The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Forum Format Feedback
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

Forum Format Feedback

I know it’s intended as an improvement but
I find the new main forum plus sub-forums format very frustrating to use.
I am used to scanning just one list for new posts
that I might learn from or contribute advice to.
Now I have 5 lists to scan if I don’t want to miss
something.
I have often learned from and contributed to threads on genres of music (eg electric) that I’m not particularly interested in.
How many people using this new format
will not take the time to scan all 5 lists
and miss information that might be useful to
them or that they might be able to contribute
to?
For me, and I suspect many others, this
cross-pollination of information is one of the
most valuable aspects of the Remote Possibilities
Forum. I fear that too much of this will be lost
with this new format.
Grudgingly I will go through all 5 lists but
likely not as often.
How many others will not make the extra effort
to go through all the lists?
How much cross-pollination will be lost?
Thanks for listening.
Bill
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Nut

I couldn't agree more! Can we have the old forum back, please?
Old 1st October 2019
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

Or maybe a "show all" button?
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Maniac

My initial reaction is "...^ what they said", but I will try it for a bit before I offer my final verdict.

Having said that, I am struggling to see how this is an improvement. Having so many segmented sections will make it difficult to get a "helicopter view" of the section threads.

I absolutely hate going to the Presonus Forums due to the segmentation to the single product....
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

I agree - the sub forum setup is awkward.
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Addict
Agree too.
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

Agree, not keen on it either. People may post in the wrong forum and it will have to be properly categorised and moved by the mods. What if the poster can't decide which subforum is best or that the post is across a couple of subfora. A single list is pragmatic and saves everyone time.
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Agree, not keen on it either. People may post in the wrong forum and it will have to be properly categorised and moved by the mods. What if the poster can't decide which subforum is best or that the post is across a couple of subfora. A single list is pragmatic and saves everyone time.
....and.... I can't imagine how much time it will take to move the historical content into the new sub-categories.
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

thumbs down on the new format.
If it must stay, let's have a "show all" button; or, even better, a preference button (permanent until the user changes preferences) to allow a choice between old and new.
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

No Steve NO! Sub forums are not an improvement...unless you can give us a "View all new posts" or a "View all sub forums" option. (Please)
Old 1st October 2019
Super Moderator

There are now seventeen forums with sub-categories. Let us see how things transpire.

I want all genres and members to be able to post their advice, observations and enlightenment without disturbing the vibe of any particular sub-category.

Please give it a chance.

Furthermore, a view all is a great idea, yet let's see how things work out once every thread has been successfully migrated to the four sub-categories.
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

I do not like the sub forums.
I cannot read anything in a thread, as it is covered by commercial popups covering the right hand side on my ipad ios13.
I cannot close the ads, and Icannot make the text narrower.

Is this a cosmetic change coinciding with the sub fora or is this ios 13 ?
Old 1st October 2019
Super Moderator

The sub-categories do not have anything to do with the "cosmetic change." No idea if IOS 13 has to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
I do not like the sub forums.
I cannot read anything in a thread, as it is covered by commercial popups covering the right hand side on my ipad ios13.
I cannot close the ads, and Icannot make the text narrower.

Old 1st October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
There are now seventeen forums with sub-categories. Let us see how things transpire.

I want all genres and members to be able to post their advice, observations and enlightenment without disturbing the vibe of any particular sub-category.

Please give it a chance.

Furthermore, a view all is a great idea, yet let's see how things work out once every thread has been successfully migrated to the four sub-categories.
Steve,

My only issue right now is that new replies do not seem to be bumping threads to the top of the main Remote thread list.

I posted two replies in this thread earlier today. It did bump to the top of All Things Technical, but not the main thread list where it appears far down the list. The Replies and Views for all threads there are also blanked out.

NAB 2019: New Zoom F6

If the "master" Remote thread list is no longer going to bump active posts, I think a compromise that might satisfy everyone's criticism of the subforums would be to implement a "Show Unread Posts" button which Taperssection has. That way, you can easily get caught up on posts you missed since last login without having to hunt through the subforums. I wouldn't be able to keep track of that place without it.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,
V
Old 1st October 2019
Super Moderator

I will indeed look into this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltronic View Post
Steve,

My only issue right now is that new replies do not seem to be bumping threads to the top of the main Remote thread list.

I posted two replies in this thread earlier today. It did bump to the top of All Things Technical, but not the main thread list where it appears far down the list. The Replies and Views for all threads there are also blanked out.

NAB 2019: New Zoom F6

If the "master" Remote thread list is no longer going to bump active posts, I think a compromise that might satisfy everyone's criticism of the subforums would be to implement a "Show Unread Posts" button which Taperssection has. That way, you can easily get caught up on posts you missed since last login without having to hunt through the subforums. I wouldn't be able to keep track of that place without it.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,
V
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Head

You have damaged the value of this website significantly.
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

This is confusing, sorry to say

Matti
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Head

I too am disappointed with the 4 sub-forums. It feels like separating the salt and pepper . I am involved in and interested in all 4 categories, play and record acoustic and electric music as well as like to follow the gear side of it all. I like to read about Schoeps vs DPA, then about how a beyer m-160 makes a great drum overhead. To peruse 4 sub-forums is cumbersome and I’m far more likely to just move on in my web browsing rather than look at all 4 categories. Please bring a view all button quickly! As an aside, I also occasionally read the live sound forum and although there is a lighting sub-forum, I’ve never visited it...not for lack of interest in lighting....
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

I also am very confused and not a fan of the new format. I find myself more likely to give up and go elsewhere than to try to find an interesting thread now.

Also what happens if a thread starts to cross the boundaries of a sub forum now? Does it get moved around again? If we start talking about acoustic music recording in the thread about the new Samar ribbon does it get moved out of All Things Technical? Or are we not allowed to do that anymore?

New format seems confining and confusing, and seems like it will limit free discussion.

-Mike
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Im also not a fan of the subforums. More of a hassle to use and breaks up the flow of reading threads. Normally i like to be more supportive of new ideas, but this feels clunky.
Old 2nd October 2019
Try to please everyone and you'll end up pleasing no one. Steve obviously had an issue with the classical and acoustic recordists finding a home on his forum, so...
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

First picture is how it looks now here, all the threads are written "moved".

Second picture is what I get when I click for example on the Moved:String Quartet in small room >>>>> 16 hours ago

Too bad.

Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Forum Format Feedback-01.jpg   Forum Format Feedback-02.jpg  
Old 2nd October 2019
Steve,

I think I understand what you’re trying to do, and I applaud you for trying to make improvements, to make the forum more welcoming to all.

That said, I really don’t care for this change.

When I come to GS, I’m only really interested in browsing this forum, because this is the kind of audio work I do almost exclusively. I find it very informative to read about people recording remotely for other types of work and it informs my knowledge of how to better do my job. I don’t often contribute because I don’t have any expertise to add to the matter, but I do read it nonetheless.

Having all of this info now spread out and compartmentalized means that fewer people are going to experience this environment that has been going on here for as long as I’ve been a member. We’ll all mostly go to our corners, and the sense of “group” I anticipate will suffer immensely.

If there was a way to have the front page show all threads, and then have categorized sub forums to filter results for people who want that, I think that may have more the effect you are looking for.

And while I believe your intention was to make non-classical remote folks feel more welcome here, I think the major reaction will be to make the classical folks feel unappreciated and unwanted, by sticking those topics in their own hidden corner. If that stuff isn’t interesting to-, and is keeping pop music remotists away, it would seem their attitude is the exclusive one, and not vice versa.
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
Steve,

I think I understand what you’re trying to do, and I applaud you for trying to make improvements, to make the forum more welcoming to all.

That said, I really don’t care for this change.

When I come to GS, I’m only really interested in browsing this forum, because this is the kind of audio work I do almost exclusively. I find it very informative to read about people recording remotely for other types of work and it informs my knowledge of how to better do my job. I don’t often contribute because I don’t have any expertise to add to the matter, but I do read it nonetheless.

Having all of this info now spread out and compartmentalized means that fewer people are going to experience this environment that has been going on here for as long as I’ve been a member. We’ll all mostly go to our corners, and the sense of “group” I anticipate will suffer immensely.

If there was a way to have the front page show all threads, and then have categorized sub forums to filter results for people who want that, I think that may have more the effect you are looking for.

And while I believe your intention was to make non-classical remote folks feel more welcome here, I think the major reaction will be to make the classical folks feel unappreciated and unwanted, by sticking those topics in their own hidden corner. If that stuff isn’t interesting to-, and is keeping pop music remotists away, it would seem their attitude is the exclusive one, and not vice versa.
Exactly how I feel it!
Old 2nd October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
.....I cannot read anything in a thread, as it is covered by commercial popups covering the right hand side on my ipad ios13.
I cannot close the ads, and I cannot make the text narrower.

IOS 13 has some whacky changes to its normal state & zoom. It has given our developer something unexpected to fix. We are aware of the issue.

While we wait for it to be fixed please try using your iPad in landscape (sideways) this should simulate a desktop view (I hope that's not broken by ios 13 as well)

Thank you.
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
IOS 13 has some whacky changes to its normal state & zoom. It has given our developer something unexpected to fix. We are aware of the issue.

While we wait for it to be fixed please try using your iPad in landscape (sideways) this should simulate a desktop view (I hope that's not broken by ios 13 as well)

Thank you.
I always view in landscape, it has the same issue ...
Luckily the chrome browser functions properly on IO13.
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Maniac

Steve,

Interesting to see how the promised changes have been implemented.

I am puzzled, however, as to where non-music location recording now goes: I note, for example, that two of the most recent threads on such themes ('Affordable omnis for ambience' and 'Starter pro ambience/Foley advice') have been placed in the 'Acoustic Music' sub-forum. Conversely the 'Good field recording mic for iPhone' has been placed in the 'All Things Technical' sub-forum. Perhaps the latter is the intended home for such threads, but the initial sorting of threads at least has made the situation confusing. Moreover, the sub-forum titles (dividing Remote recording into two types of music, followed by two essentially more technical sub-forums) reinforce the idea that the overall Remote forum relates to music recording only.

In short, it is not entirely clear that any sub-forum is now a home for non-music location recording. I know such recording is a minority interest here, but, in the absence of many useful forums elsewhere (with the most notable exception of film/TV sound), the Remote forum has been a useful home for some such discussion, and, also, this has provided useful cross-over to those engaged in music location recording (e.g. recording music outside). I feel it would be sad to lose non-music location recording from the Remote forum.

Please could you clarify and if non-music location recording is indeed welcome is there anything you can do to make this more apparent?

Cheers,

Roland
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Head
Two cents
That was never a good idea. In my practice, it came to the point that dissenting valuable users deleted their posts and threads ... not to mention the decrease in the information content of the forums.
The "show all" button or choice between the old and new version may partially correct the situation.
Sorry my bad english.
Old 2nd October 2019
Forum management is not getting easier and we don't pay for it directly.
Behringer migrated their X32 forum to a managed format where the user is presented with ten posts based on latest postings.
Going back to page one for stuff from 2010 is gone.
Browsing through 2015 where you vaguely remember some issue that might be relevant today is impossible.
And to make it worse, the algos determine your interests derived from your historical browsing, so suggesting new topics you might like. And this is the wiki forum used in place of a users manual.
Splitting the enormous Remotesters forum into 4 sub-Fora is a very small price to pay for progress. It's all still here and accessible, somewhere. Thanks to Steve,
WalterT

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search