The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My Directorial Debut...
Old 27th September 2019
Super Moderator

My Directorial Debut...

A lot of time and effort was put into making this live performance music video! I trust all my friends and associates will find the time to check out this special clip of ours! It's part of a series of music videos I produced and directed for, 'The Band Called Fuse.'

This is the first public release from The Band Called FUSE's concert movie, 'Rise Together Live!' Many of there fans were at the sold out shows and became part of the video capture.

And now, a little bit about the backstory...

'The Band Called Fuse' and I completed work on their first live performance concert film and media package. My team and I captured two nights of live performances for them at the original, 'Littlefield' in Gowanus, Brooklyn. My company handled the sound, lighting, audio/video capture and post production for the project. I mixed fifteen tunes (twelve song album and three singles) of which ten were cut to picture. These ten music videos are also part of our long-awaited live music documentary and concert movie. 'Love and War in the City' is the first of these music videos that will be released by the band as they promote their new page on the Patreon crowdfunding membership platform.

Besides my normal record, mix and production*duties, I also produced and directed the project. The project was mostly funded by a successful Kickstarter campaign which exceeded our goal by 20%. Their loyal 'Soul Rocka Tribe' fan base are truly amazing.

What once was only available to their Kickstarter sponsors and a select few is now available for everyone to enjoy.

I plan to post each and every new music video clip as it becomes available.

Old 27th September 2019
Lives for gear
Great debut Steve ! The editing is tight and the small club vibe really pulls the viewer into the event....technically great, with sharp images and natural colours.

Looking forward to more of this...oh yeah, and the audio doesn't stink either It's not over-produced ...the viewer feels connected to the energy and passion and committment showing on stage, without the 'visual effects' taking over and becoming a distraction. Bravo Steve !
Old 27th September 2019
Super Moderator

Thank you so much! I've been a ghost director, a co-director and an associate director, but this is truly my first shot at the director's chair.

Each video (that shall soon be presented) was cut differently. I had different motivations for each video. Three of the ten videos were cut, a la "concert style," yet the other seven clips have special effects and rotoscoping that is not duplicated. Each music clip is unique, yet fits perfectly withing the concert movie documentary that I created for the band. No special effect was repeated in any of the ten music videos I directed for TBCF.

FYI, there are no overdubs or heavy repair work done to the audio tracks. My "Virtual Gobo" technique along with my "Micro Gobos" and StackIt Gobos (only between the amps) came in handy in getting the seven to twelve member band/singers/MCs on a super small stage to sound as if they were in isolation booths. I cannot wait for you to see/hear the band when we had an additional three piece horn section and to additional background singer on stage!

Each and every video has a different vibe and dynamic. I cut some of them to the lyrics, some to the visuals, it all depended on what my motivation was for each tune.

I have behind the scene images of the setup that I don't mind sharing if it's applicable to you folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Great debut Steve ! The editing is tight and the small club vibe really pulls the viewer into the event....technically great, with sharp images and natural colours.

Looking forward to more of this...oh yeah, and the audio doesn't stink either It's not over-produced ...the viewer feels connected to the energy and passion and committment showing on stage, without the 'visual effects' taking over and becoming a distraction. Bravo Steve !
Old 27th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
I have behind the scene images of the setup that I don't mind sharing if it's applicable to you folks.
That would be great...it's one thing to read a visual description of these tailor-made gobos, but it would be really cool to see them in use too !
Old 28th September 2019
I really enjoyed the music and video; captivating...vibe of the gig; the content and style in good proportion. Thanks for posting; I'm interested in the gobo-technique too
Old 28th September 2019
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
I really enjoyed the music and video; captivating...vibe of the gig; the content and style in good proportion. Thanks for posting; I'm interested in the gobo-technique too
Wait until you see the other music videos I did for this band. Each video has a different vibe and look even though it was captured on the same stage over two day period. First night's two sets were more of a rock vibe with a guest electric guitarist. Second night's two sets were more of a Soul/R&B vibe with a three piece horn section.
Old 29th September 2019
Super Moderator

The next few posts will show a few images from the two day live performance capture I did with The Band Called Fuse...

In this post, you will find the first day's sound check and camera blocking with The Band Called Fuse and guest guitarist, plus some performance shots and shots of the guitar rigs with my StackIt Gobos which surrounded them at Littlefield, Brooklyn, NY...
Attached Thumbnails
My Directorial Debut...-sound-check-camera-blocking-band-called-fuse.-littlefield-brooklyn-ny.jpg   My Directorial Debut...-band-called-fuse.jpg   My Directorial Debut...-guest-lead-guitarist-tony-dimarco-xman-fuse-during-fridays-sound-check.jpg   My Directorial Debut...-xman-rocka-.jpg   My Directorial Debut...-toaster-toasting-toast-.jpg  

My Directorial Debut...-mesa-boogie-vox-ac30-guitar-amps.jpg   My Directorial Debut...-taytrix-stackit-gobos-stage-band-called-fuse.jpg   My Directorial Debut...-closeup-my-cctv-monitor-during-tbcfuse-set.jpg  
Old 29th September 2019
Super Moderator

Here's day two, with the three piece horn section that was added for the second night's performance. I placed my "Micro Gobos" behind the R121s that I used on the two trumpets. A KMS105 is on sax.

I also have a couple of shots of the drum kit with my M160s overhead and a TLM103 at the "Drummer's Right Knee" position and a couple of shots of the frontline MC/Singers.
Attached Thumbnails
My Directorial Debut...-lovin-how-horn-section-sounding-band-.jpg   My Directorial Debut...-slammin-horn-section-.jpg   My Directorial Debut...-solid-rock-.jpg   My Directorial Debut...-band-called-fuse-.jpg   My Directorial Debut...-drums-love.jpg  

My Directorial Debut...-machine-known-mr.-pokkett-.jpg   My Directorial Debut...-now-youre-talkin-.jpg  
Old 29th September 2019
Super Moderator

In this post I show the control room area where my audio record rig and DIT setups wer positioned.

You will also see the mic splitter and wireless comm receiver.

Video world (no pictures) was setup by FOH audio.
Attached Thumbnails
My Directorial Debut...-band-called-fuse-green-room-crm-setup.-littlefield-brooklyn-ny.jpg   My Directorial Debut...-some-dual-x48-action-.jpg   My Directorial Debut...-band-called-fuse-littlefield-brooklyn-ny.jpg   My Directorial Debut...-splitorious-connections-littlefield-brooklyn-ny-.jpg   My Directorial Debut...-our-location-control-room-tbcf-rtl-.jpg  

Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear
Wink

Quote:
...... plus some performance shots and shots of the guitar rigs with my StackIt Gobos which surrounded them at Littlefield, Brooklyn, NY...
Very neat looking and discreet...probably nearly invisible to anyone in the audience.

Similar in principle to the one used by Tedeschi Trucks Band, between the 2 guitar amp 'territories'...except that theirs is much larger and more "farm gate" in appearance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um9TmblAcnw
Old 29th September 2019
Super Moderator

Yes, I've worked with TTB and have seen their gobos. A fair amount of bands have used similar isolation techniques.

The StackIt Gobos are super lightweight and stackable. I find them excellent for my location recording projects.

Quote:
Very neat looking and discreet...probably nearly invisible to anyone in the audience.

Similar in principle to the one used by Tedeschi Trucks Band, between the 2 guitar amp 'territories'...except that theirs is much larger and more "farm gate" in appearance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um9TmblAcnw
Old 6th October 2019
Here for the gear

This turned out very well indeed! Congrats! You got a lot of production value into that! It takes a lot of planning, work and then more work to get something polished that nicely. Well done!
Old 6th October 2019
Super Moderator

Thank you for saying this. Many folks say I have great "ears" for capturing and mixing music. I feel, my "eyes" are much better than my "ears."

Yes, I do know how to stretch a dollar, that is for sure. We got a tone of product out for the same money the band wanted to use for just a simple concert movie and audio album.

From the day I meet with the band until the origination at Littlefield, was exactly one year. The band rehearsed and got their things in order for about nine months, then I started to go to some of the key rehearsals at the end of July and spent the rest of the weeks getting everything in order for out October 2015 shoot.

I cannot say, everything went perfect; it was far from that, with more than our share of issues, mishaps and snafus.Yet, it was about the workarounds, and how to come up with solutions to the various difficulties and setbacks. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for some of these complications, this project would not have turned into what it has become. The audio department was spot on. It being my "day job," and having a fabulous crew that knows what I'm looking for made that a seamless operation. Lighting and Sound were top notch too. There were quite a few concerns in video world, yet they were addressed and the 10 music videos and concert movie documentary worked out smashingly well if I do say so myself.

I look forward to dropping the link to the next music clip in this thread.

Thanks again for your kind words about this production venture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niversen View Post
This turned out very well indeed! Congrats! You got a lot of production value into that! It takes a lot of planning, work and then more work to get something polished that nicely. Well done!
Old 7th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
From the day I meet with the band until the origination at Littlefield, was exactly one year. The band rehearsed and got their things in order for about nine months, then I started to go to some of the key rehearsals at the end of July and spent the rest of the weeks getting everything in order for out October 2015 shoot.
This is the part that like an iceberg - is just out of sight by most. 9 months of rehearsal, technical crews with dozens of years of experience. All that work and prep is what made a the event able to be free and feel spontaneous. In once sense it was thoroughly premeditated. But in reality all that practice and prep is what frees one to make good decisions, and follow the muse in the moment.

Thanks for sharing this part of the story. It is important. Music is a real-time art. We can listen to an hour concert in an hour. And yet there may be several 20 year lifetimes of experience behind that concert - on stage, behind stage, at FOH, in the OB Van, the lighting console, it just goes on and on. In that way, music is such a glorious extravagance.

I'm between 12-15 months out from a trying to deliver something very much like that with my band. We are writing right now. Still a ways from production. But very inspiring.
Old 7th October 2019
Super Moderator

Yep, you hit the "iceberg" on that description! The crazy thing is, before I met TBCFuse in October 2014, I was working with this NYC alternative rock trio for nearly a year. Their sound has been described as a musical hybrid of '70s punk and '90s alternative rock. They were completely unique when I met them, so I offered help them get their act together. I invested a fair amount of money and time, providing rehearsal, recording and showcases with major people in the industry for them on my dime. I even got them a deal with Tech21/SansAmp! I had big ideas for these guys. I wanted to them to go underground, get off the Net, stop posting bullsh*t stuff and just practice and hone in on their craft. Once they were tight and had their sh*t together, I wanted to do a major marketing blast. All they thought about was wanting everything to happen now, and to go on tour, now. I told them, they had nothing to sell to go on tour, and were not ready for a tour, because the tour I wanted them on was a real tour opening for a major act. All they had to do was put the time into the development of their sound and image. Much of the stuff I'm doing for TBCFuse was the stuff I had planned for them.

Well, that was not going to happen, they said wanted to "tour" ASAP and I was taking too long, because they needed to go on tour before they we going to turn 30 years old. Yep, true story! So, about a month before I met TBCFuse, they fired me, saying the wanted to take a break for a few weeks, so the can figure things out. Next thing I knew, they unfriended me on Facewaste and announced that the cut a deal with this "knucklehead" scam producer and said, that they will be touring shortly.

Eventually, they put out a couple of music videos and a CD that were the worst thing I have ever seen or hear. I mean, they were so bad, that it was hilarious to watch. The CD was terrible, the "produsa" changed the lyrics, changed their sound and they sounded just like any other knock-off ALT/Pop band. Ridicules would be a compliment. No joke!

Then, like I said, a month later I met TBCF and they were (are) an outstanding group of individuals. A total democracy, the six core band members have a say in whatever they do. It does take a bit longer to get things done, but it's a stone-groove working with them. We have been friends ever since and I have been to every Thanksgiving event they have at their compound since 2014. It takes place the Friday after Thanksgiving and they call it "Skanksgiving."

They understand what it takes to do something right. You only have one shot at making a first impression, and they understand that mindset.

I cannot wait for you to see the next music video clip. Stand by!

All the best to your months long production venture. Make sure you post something for us to review. Love to see what you folks are put together.

Quote:
This is the part that like an iceberg - is just out of sight by most. 9 months of rehearsal, technical crews with dozens of years of experience. All that work and prep is what made a the event able to be free and feel spontaneous. In once sense it was thoroughly premeditated. But in reality all that practice and prep is what frees one to make good decisions, and follow the muse in the moment.

Thanks for sharing this part of the story. It is important. Music is a real-time art. We can listen to an hour concert in an hour. And yet there may be several 20 year lifetimes of experience behind that concert - on stage, behind stage, at FOH, in the OB Van, the lighting console, it just goes on and on. In that way, music is such a glorious extravagance.

I'm between 12-15 months out from a trying to deliver something very much like that with my band. We are writing right now. Still a ways from production. But very inspiring.
Old 7th October 2019
Gear Maniac

wow
Old 8th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

They understand what it takes to do something right. You only have one shot at making a first impression, and they understand that mindset.
It's interesting, isn't it? The first band got exactly what they wanted. They wanted to make it. Somehow they were working hard enough that they got the attention of someone who could absolutely help them. But, they didn't get that help, they got who they really were. They were impatient and tactical. They got those results.

This band, however, are trying to do it right. Who shows up in their life? Same person. Same ability and willingness to help (thankfully not jaded or ready to write off all musicians as flaky musicians). What do they get - a beautiful show reel, a collaboration that is fully professionally staffed and resourced. One step closer, and good feelings all the way around. Says something about who they are.

It is an important moment when we realize that much of what we "get" in life is not what we want. It is who we are....

I'm glad that you all found each other, though the way the Universe works, it isn't surprising anymore (but it does make me happy). Things do often happen when the time is right, and if everyone realizes the moment for what it is, special things occur.
Old 8th October 2019
Super Moderator

It's quite interesting how people figure things out. That original trio eventually failed. They had an almost zero following except for their close friends and family members. The band is now in an indefinite hiatus and actually never accomplished a tenth of what I had in store for them! It's quite sad, really.

The second band (TBCF) just contacted me from a referral and we setup a meeting. I was still on the fence on whether or not I was going to work with them. But, when I asked them in October 2014 when they wanted to do this project (figuring they would say, November or December,) they replied, "next year." I said, "NEXT YEAR? Why do you want to do it next year?" They responded, "so we can be ready for you, Steve." At that point I was sold. I had to be part of this project, especially after being fired by a band that wanted things done yesterday even though they made no real effort in making it happen.

TBCFuse isn't "trying" per say, they are "doing!" There are plenty of flakes out there, and at the same time there are many fabulous musicians that have it figured out despite what their counterparts believe.

Quote:
It's interesting, isn't it? The first band got exactly what they wanted. They wanted to make it. Somehow they were working hard enough that they got the attention of someone who could absolutely help them. But, they didn't get that help, they got who they really were. They were impatient and tactical. They got those results.

This band, however, are trying to do it right. Who shows up in their life? Same person. Same ability and willingness to help (thankfully not jaded or ready to write off all musicians as flaky musicians). What do they get - a beautiful show reel, a collaboration that is fully professionally staffed and resourced. One step closer, and good feelings all the way around. Says something about who they are.

It is an important moment when we realize that much of what we "get" in life is not what we want. It is who we are....

I'm glad that you all found each other, though the way the Universe works, it isn't surprising anymore (but it does make me happy). Things do often happen when the time is right, and if everyone realizes the moment for what it is, special things occur.
Old 4 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Okay, boys and girls here's the second in the series of music videos...

The premiere of 'The Band Called FUSE's' cover of Wu-Tang Clan's, 'Ain't Nuthing Ta F' Wit,' is the next music video from our concert movie' 'Rise Together Live!' It shall air on Thursday 10.10.19 at 8PM Eastern Time.

This is quite special to me because it's actually the first music video I did out of the ten that are in the concert movie! It ain't your ordinary music video, that's for sure!

Featuring special guests include...

Lee Hogans, trumpet
Anja Christin-Nielsen, trumpet
Andrew Gutauskas, saxophone
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Did you get a chance to check out the second music clip in the series of ten?

Love to hear what you think, especially since it's the first one I worked on!

Quote:

Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Did you get a chance to check out the second music clip in the series of ten?

Love to hear what you think, especially since it's the first one I worked on!
It is well done! They have a lot of people on stage, and you did a nice job in using the cuts to capture the energy and "all the everything" that was going on. I'm sure the band appreciated that everyone was "featured" during a place they had a prominent part.

I do think that coming in tight on the intense lead vocals was a good choice too. The words are aggressive, and so coming in tight adds focus and power to the image. The same words panned wide wouldn't hit as hard. It keeps the attention where it belongs on the verses, and on the vocal ensemble with the refrains.

You already know, of course, but I would think the band is thrilled if they have an hour plus of this quality of recording. They should be able to use it to get a whole string of shows and play up the next time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Listening to the second video I definitely hear good separation between the instruments. Excellent professional work. Same standard as the best live TV music shows here in the UK e.g Jools Holland show.
I like the video too; close and intimate. Nice colour and lighting. Good fresh vibe.
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
It is well done! They have a lot of people on stage, and you did a nice job in using the cuts to capture the energy and "all the everything" that was going on. I'm sure the band appreciated that everyone was "featured" during a place they had a prominent part.

I do think that coming in tight on the intense lead vocals was a good choice too. The words are aggressive, and so coming in tight adds focus and power to the image. The same words panned wide wouldn't hit as hard. It keeps the attention where it belongs on the verses, and on the vocal ensemble with the refrains.

You already know, of course, but I would think the band is thrilled if they have an hour plus of this quality of recording. They should be able to use it to get a whole string of shows and play up the next time.
Yeah, depending on the song, we had nine to twelve people on that small stage. Being the first song I directed, I wanted to create a vibe that would be the setup for the other videos.

It was important to create that style of cuts, including the moving images. The first minute or so of the tune sets it all up. The band did indeed appreciated what I was able to produce from the fifteen cameras we had setup.

Those tight shots intensified the aggressive lyrics for sure. I'm happy to know someone else got what I was going for in the edit.

The band was blown away with what I was able to produce with the same money and budget. We got a lot of product out of the Kickstarter budget we had to work with. Think about it, we captured four hours of music via four sets of which I mixed fifteen tunes that produced a 12 song CD and three audio singles. I also cut to picture ten of the fifteen tunes. Those ten tunes are included in a 66 minute concert movie documentary. Crazy, right?

The remaining eight music clips are (IMHO) also super happening!
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Listening to the second video I definitely hear good separation between the instruments. Excellent professional work. Same standard as the best live TV music shows here in the UK e.g Jools Holland show.
I like the video too; close and intimate. Nice colour and lighting. Good fresh vibe.
All fifteen tunes I mixed have a lot of separation. You can solo the drums and other instruments, and it sounds like they are in isolation booths.

My crew and I worked our magic to get it exactly how I wanted it to be, especially since we had up to twelve people on stage at times.

Thank you for your very kind words about the production. We are only as good as the individuals we surround ourselves with.

Wait until you see/hear the remaining music videos! Each have their own video and feel to them.
Old 6 days ago
Super Moderator

Are you ready for the third music video in the series!?

Well, it premiere's this Friday (November 8th, 2019) at 8pm EST.

I love the huge low-end we got on this tune!

I even got a cameo in this clip.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

i recall seeing this tune and a couple of other tunes when you were in elroy working on the video edits. i remember the mixes being only ruff cuts and they sounded great

Quote:
Are you ready for the third music video in the series!?

Well, it premiere's this Friday (November 8th, 2019) at 8pm EST.

I love the huge low-end we got on this tune!

I even got a cameo in this clip.
Old 3 days ago
Super Moderator

Yep, you sure did, Georgie!

Then we finished the editing at the HQ.

All the mixing was done on board Elroy. We pretty much had the sound down on the first pass.

See you on your next trip to NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
i recall seeing this tune and a couple of other tunes when you were in elroy working on the video edits. i remember the mixes being only ruff cuts and they sounded great
Old 1 day ago
Super Moderator

So, who wants to critic this third music video. I know what I like and don't like about the clip. How about your folks?
Old 2 hours ago
Super Moderator

So, who wants to critic this third music video? I know what I like and don't like about the clip. How about your folks?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 1 hour ago
Quote:
So, who wants to critic this third music video? I know what I like and don't like about the clip. How about your folks?
I like the balance between the female vocal and brass/horns in the bridge; also the mix separation between the horns. The rest is first-rate too - like everything has its place.
The live performance definitely adds something extra that is missing from a lot of over-produced music; I think this 'live' style will be increasingly popular.

All good. Entertaining. The song fade out on the solo vocal keeps it all real and personal.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search