The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Larger than life piano
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Awful song...and so offensive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vrnDzOOlCI
No beauty would be made in the world without this "offense", so leave the admiration alone, just let it be.
Otherwise we die sad and disappointed.
Old 2 weeks ago
After all, if we as privileged white men can’t double down when we make others uncomfortable, what is left for us in this society?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradivariusz View Post
Awful song...and so offensive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vrnDzOOlCI
No beauty would be made in the world without this "offense", so leave the admiration alone, just let it be.
Otherwise we die sad and disappointed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I'm a part of 99% of hard working class, not the 1% priviledged.
Let's keep happy talk about music, recording and beauty included.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
Simpler is so often better.
So true. Sometimes I’ve put up lots of mics for piano only to find that the pair of Sonodore omnis were actually the sweetest, cleanest and most true sound, the rest of the setup was not needed.

Better to be safe than sorry though.

Haigbabe
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
HaigBabe, the world thinks your comment is officious nonsense.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigbabe View Post
So true. Sometimes I’ve put up lots of mics for piano only to find that the pair of Sonodore omnis were actually the sweetest, cleanest and most true sound, the rest of the setup was not needed.

Better to be safe than sorry though.

Haigbabe
Hi Haigbabe,

I have never really understood what thought lies behind statements such as "better to be safe than sorry" when it comes to mic setups. You either have a concept that you can make work or you change to one that works better. Putting up mics "just in case" mostly means you do not know what you are doing, IMHO.

There is no reason to believe that a single pair of omnis is better than, let's say, 4 omnis for a piano. It's just a different concept resulting in a different sound.

I might come across nitpicky, but to me this is an essential understanding of what we do.

Best,
Dirk
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

when broadcasting (or in live sound), you better have some redundancy: an additional mic can save your but!

besides some safety, additional mics can offer a different soundfield or an alternate perspective: i mostly put mics on grand pianos so they can either portray the musician's or the conductor's perpective; then there are mics at a bit larger distance for a more generic approach.

however, i wouldn't use too many mics on a single instrument at the same distance and use them all together...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 11:10 AM.. Reason: edited for clarification
Old 2 weeks ago
I agree about having a concept of what the setup should be and not placing extra mics ad hoc, but your setups are often quite complex, aren’t they? And the setup does offer some flexibility in terms of balancing between the different layers, correct? I assumed that is what Haigbabe was getting at; their setup can be used together, complementary, but ultimately to their ears, one part of it seems to be enough on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf View Post
Hi Haigbabe,

I have never really understood what thought lies behind statements such as "better to be safe than sorry" when it comes to mic setups. You either have a concept that you can make work or you change to one that works better. Putting up mics "just in case" mostly means you do not know what you are doing, IMHO.

There is no reason to believe that a single pair of omnis is better than, let's say, 4 omnis for a piano. It's just a different concept resulting in a different sound.

I might come across nitpicky, but to me this is an essential understanding of what we do.

Best,
Dirk
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
I agree about having a concept of what the setup should be and not placing extra mics ad hoc, but your setups are often quite complex, aren’t they? And the setup does offer some flexibility in terms of balancing between the different layers, correct? I assumed that is what Haigbabe was getting at; their setup can be used together, complementary, but ultimately to their ears, one part of it seems to be enough on its own.
Yes, very true. And when Dirk suggests that a single pre-defined concept should be sufficient, perhaps he’s correct and we’re possibly saying the same thing but from different angles.

A concept of recording piano (for example) for commercial release for me would involve having more than two mics set up. It’s a viable concept. But then to find later that the room was so good, the piano so well maintained, and the artist so proficient that in fact the sound and magic was captured so well with two mics, the others were not adding anything (whereas very often they do!).

This also takes courage to know (and ears to know) that pulling mics out of the mix can occasionally be more beneficial than adding mics in. Not everyone is so brave. And even artists sometimes question a minimal amount of kit if they are concerned about ‘being larger than life’ (for example).

You only need four tyres on a car, who needs a spare?

Perhaps my comment about being ‘safe’ is from having an experience quite some time ago with a major label (back when big $$£€¥€£ were being splashed around) whereby I recorded the orchestral backing tracks for a big release but eventually ran out of time to finish the project but was happy to hand it on to another person the label approved of. The new guy complained that he didn’t have enough first violin material to work with the way he needed. Fair enough. I felt I had enough, but his artistic view was that he needed more.

So I learned that sometimes it’s about getting the best result for the artist and that my ‘concepts’ sometimes needed to be more thoughtful and based on the occasional unknown circumstances.

Haigbabe
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search