The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Faulkner 4 mic array and variation users: What mic bars do you use?
Old 12th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy View Post
That t.bone bar looks very similar to the grace space bar. Doesnt look like it has a center mount though, which i use frequently on the grace bar.

My typical configuration on the long bar is ortf in the center with AB 60+ omnis on the outside. This is a versatile array. I sometimes run a wider spaced ortf in the center with MK21s.

Tom
It doesn't have center mount, you're right.

I mostly use ORTF and AB like you or coincident ribbon + condenser on each side and never felt the need for center mount
Old 12th May 2019
That Thomann bar is a clear rip-off of the Grace.
Old 12th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by avillalta View Post
That Thomann bar is a clear rip-off of the Grace.
Definitely. Thomann's T.bone line represents everything that is wrong with Chinese manufacturing. Nothing but cheap knock-offs of other manufacturer's intellectual property. I'd rather pay more than I need to for a Grace than contribute to such blatant theft.

There are some very good Chinese companies with original products, so don't get me wrong there.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

The T Bone is a copy of the Grace long and short bar but they made them several centimeters shorter. I recently bought the Grace 30cm bar and really like it, super high quality, everything locks firmly in place and it's a joy to use. Also alerted Grace about the rip off and they were as expected bit surprised to see this. I like a bargain too, but get the real thing!
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Guru

Thumbs down

That t-bone looks like a cheapo copy of the Grace Space Bar - US only without the standard 3/8" mic. threads.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Copies of original products that "set the bar" are seldom as satisfactory but buyer satisfaction often considers price too. On something as simple as a stereo bar, engineering is almost moot but build quality may be important - one shovel or rake is much the same as another, but if you want a tool that will last then you should buy the best you can afford.
Old 24th May 2019
Thumbs up Tom is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy View Post
...ortf in the center with AB 60+ omnis on the outside. This is a versatile array. I sometimes run a wider spaced ortf in the center with MK21s.
Agreed. The wider Grace Stereo Bar is a very simple, one-pole setup that gives a lot of options at mixdown - especially when combined with a third of cards at the front of the wind section. I've experimented with NOS and ORTF in the center with omnis spread out on the sides. The overbridge attachment works brilliantly for this:

Old 27th May 2019
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbe View Post
Agreed. The wider Grace Stereo Bar is a very simple, one-pole setup that gives a lot of options at mixdown - especially when combined with a third of cards at the front of the wind section. I've experimented with NOS and ORTF in the center with omnis spread out on the sides. The overbridge attachment works brilliantly for this:

This is what I have - but I added an extra two mic. mounts and the short bar as well.

I have 3 standard mic. mounts and one with the riser for XY / ORTF use.
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
This is what I have - but I added an extra two mic. mounts and the short bar as well.

I have 3 standard mic. mounts and one with the riser for XY / ORTF use.
Looks like this is also quite well suited to Gunther Thiele's OCT array:
http://dpaqa.azurewebsites.net/mic-u...nd-microphones
https://schoeps.de/en/products/surro.../oct-sets.html
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Surround-Klepko-Theile.pdf
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Nut

Found a trick on another rhread a while back about decca trees, it works great for me:

Manfrotto dado kit
K&m 1meter extentions
Mandrotto quickadapters

I can make all sorts of funny tgings witg it and you can hang quite a bit on them (done with neumann d01s, chandler redds, 67s)

Eventually the k&m bars will bend a little but they never broke on me.
Old 8th June 2019
Here for the gear
I'm planning to get a light stand with a t-bar. Most of the available ones in my country max out to 11', so I'll just fabricate an extension to take it up to 15'. The t-bar can support an array of par lamps, so it should be rigid and stable enough for 4 mics. I will use Gibraltar SC-MMMC clamps with jam nuts to mount the mics to the t-bar.
Old 19th June 2019
Here for the gear
I'm a huge fan of the K&M 23560 stereo bar for my 4-way arrays. Solid as a rock and will take up to 6 mics - up to 85cm total width. Really not expensive - I got mine from Thomann.

I have also used the 236 smaller bar (38cm) for smaller gigs/narrower spacings, though there isn't any adjustability on that.
Old 19th June 2019
The Sabra-Som kit, with aftermarket Hex, can be crafted into some pretty nifty things! No recall-ability short of gluing everything down, but I’m happy enough with it:
Attached Thumbnails
Faulkner 4 mic array and variation users: What mic bars do you use?-03227bf4-ada1-41ff-a552-760523b897f0.jpeg  
Old 30th June 2019
Gear Head

Thanks for the responses. I ended up getting a Manfrotto 154b; it works a treat!
Attached Thumbnails
Faulkner 4 mic array and variation users: What mic bars do you use?-dsc_6089.jpg  
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenorfran View Post
I'm a huge fan of the K&M 23560 stereo bar for my 4-way arrays. Solid as a rock and will take up to 6 mics - up to 85cm total width. Really not expensive - I got mine from Thomann.
+1

The K&M 23560 Stereo Bar is 850 cm and comes with 6 mic screws and costs €38.

I also have the K&M 236 30 cm bar which is good for single pairs.

Personally I would steer clear of the Sabrasom stuff - I found the tiny knurled knobs difficult to tighten up satisfactorily.

Last edited by James Lehmann; 2nd July 2019 at 11:24 AM..
Old 2nd July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
+1

The K&M 23560 Stereo Bar is 850 cm and comes with 6 mic screws and costs €38.

I also have the K&M 236 30 cm bar which is good for single pairs.
James, do these have the same knurled knobs as the smaller (stereo pair only) K&M 23550? I find these have a tendency to come undone when adjusting angles for ORTF etc., but perhaps that's just me! Anyway, I normally use the excellent Manfrotto 154b: good vertically too for heavy LDC mics in MS and Blumlein.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 View Post
James, do these have the same knurled knobs as the smaller (stereo pair only) K&M 23550? I find these have a tendency to come undone when adjusting angles for ORTF etc
I think it's the standard K&M plastic knurled knob, yes.

I agree they can unwind in exact positioning like ORTF especially if you don't take care to mitigate the cable weight from the rear of the mic. I plan to get those cheap 3D-printed stereo mic-clips for my ORFT various pairs. I think John W is using these now?
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
I think it's the standard K&M plastic knurled knob, yes.

I agree they can unwind in exact positioning like ORTF especially if you don't take care to mitigate the cable weight from the rear of the mic. I plan to get those cheap 3D-printed stereo mic-clips for my ORFT various pairs. I think John W is using these now?
I thought 'German engineering' was a benchmark catchphrase...yet what's evident here (with those knurled knobs in the Thomann listing photo) is the absence of 4 simple spring washers....wholesale cost to the mfrs: around 10-20 cents.
That would have negated the problem of twisting/loosening immediately ....a crucial fail by their penny-pinching dept.
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I thought 'German engineering' was a benchmark catchphrase...yet what's evident here (with those knurled knobs in the Thomann listing photo) is the absence of 4 simple spring washers....wholesale cost to the mfrs: around 10-20 cents.
That would have negated the problem of twisting/loosening immediately ....a crucial fail by their penny-pinching dept.
So if not the K&M bars, which do you use Studer58?
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJones View Post
So if not the K&M bars, which do you use Studer58?
Superlux MA90.... Well made, adjustable, angle markings scribed into the mic mounts, low cost, a bit too heavy...but can handle any mic made. I added threaded mic mounts at the extreme outer edges, for an extra pair of omnis @ 67cms width.
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear
An alternative to the Faulkner phased array/Norman/Boojum '4 mics facing forwards' approach to capturing both direct and ambient material could be the Staag 4 mic system, as shown in this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...irdMtvlRkcs-0Q

JM Acoustic already make quite a few mic support brackets to facilitate the method: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/jm-a...nel+Arrays&s=0
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

I use various versions of Faulkner and Boojum/JNorman, and find the SMP-17 and several different Shapeways mounts very useful. In order to reduce the number of mic stands on stage I recently I picked up a couple of these for widely spaced choir section mics. Not particularly high-end, but a pretty smart idea that begs the question, why didn't anybody think of this earlier?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 4th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
I use various versions of Faulkner and Boojum/JNorman, and find the SMP-17 and several different Shapeways mounts very useful. In order to reduce the number of mic stands on stage I recently I picked up a couple of these for widely spaced choir section mics. Not particularly high-end, but a pretty smart idea that begs the question, why didn't anybody think of this earlier?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes the 2nd threaded end on the boom arm isn't especially high tech, in fact you can simply slide the plastic handgrip off the end of most boom arms and add same with a 5/8" thread cutter. In the case of your On-Stage boom shown, I'm guessing it's a counterweight, rather than a hand-grip ? You can also use that boom to give you a nicely variable-width rear bar for a Decca Tree, reducing the mic stand count to 2.

I've seen similar ball joint gimbal mounts as the SMP-17 for photography use, at B+H and video/ camera supply stores
Old 4th August 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, it's normally fitted with a counterweight. You can get close to three feet of width with the boom extended. It looks slightly wonky, but hard to beat the price.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
The Sabra-Som kit, with aftermarket Hex, can be crafted into some pretty nifty things! No recall-ability short of gluing everything down, but I’m happy enough with it:
Thank you for the tip - I already had some Sabra-Som parts, and ordered the hex bar in 3' length. It is working out quite well for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Christian (@NorseHorse) turned me on to the Sabra-Som bars and mounts. I bought a couple of 24" wide aluminum 6061-T6 3/8" hex rod from Onlinemetals.com for like $2 each. I bougth 4 and they sent me 3 extras that were about 22 1/2" along with the 4 that I paid for. I rattled canned the hex rod and they work perfect.

Okay, I guess I have to measure them out and check the angles with a protractor, but the whole set up cost me about $60 after shipping.

I like this combination, because you can adjust the width of the mounts and the angle if you need to. And the hex rod keeps the mounts in place since they won't rotate around the rod like a round rod will.
Thanks for the pointer to Onlinemetals and the hex bar - working out great for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search