The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Immersive classical techniques
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by area8 View Post
After more thoroughly reading past posts, I did see IRCAM Panoramix listed by Plush as a tool to deal with this need (Ambi+spots).

Are there other tools and/or techniques used?

Thanks, again.
There are a plethora of free tools to mix spot mics into ambisonics since the emergence of 360 video. My basic procedure is to upsample any 1st order recordings into 3rd order with the Blue Ripple Harpex Upsampler, sticking with 3rd order through mixing and for the master. I think the easiest way in is to use Reaper with the Facebook 360 Spatial Workstation as the foundation of your mix, then work in other plug-ins from Blue Ripple, IEM, aalto Sparta, Kronlachner's ambiX suite, etc. There are a bunch of free options, but the best stuff to my ears is from Blue Ripple.
Old 7th September 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by over-man View Post
There are a plethora of free tools to mix spot mics into ambisonics since the emergence of 360 video. My basic procedure is to upsample any 1st order recordings into 3rd order with the Blue Ripple Harpex Upsampler, sticking with 3rd order through mixing and for the master. I think the easiest way in is to use Reaper with the Facebook 360 Spatial Workstation as the foundation of your mix, then work in other plug-ins from Blue Ripple, IEM, aalto Sparta, Kronlachner's ambiX suite, etc. There are a bunch of free options, but the best stuff to my ears is from Blue Ripple.
Thank you very much for the recommendations. I’m looking forward to trying them out. I hadn’t previously used Reaper, but I downloaded it (quite compact) and will get acquainted. I have a lot to learn wrt immersive audio, but it will be an enjoyable challenge. I’d once worked with 3D graphics, and it would seem that some of the underlying concepts are similar, not that I plan to resort to coding matrix transformations and such. A new toolset is always invigorating.
Old 9th September 2019
This should be intersting: http://www.aes.org/events/147/recording/?ID=6880

Hope to see you all there!
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbe View Post
This should be intersting: http://www.aes.org/events/147/recording/?ID=6880

Hope to see you all there!
Would love to attend. But as the world is blowing its nose on our dollar at present, it won't happen. Maybe next year.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
At the recent AES show there's been a significant Zylia presence which could be worth checking out: AES 2019: ZYLIA ZR-1 portable recording device

The new standalone recorder box looks very uncomplicated, and offers stereo playback...but presumably you'd need to connect it to a laptop on location to extract a specific surround mix, or even check levels ?

Despite having 19 mic elements, I'm guessing "The Microphone" presents itself as an integrated system, and perhaps you simply set the one gain dial on the front of the box ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I heard a demo of the Zylia last year and wasn't impressed with the overall sound quality, but I'm used to hearing my c700s, which is in another league tonally, and monetarily, though it's only 1st order horizontal. The best quality recordings I've heard besides the c700s are from Angelo Farina's special decoding software with his Eigenmike. He's done some classical recordings of operas in Italy, and his website has samples that you can download and experiment with. I think he's working on a rig with a bunch of DPA capsules right now.

http://pcfarina.eng.unipr.it/Ambisonics.htm
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search