The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New album recorded live in waiting rooms :)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

New album recorded live in waiting rooms :)

Hey!

I thought an album I made with my sister and friends entitled Waiting Rooms may interest the die-hard location recordists among you. Everything was recorded on location in waiting rooms across the UK. Mini-doc of the project/process here:

Generally just 4-tracks with no overdubs. Focus on the music and capturing the rooms.

Listen to the album in full here: https://wonderfulsound.bandcamp.com/album/waiting-rooms or do a Spotify search

It was a long but rewarding process and I'm happy to discuss any details. Curious what you fine people think about how it turned out!

Cheers,

Douglas.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Listing to the first one right now. I enjoy the 'place' in the recordings and the song writing is stellar, arrangement excellent. I will surely be listening to the whole thing.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Hi Douglas,

As a die-hard location recordist (especially outdoors) I really enjoyed this. Many thanks for posting. And I'll have to keep an eye out to see if your sister gigs up this way (north Norfolk)!

Cheers,

Roland
Old 1 week ago
great stuff! bravo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. It really puts the "location" back into location recording, eh?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Care to share some slutzy details on mics? You seem to always have a main pair, a sdc vox mic, and a spot mic or two...think I saw Schoeps, maybe a pair of Line OM1s...
Nice job BTW!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Care to share some slutzy details on mics? You seem to always have a main pair, a sdc vox mic, and a spot mic or two...think I saw Schoeps, maybe a pair of Line OM1s...
Nice job BTW!
Thanks!

Yeah, generally a main pair positioned in such a way that the voice and guitar (when present) was then naturally center panned. Always a vocal spot mic, to create some sense of cohesion from place to place.

Decided to embrace the bleed, so opted for mics with good, neautral off-axis response. I didn't use any standard cardioids. Only SDC omnis (OM1, as you rightly pointed out) and wide-card Schoeps MK21 or Line Audio CM3. All recorded into the amazing Sound Devices MixPre6 which delivered the goods every time!

Never more than 5 channels, generally just 4.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

great project

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search