The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Piano Quartet Concert - Array Height Compromises
Old 6th October 2019
Gear Addict

Piano Quartet Concert - Array Height Compromises

I’m recording a piano quartet concert this evening. Setup and dress rehearsal went well. I’ve had to make some compromises on the array height due to the fact that it’s a concert and the decision makers want the mic array to remain low (like 2’ off of the stage floor level). Unfortunately, the music stands the musicians are playing from are blocking the stringed instruments from seeing the main array. Customer is very happy with the sound, but I know it could be even much better if I were to have the freedom to raise the array to the proper level. I thought of throwing up a pair of Omni boundaries on the stage looking under the music stands up to the instruments but I’m out of recording channels and it’s a little late to be switching things up too much.

It is a concert afterall and not a recording session, but the recordings will be played on the radio....and as the engineer, it’s my job to be prepared next time with a workaround.

Have you encountered this scenario and worked around it with some success?

Thanks.
Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear

Perhaps a low AB pair of omnis immediately in front of the strings, and a pair of spots on the piano? You would have to mix in post and add some digital reverb, if you have that option, but it seems workable. I had to do a similar thing with a soprano and piano in a weird venue.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search