The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Live Streaming Stravinsky, Haydn, and Daugherty from MSM
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Live Streaming Stravinsky, Haydn, and Daugherty from MSM

Hi all,

It's not so remote, but I thought you might be interested to see, or that I might show off, this last livestream we did at Manhattan School of Music:

https://www.msmnyc.edu/livestream/ms...eorge-manahan/

The whole performance is pretty great, but of particular note might be the end of the last movement of the Haydn "Farewell" Symphony, starting around 53:30...

I set the mics and was mixing this particular concert, and another engineer at the school was doing the camera and titling work (definitely the harder part!)

The stream is captured and broadcast using Sony PTZ cameras, Blackmagic routers, Embedders, ATEM switchers, and PCIe cards, and Livestream studio on a beefy Dell desktop.

My setup was a slightly large tree of KM131s and 8020 flanks, with soloist and section spots, all fed onto our Dante network via Focusrite MP8r preamps/converters and mixed live to stereo on a DM2000.

Last edited by king2070lplaya; 4 weeks ago at 08:08 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Bruce Watson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
The whole thing is pretty great, but of particular note might be the end of the last movement of the Haydn "Farewell" Symphony, starting around 53:30...

I set the mics and was mixing this particular concert, and another engineer at the school was doing the camera and titling work (definitely the harder part!)
Don't sell yourself short. That's one of the best Decca Tree recordings I've heard since Decca itself was using Trees. Nice imaging, good balance, strings sound good, winds, horns, all of it is smooth and polished. You're a pro and you've got an excellent understanding of Teh Tree, and it really shows. Good on ya.

Nice group too, and nice sounding venue. It must be nice to have such talented musicians to work with.

If there's a nit to pick, I found the levels to be really low. I was up around 85 dB on my Grace headphone amp. For reference most internet radio streams work pretty well for me at around 50dB. So when the replay of the stream started I couldn't hear a thing. Level could just be a Livestream thing, IDK.

Thanks for sharing this. A perfect thing to watch/listen to on a Fall Sunday. I even got my wife to watch the final movement of the Haydn. She loved it. Bravo!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
jimjazzdad's Avatar
Thank for posting that link Kevin. I listened to the whole concert and thoroughly enjoyed it - both the superb recording and the musical performance (I have a soft spot for young orchestras). The Haydn "farewell" was a hoot. Ms. Leo was very impressive too; I particularly enjoyed Trail of Tears piece...what were you using for her spot mic?
Chapeau!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
If there's a nit to pick, I found the levels to be really low. I was up around 85 dB on my Grace headphone amp. For reference most internet radio streams work pretty well for me at around 50dB. So when the replay of the stream started I couldn't hear a thing. Level could just be a Livestream thing, IDK.
I need to look into this more. I only have the “limiter” on the DM2k, which isn’t great or fast enough to be a true peak limiter, and was aiming not to go over on the big moments in the Daugherty. I also found that the volume in the website video window defaulted to 50%, and needed turned up to get to a reasonable level.

Jim, the spot on the flute was a single MK4 on an active stand.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
What terrific young musicians. I've so far only heard the Stravinsky which was really excellent!

Also the recording - very fine audio sound and balance - you can't do better than that, each part being clearly heard and all in a very fine balance. I thought the camera work very good too. A really top piece of work.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
I need to look into this more. I only have the “limiter” on the DM2k, which isn’t great or fast enough to be a true peak limiter, and was aiming not to go over on the big moments in the Daugherty. I also found that the volume in the website video window defaulted to 50%, and needed turned up to get to a reasonable level (...)
on those rare occasions i'm still using the dm2000, i'm using an equally old tc dbmax or finalizer96k on the mix bus to get levels to where i want them; all very reliable (and quite capable) gear imo! - did you do parallel 5.1 and stereo mixes or just stereo? care to expand a bit on the levels and pan of the tree mics?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
Nice capture and mix Kevin, with a wonderful open-ness and spacious about it.

Oddly enough, when the 'slow orchestral walkout' is almost complete (last 2 violins walking off to the left wing exit) from 57:50 onwards, the stereo image doesn't completely follow them...there's some strong central ambience which remains.

I wonder if that was perhaps the flank/outrigger mics ambience being panned to the centre or right, so that there'd be something tangible even as they departed (or maybe they were wireless transmitting ) ?

Regardless, a very rewarding experience to both listen to and watch...well done !
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
It's really lovely and engaging. Makes me want to reconsider my extremist opinion on Neumann KM series microphones. How dare they sound excellent under the right hands and faders?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
Nice job on your recording. Sounds like I was there, which is, to say the obvious, a rave.

I really like the Yamaha DM2000. If it didn't need so many (expensive) Dante cards to allow 32 channels at 96k (four I think), I would have gotten one of those instead of the A&H SQ6. But. . . . I am not at all unhappy with the A&H. Sounds good, Dante at 96k, great ergos, and some nice surprises such as some high quality "outboard" plugins. All in all, a good piece of kit.

D.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #10
I was just mixing to stereo, no simultaneous surround mix.

The tree, I just left panned hard L and R, and spent a good bit of time during the dress tuning the center mic balance. I can’t remember exactly where it was, maybe around -1.5 to -2.5 throughout? The flanks were hard L and R and down about 10db in the mix, and I adjusted their level a few dB per piece, to suit my taste in how big or clear each piece of rep should sound.

The tree and outriggers setup was not to Decca spec, so I figured it would be better to keep things simple in terms of panning and levels. I started with the L and R tree mics and brought the center up until I was happy with the image, and then added the outriggers a little bit until it all felt fluffy but not overly stretched. I was listening on our big ATC’s and on Sennheiser 650s for that bit.

The KM131 is a beautiful mic, and captures SO much low end. I did put about +2 or +3 dB of high shelf EQ at 10k onto them, to brighten them up a bit. I wish Neumann just made a cap like this; the ak30 is a little too bright and the ak31 so flat.

The DM2k serves our needs at the school very well, but we have the same gripe about Dante connectivity; we have 3 cards and run at 48k for 48 channels IO. With redundancy that’s 6 Ethernet cables running to the board. Seems silly when a modern console can have all its Dante IO, at all sample rates and with redundancy, on 2. But considering how many are needed to accomplish this in an analog run, I will not complain!

Thanks all for the compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
on those rare occasions i'm still using the dm2000, i'm using an equally old tc dbmax or finalizer96k on the mix bus to get levels to where i want them; all very reliable (and quite capable) gear imo! - did you do parallel 5.1 and stereo mixes or just stereo? care to expand a bit on the levels and pan of the tree mics?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 

Kevin... just now able to listen a bit... truly wonderful recording, mix, and live video. It's a beautiful hall, to be sure... but this is making me smile largely just listening. It also gives me inspiration for my next couple of things... albeit in not so nice an environment.

Well done, sir!

HB
Old 2 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
Liked the brief segment showing the conductor's face around 1:33 ish. Great to see his face instead of just the back of his head.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #13
Thanks Harry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
Kevin... just now able to listen a bit... truly wonderful recording, mix, and live video. It's a beautiful hall, to be sure... but this is making me smile largely just listening. It also gives me inspiration for my next couple of things... albeit in not so nice an environment.

Well done, sir!

HB
Old 5 days ago
  #14
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
on those rare occasions i'm still using the dm2000, i'm using an equally old tc dbmax or finalizer96k on the mix bus to get levels to where i want them; all very reliable (and quite capable) gear imo! - did you do parallel 5.1 and stereo mixes or just stereo? care to expand a bit on the levels and pan of the tree mics?
I’m looking forward to listening to this tonight when I get the chance on a decent rig.
I have a DM2000 also with a mix of Dante and AES cards. What I usually do to control peaks and level etc on the master fader is to assign an insert to the 2 bus, and setup an Aux fader in the Pro Tools session that corresponds to that I/O. I can then assign anything I feel is required. It works really well as long as you remember to save the input patch and output patch and your preset links to those. Otherwise it’s like, why is no signal passing through the 2 buss? Doh
Old 5 days ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten10MXR View Post
I’m looking forward to listening to this tonight when I get the chance on a decent rig.
I have a DM2000 also with a mix of Dante and AES cards. What I usually do to control peaks and level etc on the master fader is to assign an insert to the 2 bus, and setup an Aux fader in the Pro Tools session that corresponds to that I/O. I can then assign anything I feel is required. It works really well as long as you remember to save the input patch and output patch and your preset links to those. Otherwise it’s like, why is no signal passing through the 2 buss? Doh
over here, nuendo serves just as a backup, the broadcaster gets the desk's output (with the dynamics inserted).

but it's really been some time since i had to do this on a dm2k: while still amazing in some ways, imo it's lacking quite a few functions so i'm having a hard time going back to it or any other dynosaur desk which slow down speed of use... - however, about half a year ago, i had to make things happen on very large analog desk: now that was fun?!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump