The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MixPre 3/6 sound quality using batteries
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

MixPre 3/6 sound quality using batteries

Just got MixPre3 and notice a quality drop using battery power (4xAA) vs. usb power. Anyone know if this gets better using the L-mount and lithium battery?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Puzzling....how does this 'quality drop' manifest itself, what are the signs it's happening ?
It's safe to assume the mfrs would have paid attention to such disparities in what's essentially a portable device.

A reduced or sagging phantom power mic feed could be expected to result in increased background noise and/or reduced dynamic range in recordings....but it's hard to believe SD didn't test for this during pre-release testing ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I will have to test while plugging USB in and out and see what I hear. Thanks for the response.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
I never noticed that but honestly never listened for it. Get a sled and some Watsons. I have a big and medium one from B&H and will never look back!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I did another test and don't hear a difference now. I guess the mic was a little farther or something. I'm not getting any awards for my audio testing, thats for sure!! its a cool little unit.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebjam View Post
I did another test and don't hear a difference now. I guess the mic was a little farther or something. I'm not getting any awards for my audio testing, thats for sure!! its a cool little unit.
Buy the sled! honestly battery life is not a problem FWIW,,,,,
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Battery driven kit always sounds better than mains PSU imho
Too many compromises in line power ,formers and switched modes.
Old 3 weeks ago
TC2
Here for the gear

Quote:
I tried pulling out the AC power in the middle of a practice recording and noticed no difference with my MixPre 6.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
I have the MixPre 6 including the 4 battery sled, 8 battery sled, and MX-Powersled to HI-Q batteries. I almost always use the latter as I am also usually running a pair of Audio Limited A10 receivers as well.

But I've never had any issue in any configuration. Sounds like your subsequent conclusions are more likely on point.

And yes, they are surprisingly cool little units! Enjoy!

Ray H.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search