being specific to remote/location. Just a thought.

Best wishes,

Ray H.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

recording in what kind of situations: studios/rooms/halls?

with the mic(s) at some distance (which what one usually wants on classically trained musicians), the room has a large impact on the sound and one either tries to capture some of it by using omni capsule(s) or then use a more directional pattern.

i'm mostly using mk41, mk4 or mk21 (plus a neumann tlm170, often in wide cardioid; expensive yet highly recommended! possibly too large for your requirements though) or a neumann kms104d (handheld) vocal mic (the digital version which to my ears for whatever strange reason sounds a bit 'softer' than the analog version) - on very rare occasions, i've been using the beyerdynamic m160 ribbon mic. blm/pcm can also yield nice results but their use is somewhat limited...

shaping the sound on the way in is another option - needs reasonable monitoring options on location though; i'm using channel strips or my desk's filters.

p.s. my mics don't care for register, gender or sex!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 12:38 AM.. Reason: edited once
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thanks for your replies
In all different types of halls and theatres from 800 - 4000 cap. Its a live show plus record. The reason it in this group is that although its not strictly remote recording the experience is more similar in this group than others.
The Mics are generally placed between chest and head height pointed towards mouth and starting distance is about 12 inches away.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Any mic will record the voice well. If it is harsh then the mic is too close or the voice is harsh sounding. It is not the microphone making the sound.

Start with the mic 4 feet away at minimum.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Where? Hall/church/big studio/small studio...?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Any mic [. . .] Start with the mic 4 feet away at minimum
When Plush speaks, Ray H listens. I don't always agree, but - in such cases - I at least suspect I may likely be wrong.

- Ray H.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Any mic will record the voice well. If it is harsh then the mic is too close or the voice is harsh sounding. It is not the microphone making the sound.

Start with the mic 4 feet away at minimum.
Hey Plush I might agree with you but that wont work in a live situation and as you say the voices are naturally harsh. 2k-3k would cut the head off you if not EQ'd.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Where? Hall/church/big studio/small studio...?
In all different types of halls and theatres from 800 - 4000 cap.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
(...) the voices are naturally harsh. 2k-3k would cut the head off you if not EQ'd.
the tlm170 has a dip starting at about 2k, reaching up to about 9k so it's got a built-in eq that might match your requirements well - its size is your enemy, not its 'sound'...

[i got the habit of measuring rooms before chosing/setting up mics: every place sounds different so i do hardly use a 'default' mic for a specific task unless it measures pretty flat and the room sounds reasonable or i want to use the mic for another specific reason.]

btw: why not use a high quality channel strip to compensate for variations in sound, be it from the voice(s), distance or room sound? - can recommend grace design m-103: very good pre, switchable impedance, easy to handle eq and comp!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Thanks dee. I’m using focurite red (new model) at the moment. Afew nice pre amps are on the cards alright. I have afew on a wish list. I’ll see if I can demo a 170
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

It’s Hefty investment to get afew of them whoa. At 2k a pop
Old 1 week ago
Find correct position and Pearl CC22)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search