The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Forum Format Feedback
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

not digging the subforum idea so far. i like being able to read a mix of posts all relating to remote recording in one place at one time. if you could go back to one main forum why not try tagging or have post flair that denotes topics like *****', 'WORKFLOW', etc??? i mean, you can already select a TOPIC with an extensive list of options when making a new post. that should be sufficient.
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Nut

Like it or not, everyone who remains here will learn to live with the new format. Unless, of course, somebody were to start a new forum and the majority were to move there.

I've hosted a forum (about a different subject) for over 20 years and make changes only if enough members request them, if they would result in improvement, and if they are feasible. Should I think of something myself, I would implement it only after carefully analyzing feedback.

As this forum's software seems to operate, we must go to each sub-forum individually to see what's new and that's a little clumsy. On mine, the homepage has a list of categories (sub-fora) and each shows when a new topic has appeared, what it's about, who started it, and when somebody has added a post. It's a more organized version of this forum's original format. Were we to have that here, maybe it would keep Steve happy and, at the same time, calm everyone down.

Last edited by Uncle Russ; 16th October 2019 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: Change a word for clarity.
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks Steve for the "forum jump" buttons on all the pages. That will make it easier for me, for one.

D.
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Steve,

in any case, we have to thank you for running this forum all these years. My personal opinion has been that I do not get the idea of nor particularly like the subfora, but, why not give it a go. Future will tell, and probably you are right.

However, I do have the feeling that a big part of your frustration comes from the miscomprehension of/for a lot of users.

You mention above, you are running a "free forum" for all of us. I need to object to this. This (Gearslutz) is in NO way a free forum. We are bombarded with ads, I am even annoyed by gearslutz popups for things I am already receiving (but that is a minor hickup).

It has come to the point I cannot enjoy any of the fora on my Ipad. In vertical mode, the poster info takes up almost half of the screen, in horizontal mode 20% of the right hand side of the posters' text gets covered by ADS !

In your view this may be a free forum, but from a user standpoint it certainly is not. It is very much a commercial forum.

It is exactly this difference of view or experience that probably triggers such harsh comments by its users.

Now, if it really were your free forum, this would only rarely happen. A good example is eoshd.com. Sometimes there is some hostility towards the moderator, and in some cases, the posters are just banned. This moderater can do that without any objection, as it really is HIS (ad-free) forum.

Getting all the ads in our view all of the time makes us believe we are here for somebody's profit. It makes us the customers, which gives us the feeling we are entitled to some customer satisfaction. It may even give many forum users the feeling, since they are the customers, that you have to oblige them in any way. IMO that could be a part of the problem.

In that light, most attacks on you are really not personal. IMO they are simply a result of how most of us perceive this forum. Another big part probably comes from that fact that most of us really like this place, for many things (the gear addiction, the incessant discussions about spaced versus coincident, the bickering, the personal insults, laughing at noobs, hopefully helping them at the same time) ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
You mention above, you are running a "free forum" for all of us. I need to object to this. This (Gearslutz) is in NO way a free forum. We are bombarded with ads, I am even annoyed by gearslutz popups for things I am already receiving (but that is a minor hickup)......

In that light, most attacks on you are really not personal. IMO they are simply a result of how most of us perceive this forum. Another big part probably comes from that fact that most of us really like this place, for many things (the gear addiction, the incessant discussions about spaced versus coincident, the bickering, the personal insults, laughing at noobs, hopefully helping them at the same time) ...
Regarding the ads, I believe that's a 'whole of GS' imposition that Jules flagged some time ago, a sort of Faustian pact with financial benefit for the parent forum to offset running costs, which might otherwise be imposed as a levy on forum users ? I'm enjoying this on an iPad now and don't find the ads intrusive (in horizontal mode)....maybe it's a settings thing ?

Any forum with a resident core of long-term posters is going to evolve a culture for itself, invisibly and subtly shaped with the occasional intervention of the Moderator.....like this one. That it so rarely sees or needs substantial intervention is a testament to the largely well-behaved, considerate and collegiate nature of the inhabitants, as Yannick has so aptly described above.

There's a great attachment to and pride for this forum.....and perhaps the intense response to a perceived threat to this status quo was misread by Steve as personal attack, which is probably akin to a bear complaining about being stung as it tears into a beehive in the forest...while the hive inhabitants are fighting for the survival of the colony. The bees have no personal dislike of the bear...they just want their home, queen and honey stash left alone !

That analogy might be flawed, but it has value in terms of seeing the response dynamics from a different perspective ? The bees individually go about their daily duties in a functional, efficient and largely invisible way....but when their home is attacked, they fight back with unannounced collective vigour and purpose....a bit like the tide of negative response to Steve's changes here.

Time to repair the hive and get back to foraging and posting.....and maybe Steve's changes will result in an increase in the size of the colony, to everyone's communal benefit !

Last edited by studer58; 4 weeks ago at 01:09 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
IMHO, when people state your name and calls you all sorts of derogatory words and descriptions, while manipulating the actual facts, it is indeed taken as an attack.

All I want to do is make this forum an all-inclusive and welcoming environment!
Why is this such a terrible thing? And, why is it so bad to change the name and description of the forum. Why is it the "end of the world" to some when I added a sub-forum so people that are looking for gear and personnel can have a place to look for or post job and equipment opportunities? Same goes for the mobile and location rig folks, now there's an area to post about their rigs.

Furthermore, everyone is welcomed to my home! Be nice, care for one another and let's get back to having fun arguing about equipment and techniques.
Making this forum more "all-inclusive" has nothing to do with the changes you have made. It was always a welcoming environment. What has changed is that it is now harder to navigate and instead of everything being in one place I have to look in three different sub forums. I personally find that more trouble than it is worth.

You are also not listening to the majority of users of this forum who also seem to like the "old way". You are the moderator and if this is what you seem to want to do I guess it is going to be that way come he!! or high water. You stated that I am like a "broken record" but I get the sense that you are not listening to the majority so you have in essence become the one and only voice not unlike our the current state of affairs in the US. FWIW
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
....There is something else going on and even though you chose not to address it one can tell from your posts that there is an ulterior motive to your changes. So be it...
paranoid and conspiracy-theory-esque IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
You are the moderators but start listening to your forum members.
The forum isn't run as a committee and your caustic tone on how to run things here isn't welcomed. Give it up.

We have a policy on flogging a dead horse and you could find yourself bumped out of here if you keep ragging on and on about this. You have already made your point.
Old 4 weeks ago
Strangely enough, this has been one of the most popular and entertaining threads seen here in some time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Even if the functionality and 'vibe' is diminished for some of us, life goes on. "You can't always get what you want..." in the words of MJ. This is still the best audio forum on the web IMHO.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Even if the functionality and 'vibe' is diminished for some of us, life goes on. "You can't always get what you want..." in the words of MJ. This is still the best audio forum on the web IMHO.
RS. Rolling Stones right?

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post

D.
Sir Michael Philip Jagger
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

D.
Yup. Sir Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones. I used to quote it to my three year-old daughter so often (when she was being difficult) that after a while all I had to say to her was "You know what Mick says?"
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Oh, haha!! Mick Jagger, not Michael Jackson.

I'm tired and beat up. 16-hour session yesterday. Ugh.

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

D.
Jackson got all he wanted and more....look what it did to him !
Old 4 weeks ago
Jimmy Miller the producer of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" couldn't get what he wanted from the bands drummer, Charlie Watts, so Charlie, finding himself unable to nail the drum pattern / groove suggested to him, said to him "why don't you play it then?". So he did! Drums are by the late and great Jimmy Miller RIP LAMF

Who can ever forget those majestic tom fills!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
... Charlie, finding himself unable to nail the drum pattern / groove suggested to him, said to him "why don't you play it then?"
I recorded a long interview with Charlie once, so got to observe him if not actually get to know him personally. He might be one of the few people on Earth who could say, "why don't you play it, then?" and have it be completely free of resentment and sarcasm. An incredibly nice guy, and the humility isn't just an act.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

"... So if you try sometime... you just might find... You Get What You Need!..."

Sage advice for this thread... rock on, children!

... and Jim... I couldn't agree more!

HB
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

D.
I had the same reaction as you did. Never heard Mick Jagger referred to as anything but Mick Jagger until just a few posts ago.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
I had the same reaction as you did. Never heard Mick Jagger referred to as anything but Mick Jagger until just a few posts ago.
Other than as one of the Glimmer Twins, I assume...!

R
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Several weeks of soaking in the new environs and I must say that, while not a travesty, the experience simply feels less fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrich View Post
(My small hint to tags like in the "new product alert" forum here on GS wasn't heard at all - is it such a bad idea? Or technically impossible?)
While it appears the ship has already sailed, I, at least, like your idea. It allows the “unnamed disenfranchised” to filter their way to topics they might feel safe in while allowing long-time members (who likely contribute the bulk of this form’s content) to carry on in the forum’s original rich & diversified (and seemingly preferred) style.

Could be a win-win... could be.

Last edited by PuebloAudio; 3 weeks ago at 11:05 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search