The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Consider subscribing to the three new Sub-Fora!
Old 5th October 2019
Super Moderator

Consider subscribing to the three new Sub-Fora!

Important note:

Please consider subscribing to the three new sub-forums, 'All Things Technical,' 'Mobile & Location Rigs' and *****, Crew & Musician Jobs & Referrals' if you want to get the full experience of the 'Remote Possibilities in Location Recording and Production' forum and its topics!

Furthermore, if your new posts are "tech-centric," related to "mobile and location facilities and rigs without any particular music genre, you must post them in these sub-forums. Any gear referrals, crew and musician jobs inquiries should also be posted in this "referrals" sub-forum.

I will move new posts from the main forum, as a courtesy, but it is necessary to post these specific subjects in their proper sub-forums. If I notice that this new rule is not being addressed and applied, I may either delete the thread, banned the chronic offenders or both.
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

Jeez Steve, you've sure been busy - reorganizing the forum, moving posts, keeping us up-to-date on your thinking behind the restructuring...thank you for all your efforts!

Perhaps, when you have time in your busy life as a real-life remote-ster, you could elaborate a bit on the guidelines for which forum or sub-forum to post in. For example, If I was looking for advice on recording a bassoon soloist in an orchestral setting, I would imagine that the main forum is the place? Similarly, for discussion about the drummer's 'right knee technique' I would look in the main forum? But what about the boojum/jnorman array versus the Tony Faulkner 4 mic array...All Things Technical or the main forum, as it really is about acoustic recording? And do discussions of small, portable, battery-operated rigs or the best hand carts for load-ins on location fit in Mobile & Location Rigs? FWIW, I think it will save you a lot of work in the future, if you can qualify now what your expectations are with regard to categorization. Thanks again for all you do.
Old 5th October 2019
Super Moderator

Jeez is right, I have indeed been busy reorganizing, moving posts and such.

I'm a few days behind schedule with my "day job" paying projects because I found it necessary to get this done sooner than later.

The guidelines are quite simple. If you're discussing or looking for advice for some specific music or non-music project, post it on the main board. If you're just talking about the gear, or something technical, that doesn't necessarily have to do with any particular music genre, post it in the 'All Thing Technical' sub-forum. Same with mobile and location rigs, if it's about the mobile unit or portable gear and not music related, post it in the 'Mobile & Location Rigs' sub-forum.

Let us take your example into consideration...

If you were looking for advice on recording a bassoon soloist in an orchestral setting, (or a electric guitar in a rock, jazz, funk, etc. band) you would indeed post it in the main forum.

If were discussing the actual technique and its principles, it should go in the 'All Things Technical,' yet if it's music centric and you're discussing a particular instrument or music style, I feel it should go in the main forum. I believe in time everything will work out and make sense. And, if it doesn't make sense, let me know via DM and I will move the thread to the proper location.

I believe the boojum/jnorman array versus the Tony Faulkner four mic array even though is technically a technical discussion, I feel it should go in the main forum because it is about acoustic recording.

Yes, discussions about small, large, medium sized portable rigs, battery-operated rigs or the best hand carts for load-ins on location and such should be placed in the 'Mobile & Location Rigs' area.

Keep in mind, there may be some threads that got moved incorrectly, or that someone posted a topic that perhaps should be placed somewhere else. Just let me know and I shall make the changes if they are applicable.

Thanks for being cool about this! It's quite refreshing to me as of late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Jeez Steve, you've sure been busy - reorganizing the forum, moving posts, keeping us up-to-date on your thinking behind the restructuring...thank you for all your efforts!

Perhaps, when you have time in your busy life as a real-life remote-ster, you could elaborate a bit on the guidelines for which forum or sub-forum to post in. For example, If I was looking for advice on recording a bassoon soloist in an orchestral setting, I would imagine that the main forum is the place? Similarly, for discussion about the drummer's 'right knee technique' I would look in the main forum? But what about the boojum/jnorman array versus the Tony Faulkner 4 mic array...All Things Technical or the main forum, as it really is about acoustic recording? And do discussions of small, portable, battery-operated rigs or the best hand carts for load-ins on location fit in Mobile & Location Rigs? FWIW, I think it will save you a lot of work in the future, if you can qualify now what your expectations are with regard to categorization. Thanks again for all you do.
Old 8th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Important note:

Please consider subscribing to the three new sub-forums, 'All Things Technical,' 'Mobile & Location Rigs' and *****, Crew & Musician Jobs & Referrals' if you want to get the full experience of the 'Remote Possibilities in Location Recording and Production' forum and its topics!

Furthermore, if your new posts are "tech-centric," related to "mobile and location facilities and rigs without any particular music genre, you must post them in these sub-forums. Any gear referrals, crew and musician jobs inquiries should also be posted in this "referrals" sub-forum.

I will move new posts from the main forum, as a courtesy, but it is necessary to post these specific subjects in their proper sub-forums. If I notice that this new rule is not being addressed and applied, I may either delete the thread, banned the chronic offenders or both.
Whereabouts are these located Steve?

My sense of direction is not that great, you should see the trouble I have finding coda.

(Funnily enough I always manage to locate the pub at the end of a gig).
Old 8th October 2019
Super Moderator

The whereabouts of these three new sub-forums are located just below the title of the forum in the forum list on the main GS page and when you go to the Remote... forum, they are just about all the threads.

The box says, Sub forums within the main forum.

Oh, and that missing coda could be just outside that pub.

Hope this is helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton View Post
Whereabouts are these located Steve?

My sense of direction is not that great, you should see the trouble I have finding coda.

(Funnily enough I always manage to locate the pub at the end of a gig).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Unhappy

Sadly, I have noticed that the sub forums are getting a lot less use than the main one.

Loggin in today after several days and there were plenty of new posts in the main Remote forum, but none at all in the sub forums.
Old 4 weeks ago
Super Moderator

I don't know about that...

At this moment in time, I see six members and eight new posts on the main page and four members and four new posts on the 'All Things Technical' area.

Doesn't seem too bad considering all the hoopla about the new changes.

The other two sub-forums have no activity, but those topics rarely had movement in the main page anyway. Now the mobile and location rig and jobs and rental folks have a place to drop their posts.

I trust the Jobs and equipment rental forum will eventually pick up once it is know that there is a place for that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Sadly, I have noticed that the sub forums are getting a lot less use than the main one.

Loggin in today after several days and there were plenty of new posts in the main Remote forum, but none at all in the sub forums.
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Quote:

Today at this exact moment, I see twelve members and seven new posts on the main page and nine members and five new posts on the 'All Things Technical' area.
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Quote:

Today at this exact moment, I see ten members and three new posts on the main page and six members and five new posts on the 'All Things Technical' area.
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Quote:

Today at this exact moment, I see five members and two new posts on the main page and five members and three new posts on the 'All Things Technical' area.

Oh, no!!!! This may work out after all.
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Quote:

Today at this exact moment, I see nine members and one new post on the main page and four members and five new posts on the 'All Things Technical' area.

Seems like a few members of this forum are getting the hang of it!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Exclamation Beware !!!

One thing to be aware of with the new forum layout.

When I read a forum I read all the threads that interest me and then makk the forun "Read" so it's easier next time.

BUT

Doing this with the Remote forum automatically marks all the Sub Forums "Read" as well, even if you have not read them (hence my earlier post saying peoplr were not using the sub forums).

So - I now read all the sub-forums as well BEFORE marking the main forum read.

An anomily of the system - I have missed sub-forum threads in the past because I thought I had read everything I wanted to - until I discivered this.

Just to make everyone aware.
Old 2 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I will look into this ASAP.

I also like to mark my forums read when applicable. I trust we shall be able to fix this issue soon.

Keep in mind, this happens to all main forums (on GS) that have sub-forums, not just the 'Remote Possibilities...' forum.

At the moment, when you mark the main page as "read" all its sub-forums are also marked "read" as well.

I guess at the moment, please consider doing what John is doing and read whichever sub-forums you want to read then mark the main forum read.

That being said, if you check the sub-forums first, then mark them as "read," the main and other sub-forums are NOT automatically marked as "read."

Again, I will look into this system anomaly that is happening across all forums on this website.

Quote:
One thing to be aware of with the new forum layout.

When I read a forum I read all the threads that interest me and then makk the forun "Read" so it's easier next time.

BUT

Doing this with the Remote forum automatically marks all the Sub Forums "Read" as well, even if you have not read them (hence my earlier post saying peoplr were not using the sub forums).

So - I now read all the sub-forums as well BEFORE marking the main forum read.

An anomily of the system - I have missed sub-forum threads in the past because I thought I had read everything I wanted to - until I discivered this.

Just to make everyone aware.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah, that's what is happening. Good spotting, John.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Ah, that's what is happening. Good spotting, John.

D.
Yes, so for now while I investigate for a fix, if you look at the sub-forums first, then mark them read as needed, the main and other sub-forums will not be automatically marked read. To reiterate, this only happens when you mark the main page "read" first.
Old 1 week ago
Super Moderator

I looked into this with the powers at GS and they agree that is not expected behavior. I was informed that they shall be filing a ticket about this issue today.

That said, they are not sure when it will get solved, but they will be keep me posted on the developments.

Fingers crossed it will not be too long!

In the meantime, please consider looking at the sub-forums you're interested in first, then hit the "Mark This Forum read" when applicable. This will keep all the other forums current for your viewing pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I will look into this ASAP.

I also like to mark my forums read when applicable. I trust we shall be able to fix this issue soon.

Keep in mind, this happens to all main forums (on GS) that have sub-forums, not just the 'Remote Possibilities...' forum.

At the moment, when you mark the main page as "read" all its sub-forums are also marked "read" as well.

I guess at the moment, please consider doing what John is doing and read whichever sub-forums you want to read then mark the main forum read.

That being said, if you check the sub-forums first, then mark them as "read," the main and other sub-forums are NOT automatically marked as "read."

Again, I will look into this system anomaly that is happening across all forums on this website.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search