The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which shock mount for ORTF clip?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Which shock mount for ORTF clip?

Hi folks,

I need a shock mount that will hold two SDC's in an ORTF clip. I'm trying to decide between the Rycote INV-7, or the INV HG MKII. The HG looks like it might be more versatile and might handle the weight better. But the INV-7 is 10 bucks cheaper. The Rycote site doesn't offer much in the way of specs or weight limits.

I currently have a flat clip - this one:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NU...li=marketplace

but I'm thinking of getting a post-style on like this:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/FB...li=marketplace

I can either find some way to screw/glue a post onto the clip I have or get the clip with a post.

Either way I need a shock mount.

Any thoughts?

Any other shock mount I should consider?

Thanks!

Steve
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Try a Shure A53M with the 'post style' ORTF mount.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduncan View Post
Hi folks,

I need a shock mount that will hold two SDC's in an ORTF clip. I'm trying to decide between the Rycote INV-7, or the INV HG MKII. The HG looks like it might be more versatile and might handle the weight better. But the INV-7 is 10 bucks cheaper. The Rycote site doesn't offer much in the way of specs or weight limits.

I currently have a flat clip - this one:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NU...li=marketplace

but I'm thinking of getting a post-style on like this:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/FB...li=marketplace

I can either find some way to screw/glue a post onto the clip I have or get the clip with a post.

Either way I need a shock mount.

Any thoughts?

Any other shock mount I should consider?

Thanks!

Steve
I have Shapeways ORTF and XY 90 deg mounts for
MKH8040’s and a nose-to-nose Blumlein mount for
a pair of MKH30’s.
I also do MS with MKH30 with Rycote piggyback clips to hold a MKH8040 or MKH8050.
I use the INV HG MKIII for all of these options.
The regular INV7 is way too soft for this use.
If you are ever in doubt about what is the proper
Rycote mount to use, send the info. on weight, length, diameter to Rycote tech support and they can advise you. Note that in any situations where mic(s) are going to be held horizontal ( and esp. when held closer to one end) the torque is higher and you will need to use the stiffer mount).
eg for a single MKH40/50/30 held in the center you could use either a regular INV7 or the
INV7 HG MKIII but if held horizontally closer to one end you definitely need to use the HG MKIII.
I had bought some regular INV7’s but never use them. The INV7 HG MKIII are way more versatile.
Note, for a Single MKH8020/8040/8050 an INV3 is the proper Rycote to use.

Last edited by Folkie; 4 days ago at 08:11 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

I am a Rycote devotee for all shock mounting purposes.

I went through some trial and error on Rycote single Lyre and Duo-Lyre mounts, which I documented in the thread below. I even contacted Simon Davies for clarification on some things, and he was extremely helpful. The most important point is that you cannot go by shore rating alone; the Duo-Lyres are made made thicker at some key points as well.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?...624#msg2217624

If you read down to Reply #3 , you'll find the progression of least to most stiff:
Quote:
Single Lyre 62 > Single Lyre 72 > Duo-Lyre 68 > Single Lyre 82 > Duo-Lyre 72
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Either of these would probably hold your proposed 'post'...although the one with lyres might be unmatched to the compliance of the lyres, as it's intended to suport one mic alone, not a pair plus the Shapeways device....so the second one might be more 'generically accomodating' to your situation ?

https://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/...SABEgJxWPD_BwE or

https://www.magpiemusic.com.au/rode-...d-shock-mount/
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Try a Shure A53M with the 'post style' ORTF mount.
This is what i use for my shapeways mounts. Shure donuts work well.

Tom
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Either of these would probably hold your proposed 'post'...although the one with lyres might be unmatched to the compliance of the lyres, as it's intended to suport one mic alone, not a pair plus the Shapeways device....so the second one might be more 'generically accomodating' to your situation ?

https://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/...SABEgJxWPD_BwE or

https://www.magpiemusic.com.au/rode-...d-shock-mount/
Like the Rycote INV 7 (and similarly designed Rycote SDC shockmounts) these would not be best suited since they are designed to have plenty of compliance along the Z axis (i.e. the axis along the length of an end-address SDC mic) and this all changes if you turn it 90 degrees and insert the vertical post of a plastic ORTF/XY clip. In theory, a Rycote USM type shockmount would be better suited, but maybe the lyres would rise too high and, also, maybe the mics in ORTF would give too much weight off-centre? So some of the other options - such as the A53M - seem better suited, albeit lacking the performance of a lyre-based mount.

It is for these reasons that I have forgone the tempting convenience of a Shapeways clip for ORTF and stick to a pair of INV 7 mounts!

Cheers,

Roland
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

I also use the Shure donut.

I usually put a safety pin on the "other side" (sideways, through the holes on the Shapeways mount, thus making a "T" that prevents the mount from falling out).

DG
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 View Post
Like the Rycote INV 7 (and similarly designed Rycote SDC shockmounts) these would not be best suited since they are designed to have plenty of compliance along the Z axis (i.e. the axis along the length of an end-address SDC mic) and this all changes if you turn it 90 degrees and insert the vertical post of a plastic ORTF/XY clip. In theory, a Rycote USM type shockmount would be better suited, but maybe the lyres would rise too high and, also, maybe the mics in ORTF would give too much weight off-centre? So some of the other options - such as the A53M - seem better suited, albeit lacking the performance of a lyre-based mount.

It is for these reasons that I have forgone the tempting convenience of a Shapeways clip for ORTF and stick to a pair of INV 7 mounts!

Cheers,

Roland
Hopefully someone will inform Rycote they're doing it wrong:
Attached Thumbnails
Which shock mount for ORTF clip?-invision-product-line-02.png  
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I also use the Shure a53m for my shapeways ORTF mount, and I've never had any issues. Typically I use it on a regular mic stand, but I've even attached it to a boom pole for some film shoots, and it's worked great. Definitely seems lower tech than a "lyre" style mount, but it works.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by srscpa View Post
Hopefully someone will inform Rycote they're doing it wrong:
That's not wrong: the more compliant/floppy axis of the lyre is still correctly oriented whenever an SDC mic is fitted normally into an INV 7 or similar shockmount. Often when booming, for example, such shockmounts are at steep angles. At the back of my mind, I think Chris Woolf wrote a short paper somewhere: will have a search.

Cheers,

Roland

EDIT: found a short - not too technical - paper: https://mymic.rycote.com/uploadresou..._and_Graph.pdf
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

On-Stage MY700. Versatile - $20.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYMusic View Post
On-Stage MY700. Versatile - $20.
I don't think that's what he's looking for - the 3D printed mounts hold the microphones themselves, making it super convenient to setup an exact ORTF configuration with no measuring, but the mount has a "post" that has to slip into a shockmount like the Shure or Lyre models people have mentioned.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/srsrecordingservices
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Am I the only person who finds the inclusion of Rycote lyres in the Shapeways ads a little puzzling...if not misleading ?

A cursory initial view might suggest that they're either supplying the lyres as part of the Shapeways 3D printed products...or are they recommending (by including them in the pics) that Rycote supports are the recommended accessories for many of the Shapeways mounts ?

I was also unsure whether they weren't making 3D copies of the lyres and adding them to their mounts.....rycoat liars, in effect
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Am I the only person who finds the inclusion of Rycote lyres in the Shapeways ads a little puzzling...if not misleading ?

A cursory initial view might suggest that they're either supplying the lyres as part of the Shapeways 3D printed products...or are they recommending (by including them in the pics) that Rycote supports are the recommended accessories for many of the Shapeways mounts ?

I was also unsure whether they weren't making 3D copies of the lyres and adding them to their mounts.....rycoat liars, in effect
The Rycotes are merely a serving suggestion, part of a nutritious breakfast, contents may have settled...
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrReid View Post
The Rycotes are merely a serving suggestion, part of a nutritious breakfast, contents may have settled...
I'm sure you're right, I must've missed the familiar fine print ....without my reading glasses
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
That's not wrong: the more compliant/floppy axis of the lyre is still correctly oriented whenever an SDC mic is fitted normally into an INV 7 or similar shockmount. Often when booming, for example, such shockmounts are at steep angles. At the back of my mind, I think Chris Woolf wrote a short paper somewhere: will have a search.

Cheers,

Roland

EDIT: found a short - not too technical - paper: https://mymic.rycote.com/uploadresou..._and_Graph.pdf
I think you actually meant this article by Chris Woolf:- Keeping Microphones Quiet
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I think you actually meant this article by Chris Woolf:- Keeping Microphones Quiet
Thanks John. That was one I read years ago and found useful. Again it describes the issue of the difference between the axis (Z) axial to the diaphragm (Z) and the other axes.

It is a reminder, though, that the rubber diaphragm shockmount doesn't perform badly: as I said earlier, the Shure A53M, which is of this type and which others are using with Shapeways clips with post mounts, would seem a better way to go than an INV 7 or similar on its side. In fact, I might give this a go: the convenience of the Shapeways clips for ORTF has always looked attractive compared to fiddling with two INV 7 mounts!

Cheers,

Roland
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks John. That was one I read years ago and found useful. Again it describes the issue of the difference between the axis (Z) axial to the diaphragm (Z) and the other axes.

It is a reminder, though, that the rubber diaphragm shockmount doesn't perform badly: as I said earlier, the Shure A53M, which is of this type and which others are using with Shapeways clips with post mounts, would seem a better way to go than an INV 7 or similar on its side. In fact, I might give this a go: the convenience of the Shapeways clips for ORTF has always looked attractive compared to fiddling with two INV 7 mounts!

Cheers,

Roland
I think that, next to the Rycote Lyre, the "donut" suspension as used by Shure and Microtech Gefell are the next best thing - as Chris says in his article.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search