The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
orchestral reference recordings in 2019
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

orchestral reference recordings in 2019

Dear fellows,

what are great references today for large orchestra and large orchestra with choir recordings?

I feel there is a development in todays reception of orchestra recordings towards riding spot mics more and generally adding some more direct impact. Quite often I feel the dynamic range to be less. What is your take on it?

thank you for your thoughts. all the best

bojan
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Schumann symphonies by tilson Thomas and the San Francisco symphony (2017?) is pretty good. Seems a bit heavy on the spot mics to me, but I think that’s just how they do everything these days.
I don’t have anything new with orch/choir...
Old 4 weeks ago
I’m a fan of pretty much anything I hear from the engineers at Polyhymnia (Erdo Groot, Everett Porter, Jean-Marie Geijsen), Shawn Murphy’s work with the BSO, from Simon Eadon, Aline Blondiau, and Mr.’s Villalta and Donahue here do really world class orchestral work these days too. That’s what’s got my ear at the moment.

Allmusic.com should be helpful in tracking down the recent work these folks have all been up to.

Last edited by king2070lplaya; 4 weeks ago at 05:20 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
Sean’s Murphy’s work with the BSO, from Simon Eadon, Aline Blondiau, and Mr.’s Villalta and Donahue
If you are trying to search for him on All Music it is Shawn Murphy
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Tom Lazarus is another high-flyer in the classical recording stakes
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not recent, but my favorite choral recording is Lux AEterna by Morton Lauridsen performed by LA Master Chorale and Sinfonia. Engineer was Fred Vogler.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

thank you, great recommendations! please keep them coming so I can order more CDs.

Lux Aeterna I have a beautiful recording by the Boston Symphonics, but I am ordering your recommendation right now, jnorman.

bojan
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Dear JNorman,

just realized that you didn't mean the Ligeti. The recording with the LA Master Chorale seems only to be sold as a used collector's item from the US and not here in Germany. Will be getting it next time I am in NYC.

bojan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search