The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best LCD for Grand Piano? - 414s? - MC930s?
Old 16th June 2007 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianokeys View Post
I have also read that the engineer for Diana Krall and Norah Jones both used 149s and those are great piano sounds.
Diana Krall uses 2 149s and 2 AMT M40s ... Applied Microphone Technology - M40 piano mic ... as do many others ... as a mono source, or as the meat with low/high spice mics like the ones mentioned.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Are these takes in mono?
Yep... takes are in mono. straight exports of the raw files from logic down to 16 bit.

Amazing how these mono takes come up with a bit of altiverb applied...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fletcher (or others) - how would you compare the 930s to the 295s as far as tone and ability to paint a complete and full piano pcture.

Thanks!!
Greetings.

These are my two favorite instrument mics ever. The M-295 has detail that has to be heard to be understood. Or maybe I have too limited a vocabulary. This is not to say that the M-930 is lacking in detail as it is not lacking in anything; just that the M-295 is something else entirely. I love both dearly; if you can get both to try in your space, that would no doubt tell you all you need to know. Just the opinion of one set of ears here.

Regards,
Old 24th June 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcause View Post
http://homepage.mac.com/tony.cause/FileSharing1.html

The candidates are Microtech Gefell M930, UM70, M300 and M92.1s... Crowley and Trip Sound Stage and Nake Eye (both sides)... Soundelux U195... Chameleon Labs TS-2 (interesting mic)... Red Type A & B bodies with R0, R6, R4 capsules.

Let me start by saying that the test if nothing else has definitely shown that for my piano I can improve imensly on my existing 414s... and without spending the earth it seems

Hope you can get reasonable access to the files. Let me know what you think.
Thanks so much for posting this! Your 414s sound similar to mine. Gives me hope . I'm assuming you had a listen for the best mic placement to your ears? And I didn't notice which pattern you had the 414s set to?
Old 24th June 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Great suggestions - thanks (I only wish I could hear many of these mics before purchasing up here in Canada) - maybe a trip to Buffalo would be in order - or anywhere in upper New York.

I'm confused about one thing- using small diaphgram condensers close to a piano? (such as the 930s) - Loss of depth no?
I'm in a similar boat and interested to learn. I live in Canada, and after trying a poor SDC (Rode, NT-5, I believe) and then a couple of decent LDC (414s and AT-4050) quickly adopted the false bias that LDCs are better than SDCs for bottom end and fullness of sound. I do understand at this point that this is a false bias due to limited experience.
📝 Reply