The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIXING OUTDOORS?? GOOD OR BAD IDEA??
Old 19th March 2008
NLP
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Brian, I've been touting the benefits of an all-cardboard building for a few years now. It's impractical for sure, but you can contain the mids and highs while the walls act as perfect bass traps. You establish the crossover frequency with the cardboard's thickness. heh

--Ethan
thecoolhunter.net - Cardboard Sound Box (A place for listening)
heh
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Seems to be a very old topic, but I reply.

Sure, it’s really comfy to mix outdoor. Pure physics. The only reason that usually we don’t do it, is nature/surrounding area itself. Many times unpredictable, noisy, or you distirb other. But nowadays, if you can grab a reliable pair of monitors, you can easily get a wonderful result, without worrying of reflections, reverbs, built-up bass etc. What you hear is what you get, basically.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
I've listened to stuff in cars...

Some studios even transmit on the FM band to the clients/artists cars in the parking lot as a reference.

Hey, how about mixing outside in a truck or RV?

I've heard good results from setups like that. heh
Stevie Wonder "called in" the mix on "I Just Called To Say I Love You" from his Rolls Royce while Calvin, his brother drove around the block at Wonderland. We borrowed a spare transmitter/exciter from the FM station he owned and set the antenna on the roof. He wanted the "perfect car mix". He won an Oscar.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Jim,
I own two small FM transmitters, have the antenna on the roof of the studio, and transmit mixes all the time.

After we mixed a few songs, the next day, I used to put a few mixes on loop, and drive into the village where I live every morning before that days session, take notes, do quick revisions, and be ready for the next day.

It was also wonderful when you had multiple (band member / producers)
Who wanted to hear each mix in their respective cars..
At the end of every mix, I just broadcast it, so each member could sit in their car and listen,
then give me feedback...
A beautiful thing!
Old 4 weeks ago
The pre transmitter we used was around 30 watts, pretty powerful. After about 2 hours a long break was taken, partly to avoid FCC detection and fines. It's rather illegal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search