The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
When Pelicans are too much: What are you using for car transport to small gig?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

When Pelicans are too much: What are you using for car transport to small gig?

I have three or four differently configured small rigs I bring out, depending, from the same well of gear, so sadly I'm always changing what goes into the rack, cases and misc utility bags/backpacks. Looking to update the things I pack the gear into, as some is ready to bite the dust.

As far as gear transporting goes, if I can't fit it in my Camry and carry them myself into the gig, it's too big to use. I'd love to invest in some small, solid local transport cases, but most of the good stuff is too bulky and adds more weight to the carry than I'd hope. I don't fly these things so I don't need baggage worthy. And I'm the only one handling it, which is good because it doesn't have to survive someone else's handling, but bad because it does need to be carryable by just me. Decent quality medium, but not heavy duty.

I'm looking into repurposing fairly strong and light, molded, suitcase style foam or divider sectioned cases that are not as heavy duty as Pelicans but still suitable for local schlepping. I say repurposing because nearly all of what I'm seeing that's marketed for gear is just too Pelican-like, overkill, as is anything used I find that pops up.

What kind of medium duty, (hopefully sectioned but that can be DIY'ed) cases are you all using for small gigs? Thanks for any direction in this. Much appreciated : )

This kind of economy case would fit the bill. Anyone have any experience with these?

https://carrycasesplus.com/cases-by-...h=14-4.86-5.88

Last edited by rboy; 6 days ago at 09:57 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

It’s hard to tell from the pictures, but the latches and hinge look pretty flimsy.

I am pretty stingy with my cash and always look for bargains. Never regretted buying a Pelican case. Can’t say the same for some of the bargains I bought.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Harbor Freight(the cheap tool place with the flyers) sells Pelican-style cases for really low prices, and the quality is surprisingly good. I'm not sure what you mean when you say Pelican-like is overkill, but these are nice. I think the brand is Apache. There are also ammo cases and tool boxes/totes/bags that could work. You could probably find even cheaper versions on eBay or Alibaba.
Old 6 days ago
Smaller pelican cases? The 1510 travels nice. And there's now the Pelican AIR line that is lighter.

Or a backpack. Tupperware can be reasonable solution too.
Attached Thumbnails
When Pelicans are too much: What are you using for car transport to small gig?-motorcycle-gear.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

The arts and crafts market regular Rubbermaid type totes.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
Smaller pelican cases? The 1510 travels nice. And there's now the Pelican AIR line that is lighter.

Or a backpack. Tupperware can be reasonable solution too.
thats f***in' ballsy, christian.

you couldn't get me to ride one of those, microphones or not
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Misner View Post
thats f***in' ballsy, christian.

you couldn't get me to ride one of those, microphones or not
For a moment there, I thought that was a violin case strapped on the back....but I'm guessing it's a stands bag ?

We have a local musician who bicycles to rehearsals and gigs with his Guarneri violin (yes million $) strapped to his back....
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Would this be what you’re after? It’s a plano pistol case with egg crate foam on both sides, holds several mics very well and costs about $10. The picture is of a small case but they make larger sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
When Pelicans are too much: What are you using for car transport to small gig?-3627f4d6-db69-41ef-8843-c71e25ca86d4.jpg   When Pelicans are too much: What are you using for car transport to small gig?-ea2ba692-605c-49e6-bc67-7a04b7d17ad5.jpg  

Last edited by jheath; 2 days ago at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Grammer
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

For me, it's all about wheels. I do LowePro "carryon" sized roller bags (2), originally designed for cameras, for cables, connectors, bits and bobs... a large Swiss Army backpack for computer(s), recorder(s), headphones, etc, which can be strapped to the LowePro's handle... an OnStage speaker stand bag carries mic stands (3-4 lightweight AKG-branded tripods, and a couple of 11' Manfrotto for mains)... and a Harbor Freight-grade aluminum-clad "attache"-style briefcase for mics du jour.

If I need a mixer, I'll use a 2/4-wheel dolly (Sam's Club, $80) for the mixer case and most of the other stuff. I'd also travel in a van, or pull a trailer (more SR gigs than recording).

HB

Last edited by hbphotoav; 2 days ago at 12:13 AM..
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Depends on your budget, how much weight you're willing to tolerate, the degree of protection you want, and features you find essential.

I have a Pelican 1510 with a handle and rollers. I find it's easier to roll it from a parking lot into a venue than smaller hardside cases that only have a carry handle. By the time I load a case up, it can get to be more than I want to carry very far. The cases themselves have some weight, but they are sealed against moisture and humidity, which can be important, for lenses in particular.

For bigger stuff, I use a RockNRoller cart, but IMO it can eat up a lot of space in a car trunk. Cables typically go in a milk crate. Sometimes I may use a plastic stackable storage crates with lids from a place like Home Depot. If you use crates that are too big, they can get to be too heavy when loaded to lift out of a car trunk.

Rolling fabric luggage bags are also an inexpensive option. Have a couple I use to transport smaller speakers.

I'm constantly amazed at how much motorcyclists entrust to bungee cords. Not me. Ever.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
The cases themselves have some weight, but they are sealed against moisture and humidity, which can be important, for lenses in particular.
This is a double-edged sword: the fact that they are airtight also means they seal in whatever moisture was in the ambient air when you last opened them, so it's a good idea to keep a few silica-gel packets inside and to refresh them in the oven periodically.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search