The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New album recorded live in waiting rooms :)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

New album recorded live in waiting rooms :)

Hey!

I thought an album I made with my sister and friends entitled Waiting Rooms may interest the die-hard location recordists among you. Everything was recorded on location in waiting rooms across the UK. Mini-doc of the project/process here:

Generally just 4-tracks with no overdubs. Focus on the music and capturing the rooms.

Listen to the album in full here: https://wonderfulsound.bandcamp.com/album/waiting-rooms or do a Spotify search

It was a long but rewarding process and I'm happy to discuss any details. Curious what you fine people think about how it turned out!

Cheers,

Douglas.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Listing to the first one right now. I enjoy the 'place' in the recordings and the song writing is stellar, arrangement excellent. I will surely be listening to the whole thing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hi Douglas,

As a die-hard location recordist (especially outdoors) I really enjoyed this. Many thanks for posting. And I'll have to keep an eye out to see if your sister gigs up this way (north Norfolk)!

Cheers,

Roland
Old 2 weeks ago
great stuff! bravo
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. It really puts the "location" back into location recording, eh?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Care to share some slutzy details on mics? You seem to always have a main pair, a sdc vox mic, and a spot mic or two...think I saw Schoeps, maybe a pair of Line OM1s...
Nice job BTW!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Care to share some slutzy details on mics? You seem to always have a main pair, a sdc vox mic, and a spot mic or two...think I saw Schoeps, maybe a pair of Line OM1s...
Nice job BTW!
Thanks!

Yeah, generally a main pair positioned in such a way that the voice and guitar (when present) was then naturally center panned. Always a vocal spot mic, to create some sense of cohesion from place to place.

Decided to embrace the bleed, so opted for mics with good, neautral off-axis response. I didn't use any standard cardioids. Only SDC omnis (OM1, as you rightly pointed out) and wide-card Schoeps MK21 or Line Audio CM3. All recorded into the amazing Sound Devices MixPre6 which delivered the goods every time!

Never more than 5 channels, generally just 4.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

great project
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

What a great project. Keep us posted on where we can hear the results - not enough actual music on the vid!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
It's on Spotify
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
What a great project. Keep us posted on where we can hear the results - not enough actual music on the vid!
https://wonderfulsound.bandcamp.com/album/waiting-rooms
....as per OP's opening post
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

really cool .... the tuning at the beginning of Old Coat !!! love it ..

the hospital waiting room was probably never so happy !!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search