The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Clever comeback when the power in the theater went out
Old 4 weeks ago
Clever comeback when the power in the theater went out

Well, last night... at a remarkably fluid performance of the Brahms Requiem, at the REDACTED FOR MY OWN SAFETY theater, the power in the hall went out... not that we were left completely in the dark, because the emergency lights at the EXIT signs flipped on, but the stage was plunged into a twilight darkness at the least... and the players unable to see the score, or really very well the conductor, we all collectively hit the pause button.

Funny thing is, supposedly this happened the previous night, at the dress rehearsal, and the culprit fingered was the organ they'd brought in, so to cure this situation, laboriously a new extension cord was extended from the other half of the building. Even funnier, if your sense of humor is as developed as mine, last night again the whole hall went dark, but the only thing still working was the organ, its score glowing proudly and all buttons illuminated. The thoughtful first violin, also, was the only instrumentalist with a battery powered music stand light (!)

Well, eventually emergency overhead stage lights OF A SORT came on, and the final movement unfolded (and miraculously and fortunately, shortly after that, mere minutes!, I managed to locate a working extension cord plugged in somewhere thank goodness for my very own use, and if you say there are not gods of audio hovering over our every move, I say you're living the unexamined life) but best of all, packing up later, I heard one of the choristers muttering, "yeah... We rehearsed this last night!"

Attached Thumbnails
Clever comeback when the power in the theater went out-mt-gear-earlier-evening.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

To me, the funny part of this is that Brahms himself wouldn't even know what the hell you're on about here (let alone why it might be a problem for anybody).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A UPS is your friend....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
A UPS is your friend....
I never leave home without one (recording gigs) or two (live sound gigs). As much for surge protection as for butt-saving (and client-keeping) graceful shut-down.

HB
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
To me, the funny part of this is that Brahms himself wouldn't even know what the hell you're on about here (let alone why it might be a problem for anybody).
And I was wondering throughout the first half about the whole idea of music in the pre-industrial age, how would they assess it, how to compare different performances, it all had to be descriptive language and impressionism, inexact and essentially sorta whimsical. Probably highly dependent on who your patron was and which kingdom you belonged to.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Well, last night... at a remarkably fluid performance of the Brahms Requiem, at the REDACTED FOR MY OWN SAFETY theater, the power in the hall went out... not that we were left completely in the dark, because the emergency lights at the EXIT signs flipped on, but the stage was plunged into a twilight darkness at the least... and the players unable to see the score, or really very well the conductor, we all collectively hit the pause button.

Funny thing is, supposedly this happened the previous night, at the dress rehearsal, and the culprit fingered was the organ they'd brought in, so to cure this situation, laboriously a new extension cord was extended from the other half of the building. Even funnier, if your sense of humor is as developed as mine, last night again the whole hall went dark, but the only thing still working was the organ, its score glowing proudly and all buttons illuminated. The thoughtful first violin, also, was the only instrumentalist with a battery powered music stand light (!)

Well, eventually emergency overhead stage lights OF A SORT came on, and the final movement unfolded (and miraculously and fortunately, shortly after that, mere minutes!, I managed to locate a working extension cord plugged in somewhere thank goodness for my very own use, and if you say there are not gods of audio hovering over our every move, I say you're living the unexamined life) but best of all, packing up later, I heard one of the choristers muttering, "yeah... We rehearsed this last night!"

i like the looks of the racks/cases!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i like the looks of the racks/cases!
Thanks! Of course these are carefully crafted to look like crates from a traveling gypsy road show-- so that if any unsavory or any 'larceny in their hearts' types notice them, they would assume they contain juggling balls or disguises, maybe a lion-taming kit-- not beaucoup bucks in electronics.

Again, another thing that would fly right over the head of Mr. Brahms....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search