The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording a Singer-Songwriter in a Church
Old 15th September 2019
Just do a couple of hundred Hail Maries and you should be OK.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrommann View Post
Thanks Roland, I got that so far.
I still can imagine two different ways to set up the mics:
1. Parallel, Vertical, tilted downwards, so the null of the top comes into play
2. both mics mounted horizontally Head to head in one line with the distance of 30cm, rotated, so that the capsule points towards the guitar and the null against the mouth.

I just don't know, whether the null on the side is more effective than the top.
So you went for version 1? Which mics did you use and what mic came into play, when you changed your setup?
Thanks for clarification. Maybe it's not my geometry day today
Greetings
Ronald
Hi Ronald,

Yes, as I said, I tilted the pair of fig 8s downwards for the guitar, so as per your option 1. The nulls on a fig 8 are as 'effective' all around (mic patterns are 3d!). The fig 8s you use are pretty irrelevant in this regard (although, obviously, different mics sound different), so getting into which mics I used for this null example and now use seems pretty irrelevant in general and, indeed, to the thread Daniel started. If interested in the approach, try whatever you have/can acquire, be they ribbons, SDCs or LDCs.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Thanks Roland,
now it is clear. Except the mic choice

Cheers
Ronald
Old 15th October 2019
Here's another video I shot in the same space; similar visual aesthetic, but different audio technique:

I recorded the vocals with the Sennheiser MD441U, and used a Beyer M160 on the guitar. Michael had a Fishman pickup which captured a great sound, and I ended up blending the mic and pickup at 1:1 to create the guitar sound you're hearing in the final mix.

I've attached the guitar and vocal stems to this post, so feel free to take a listen below. The pickup was completely isolated so no need to include that; as you can hear, there's a bit of guitar and vocal making it into the opposing mics, but overall the separation is quite good (you can see their positioning in the video).

Roland; to my ears, the separation is about the same as I was hearing in your example with figure-8s, hence my surprise at hearing that (I haven't used figure-8s in this situation, so I was expecting more dramatic isolation given all I've heard about them). But I want to be absolutely clear that this isn't in any way a dig on your engineering or mic placement; as you stated, your artist was in an especially difficult position, and as I haven't used figure-8s to record singer-songwriters I can't speak to the results. If anything this might just be an endorsement of hypercardioids, as I'm really impressed with the isolation I've been getting with these mics!

I thought this video could be an interesting comparison, as it's the same engineer, same space, and similar style of music. As I was able to bring up the guitar as much as I wanted (within reason), it was much easier to balance it against the vocal.
Attached Files

Guitar.wav (9.76 MB, 87 views)

Vocal.wav (9.76 MB, 87 views)

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search