The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bill Burr: 50, Live from Madison Square Garden double vinyl comedy album!
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Bill Burr: 50, Live from Madison Square Garden double vinyl comedy album!

I just got the test lacquers for my 'Bill Burr: 50, Live from Madison Square Garden' double vinyl comedy record that I'm producing!

Gonna take a good listen to Tim Boyce's mastering and Alex DeTurk's cutting of my production and mixes. Shout out to Steve Kolakowsky for doing a great job as my Pro Tools mix engineer on board Aura Sonic's Tiny Big Mobile at The Shop Annex, NYC!

On the capture side of this project, I placed a Sennheiser MKH8060 at each onstage monitor position. Six mics surround the stage which captured the audience response quite nicely for this "last minute" gig.
Attached Thumbnails
Bill Burr: 50, Live from Madison Square Garden double vinyl comedy album!-05-bill-burr-msg-11.07.18.jpg   Bill Burr: 50, Live from Madison Square Garden double vinyl comedy album!-09-msg-welcomes-back-bill-burr-.jpg   Bill Burr: 50, Live from Madison Square Garden double vinyl comedy album!-09-i-placed-mkh8060-each-onstage-monitor-position..jpg   Bill Burr: 50, Live from Madison Square Garden double vinyl comedy album!-09-budget24-mini-makes-garden-.jpg   Bill Burr: 50, Live from Madison Square Garden double vinyl comedy album!-fb_img_1573682803089.jpg  

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

About 10 years ago, I recorded Bill at the Fillmore in San Francisco for Comedy Central. Shannon Hartman directed the video and Jon D'Uva mixed the recording for Art and Industry.
It was a fun gig with a very funny guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCJDLgQ6xFk
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Awesome, Paul!

Bill is quite hilarious! His timing is excellent. I'm so pleased with what we produced.

I checked the first few minutes of the YouTube clip of your linked us to and even though it's at 360P it sounds really good!

I'm enjoying this Live from MSG project, especially since Bill a great guy to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
About 10 years ago, I recorded Bill at the Fillmore in San Francisco for Comedy Central. Shannon Hartman directed the video and Jon D'Uva mixed the recording for Art and Industry.
It was a fun gig with a very funny guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCJDLgQ6xFk
Old 2 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Yesterday, I was in a listening session with Alex DeTurk at his great sounding mastering studio.

He cut a second set of reference lacquers for me based on my observations of the first set of references. During the listening session we made some additional changes to these updates, which should make this vinyl record sound exactly like I envisioned it to be.

I must say, it's much more difficult to make a "voice only" record sound good on vinyl. Music records have those musical overtones that seem to hide the imperfections when tracking a vinyl record.

I believe we have the right combination of adjustments to make it sound best across a wider group of turntable and cartridge qualities.

Next step, Cutting of the 14" masters, then platting, then test pressing. Cannot wait to hear the test pressings when they are done.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I'm very much out of touch with vinyl playback in this century, but what would be a reference cartridge/stylus in 2019, for judging the quality of your test pressing...moving magnet like the old Shure V15 series, or moving coil (requiring a step up head preamp)....or some entirely new/hybrid way of generating voltage from stylus movement ?

In other words, what's either a state of the art vinyl playback front-end....like a top shelf reference monitor is in a studio....or what's a safe mid-level cartridge/arm/turntable, that will ensure that it meets the criteria of a typical record owner's rig today ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
or what's a safe mid-level cartridge/arm/turntable, that will ensure that it meets the criteria of a typical record owner's rig today ?
I'm no vinyl expert, but I got into it a few years back when I worked at a film studio with a director and producer who were really into vinyl. I did a bunch of research and talked with the owners of several record stores in town, and the consensus "mid-level" was a Rega Planar 1. I've been really happy with mine. It's easy to setup, looks great, sounds good to me, has a simple design, and it's supposed to be easy to upgrade as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm very much out of touch with vinyl playback in this century, but what would be a reference cartridge/stylus in 2019, for judging the quality of your test pressing...moving magnet like the old Shure V15 series, or moving coil (requiring a step up head preamp)....or some entirely new/hybrid way of generating voltage from stylus movement ?

In other words, what's either a state of the art vinyl playback front-end....like a top shelf reference monitor is in a studio....or what's a safe mid-level cartridge/arm/turntable, that will ensure that it meets the criteria of a typical record owner's rig today ?
I'm still enjoying the ReVox B790/Ortofon VMS 20E mkII combo I picked up in the early '80s. I don't listen to a lot of vinyl these days, but when I do, it's usually TelArc, Sheffield Labs, or other meticulously cared-for bits of my life from the '70s into the '90s. Neither my trusty (first table) Pioneer PL12-D, nor the Technics SL-1200, nor the Thorens TD160 (with either a V15 or Ortofon) could track the TelArc 1812 finale. The ReVox still does... and I'm still satisfied, and love watching the occasional slack-jawed millennial's reaction to Holst or Tchaikovsky (or even to Emmy Lou and Gram Parsons) from a LP through adequately powered Acoustic Research Model 9 loudspeakers. Priceless.

One old guy's experience.

HB
Old 1 week ago
Super Moderator

Alex DeTurk likes to use the Ortofon Red cartridge for listening to his reference lacquers in his mastering studio. I must say, it sounds very nice. By that I mean, wide frequency response, low distortion resulting in high definition and realistic reproduction with good tracking. Super pleasant overall tone to my ears.

Quote:

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search