The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My Directorial Debut...
Old 19th November 2019
Super Moderator

Yes, I that's how I approach my mixes. Everything has to have its place. Each instrument or sound is in its own pocket or married to another sound like the balance between the KDez's vocal and horns section in the bridge.

I love recording and mixing live performances. It's how I like to do it in the studio too. I'm not an overdub "guy." I mean, that's what your assistant supposed to do.

Not sure if you noticed, but each video has a different visual style (look) and cut to them. I never repeated a visual effect and I did my best to find the right motivation or motivating force when I conceived and created these music videos. One of my favorite videos out of this series is the simplest cut, yet very moving, if I do say so myself.

Yeah, that natural fade out in the end is raw and real for sure.

Thanks for chiming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
I like the balance between the female vocal and brass/horns in the bridge; also the mix separation between the horns. The rest is first-rate too - like everything has its place.
The live performance definitely adds something extra that is missing from a lot of over-produced music; I think this 'live' style will be increasingly popular.

All good. Entertaining. The song fade out on the solo vocal keeps it all real and personal.
Old 28th November 2019
Super Moderator

Sending out some Thanksgiving love to all "My Peoples!"

This video premiered a few hours ago on November 27th, 2019 at 8:00 pm EST!

I trust you will enjoy the joy that is, The Band Called Fuse...

A lot of cool visual effects were used on this music video.

Let me know whatcha think?
Old 28th November 2019
Nice work Steve; the drums and bass are awesome. Very enjoyable listening.
The video has a nice textural quality too; hard to put a finger on...maybe the lens and lighting. The fx work well too...remind me of 70's music shows on TV.
Old 29th November 2019
Super Moderator

Thank you so much, Arthur!

Like I mentioned before, I wanted each video to have its own look, yet still work within the 66 minute concert movie documentary I also produced and directed for the band. The idea was when the music videos got released as singles, I wanted them to have a different look, vibe and feel to them. Only three of the ten music videos look exactly the same. Those three clips were shown back to back within the film as a live performance cut segment. No special effects or crazy visuals, just musically sync line cuts. That have a great feel to them.

As for the textural quality and visual effects, I definitely went for a late '60s, early '70s British music video look you would see on TV back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Nice work Steve; the drums and bass are awesome. Very enjoyable listening.
The video has a nice textural quality too; hard to put a finger on...maybe the lens and lighting. The fx work well too...remind me of 70's music shows on TV.
Old 11th December 2019
Here for the gear

I remember seeing the special effects from these first videos on board Elroy and being amazed at how it looked with all the different people and scenes fading in and out of each other, and as mentioned in earlier posts the sonic separation was astounding. Early in the mixing stage Steve played me one of our tracks which had acoustic guitar on it (I think it was "When You're Ready") and soloed the guitar and it sounded like the guitarist was alone on stage. And that stage was pretty packed!
Old 11th December 2019
Super Moderator

Wow, what an honor to have, Toast on this thread! For those that may not know, Toast is the bassist for 'The Band Called Fuse!"

Thanks for chiming in brother, Toast! Officially, your first post on Gearslutz and of course, this forum!

working on the post production for this project was quite special. On the audio side, if I remember correctly, we mixed 15 tunes in about 41 hours for the first pass. And, those mixes stayed as the "rough" mixes until we finished all the video post for the songs. Then you folks put together your notes and we did our second pass and spend another 9 or 10 hours mixing the audio for the music videos and additional tunes for the CD and singles. It was quite amazing mixing 48 tracks of jammed packed audio tracks for 15 songs on 50 or so hours. Just over about three hours a tune if you average it.

Where we spent the bulk of the time in post was in the video edit. We edited in sets of three songs, and took about a week per set. I believe we spent about 80 to 100 hours at the edit bay per three tunes. And, it was all well worth the effort.

At one point we had 12 individuals on that tiny stage, yet we maintained a lot of separation and "good" leakage! Every track sounded like they were performed in an isolation booth. Even the drums and voices. I've heard more leakage on studio tracks than what we were able to achieve.

Toast, I know you're a super busy guy, but I hope you will have a chance to answer any questions, our thread posters may ask you about.

Oh, and nice seeing you folks last month. It's always a pleasure to hang at the compound with 'The Band Called Fuse' and their awesome friends and family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastTBCFuse View Post
I remember seeing the special effects from these first videos on board Elroy and being amazed at how it looked with all the different people and scenes fading in and out of each other, and as mentioned in earlier posts the sonic separation was astounding. Early in the mixing stage Steve played me one of our tracks which had acoustic guitar on it (I think it was "When You're Ready") and soloed the guitar and it sounded like the guitarist was alone on stage. And that stage was pretty packed!
Old 23rd December 2019
Super Moderator

The video premiere of Silent Knight's "Stayin' Busy" live version from the 'Rise Together Live!' concert movie drops tonight at 8:00 PM EST!

Tune in and enjoy the joy of what is, The Band Called Fuse's fifth live performance music video!

Old 24th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Stayin' Busy is yet another fabulous release by The Band Called Fuse. What is striking about the mix on these videos is (and Toast, you hit it dead on) the sonic space that every part of the mix has. It is so signature Steve Remote. Hats off to another good one
By the way "My Life" just slays me.
Old 24th December 2019
Super Moderator

Thanks, Dave! Much appreciated.

I forgot how cool, 'Stayin' Busy' is. I love the intro of 'My Life,' the low-end is huge and wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbrunt View Post
Stayin' Busy is yet another fabulous release by The Band Called Fuse. What is striking about the mix on these videos is (and Toast, you hit it dead on) the sonic space that every part of the mix has. It is so signature Steve Remote. Hats off to another good one
By the way "My Life" just slays me.
Old 24th December 2019
Here for the gear

Hey all, SK here just checking in for now. Been reading posts but never commented until now. Just wanted to say I'm thankful to work with such a top-notch team.
Old 25th December 2019
Super Moderator

Hey Silent!

Steve tuning in...

Perfect timing comin' in when the live version of 'Stayin' Busy' just got released to the public!

I trust you will say a few things about what it was like to have this type of location production for a live music performance.

I know you folks worked real hard getting everything ready, rehearsing for a year, and making sure "everything" was everything!

I must say, that's what attracted me to working on this project. You know what it takes to make a quality product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Knight View Post
Hey all, SK here just checking in for now. Been reading posts but never commented until now. Just wanted to say I'm thankful to work with such a top-notch team.
Old 25th December 2019
Super Moderator

Here's an excerpt from the concert movie, 'Rise Together Live!'

Behind the scene interviews with the band's Soul Rocka fans...

Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Hey @ PeerSoe !

I thought you may appreciate the audio recording that was done from this relatively small club.

Let me know if you have any questions or observations you care to discuss.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi everyone! Toast from The Band Called Fuse joining in again to announce that
the video premiere of "Can I" from the 'Rise Together Live!' concert movie drops tomorrow night (Friday Jan. 24th) at 8:00 PM EST!

Tune in to see more of Steve's amazing work (imho)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wAmIk4qHOY
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

You beat me to it, Toast! Thanks for that.

Man, I trust some of the Remotesters on this forum will chime in as ask some questions that are relative to the music and band side of this audio/video/sound/lighting production venture. That could yield some interesting information that's from the musician's point of view. Hey, if you or anyone else from the band have some thoughts or observation you would like to share, please do.

FYI, this was the last of the ten music video we did before we started to work on the concert movie. This music clip happens to be the last music video in the film.

Thanks again, Toast! Love you, bro!

Quote:
Hi everyone! Toast from The Band Called Fuse joining in again to announce that
the video premiere of "Can I" from the 'Rise Together Live!' concert movie drops tomorrow night (Friday Jan. 24th) at 8:00 PM EST!

Tune in to see more of Steve's amazing work (imho)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wAmIk4qHOY
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Excited for everyone to see this one tonight!
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

There's a big reason why 'Can I' was edited this way. It was one of those solution based situations. It just had to be visualized this way!

It turned into the music video it is today for a reason. Can anyone guess what that reason was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Knight View Post
Excited for everyone to see this one tonight!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
It turned into the music video it is today for a reason. Can anyone guess what that reason was?
Camera loss, or maybe the audience crowding in closer to the front than previously ?
Old 4 days ago
Super Moderator

Please consider joining us for the premiere of The Band Called Fuse's live performance video of 'Texas North 5AM' this Thursday at 8pm EST...

This is our seventh video put of the ten that shall be shared with everyone.

This clip is edited more like your traditional live concert cut.
Old 4 days ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Camera loss, or maybe the audience crowding in closer to the front than previously ?
Actually its something completely different. I want to invest sometime for my response. I shall reply very soon. Just need to button up this project I'm finishing up.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

We really love how the Texas North 5AM track came out.
The Rise Together Live! shows were captured over two consecutive nights where we played about 20 songs each night (we like to play long sets!) so we had to narrow down the set of songs we would use for the concert movie. This particular track was not originally on our list because we had already released a video of the studio version of this track, but after Steve showed us what he had captured we followed his strong recommendation that we make this one of the videos and we are sure glad we did!

-Toast from The Band Called Fuse
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search