The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Faulkner 4 mic array and variation users: What mic bars do you use?
Old 10th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic ➡️
Another affordable option is the Manfrotto 154 bar. Get a couple of them and put 4 clamps on one bar.
This bar is a great value and easily modified. I took it and replaced the 24 inch tube with a 1 inch military grade aluminum to about 1 meter in length. It's not as attractive as the original black bar, but it's usually pretty high up!
Old 6th February 2020 | Show parent
Are you using the swivel mounts (+ adapting hardware) or do you have another system for rotating the microphone mounts to angle the mics as desired?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Francis,

Sorry for delay, but I only now saw this post...

Here is a response I made to a PM I received on this subject and hope it helps you and others.

Depending on setup, I will use either a Small Rig Super Clamp to hold the bar to the mic stand, or a Rycote INV-7HG- mkiii for additional isolation (the latter if I am only using small/light mics on the bar). To use the Rycote solution on a 15mm bar I use a wrap or two of the type of vinyl/rubber sheet used in kitchen drawers, cut to size (I buy it at a Dollar Store, link for illustration). It grips well, but you may want to anchor it with a bit of gaff tape.

The individual mics are mounted to a Small Rig 860 rail block. It has a 1/4" bolt with jam nut, so easy to position at any angle you require. Depending on mic clamp used you may need to add 1/4" to 3/8" or 5/8" to fit your clamps/shock mounts.

The links below should help, but if you need I can send you a picture of a typical setup.

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-su...hread-735.html

https://www.mymic.rycote.com/product...inv-7hg-mkiii/

https://www.amazon.ca/Duck-283310-No...2547926&sr=8-9

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-si...block-860.html

Hope this helps,
Ron

Last edited by ronmac; 3 weeks ago at 07:24 PM.. Reason: fixed broken links
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac ➡️
Francis,

The links below should help, but if you need I can send you a picture of a typical setup.

Ron
Ron, could you please post some pics of the setup.

Cheers
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinao ➡️
I'm planning to get a light stand with a t-bar. Most of the available ones in my country max out to 11', so I'll just fabricate an extension to take it up to 15'. The t-bar can support an array of par lamps, so it should be rigid and stable enough for 4 mics. I will use Gibraltar SC-MMMC clamps with jam nuts to mount the mics to the t-bar.
I put it together in November of 2019 for a project in March 2020. But Covid19 hit, so it's been sitting here at home. This is it at minimum height.

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The attached files should give you an indication of the mounting possibilities using the Small Rig 15mm rods (2 x 30cm bolted together) and rail blocks.

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a typical setup, so don't yell at me for using the wrong capsules, distances or angles. It is an illustration of the rigidity and strength of the setup. Keep in mind that each of the NTR mics are over 1 kg each and the last picture shows them mounted at opposing 45 degree angles to test the ability of the clamps to handle extreme torque.

The beauty of the rail block system is that each mic can be individually articulated as you please. The downside is that each setup is not easily reproduced without taking precise measurements and photos.

It works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Faulkner 4 mic array and variation users: What mic bars do you use?-img_2587.jpg   Faulkner 4 mic array and variation users: What mic bars do you use?-img_2590.jpg   Faulkner 4 mic array and variation users: What mic bars do you use?-img_2592.jpg   Faulkner 4 mic array and variation users: What mic bars do you use?-img_2593.jpg  
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the photos. I like how you integrated the Dado sphere with the 15mm rods. The SmallRig Single RailBlock you are using looks to be a great solution for mic clips or mounting the rods to the sphere. I may try something similar.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lots of great ideas here. Here are a couple things I can add:

1. While I typically buy authentic Manfrotto products, I purchased this knock-off of the Dado simply because it is black. The only possible deficiency is that the finish may not be as durable long-term. This is a non-issue for me as I use 7/8" neoprene washers on all of my male 3/8" connections, which have the added benefit of keeping everything very tight.

Magic Ball - Ali Express
Magic Ball - eBay

2. I have recently become a big fan of 9.Solutions products. 9.Solutions makes some very nice 3/8" and 5/8" rods in various lengths from 150 mm to 1 m. The 3/8" rods are slightly larger than 3/8" diameter, but have 3/8" male threads on each end. The 5/8" rods have 3/8" female threads on each end, and use some very clever double-ended rod connectors for attachment. The rods also have a flat indent on each end for interfacing with a 5/8" pin socket.

I believe 15 mm clamps such as those mentioned earlier should still fit on a 5/8" rod, as they are less than 1 mm wider.

Tangential to this thread: If you need any kind of rigging clamps, you should give 9.Solutions serious consideration. They have a wide variety of options. The Savior Clamp With Socket is the greatest clamp since sliced bread, in my opinion.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The Saviour Clamp looks like a well engineered product. My geeky inner voice is saying "you must have one".

I am going to resist, as I already have "one" of almost everything, and the last thing I need at my stage of life is another "system" to rig.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac ➡️
The Saviour Clamp looks like a well engineered product. My geeky inner voice is saying "you must have one".

I am going to resist, as I already have "one" of almost everything, and the last thing I need at my stage of life is another "system" to rig.
You must have one! In all seriousness, I haven't used my Manfrotto clamps since; the Savior is just so far ahead in versatility. The self-adjusting articulating jaws are a "you'll never go back" feature.

Not to take this thread too far off topic, but here is a review I wrote up over on TS.
📝 Reply