The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sound Devices MixPre-10T
Old 19th December 2019
Gear Maniac

I read reports at Taperssection that some MixPre 10 users could not reliably record 8 tracks simultaneously at 24/192.

Has that been fixed?
Old 19th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmusic View Post
I read reports at Taperssection that some MixPre 10 users could not reliably record 8 tracks simultaneously at 24/192.

Has that been fixed?
Thats all based on the CF card quality.
Old 20th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
I just installed the new v5.01 firmware onto my MixPre10T. And I'm happy to say that FINALLY, you can set it up to do pre-fade sends to USB! Thank you to Paul Isaacs and the team at Sound Devices for listening to customer input. And also, I notice that my MixPre10T now works as an interface with Auria Pro on the iPad. In fact, you can choose whether to send pre or post fade to USB. This really opens up possibilities for the 10T, allowing you to create a scratch mix as usual on the 10T, while sending pre-fade to Auria Pro for later mixing.

It is a major PITA to get files onto the iPad from a field recorder. For example, Auria can import files from USB drives with Lightening connectors, but the Nagra Seven isn't able to write to them for some reason. A computer solves the problem, but what's the point of Auria on an iPad when you've got to have a computer with you? Being able to record directly to Auria means your recordings are stored in the Auria sandbox and ready for mixing.

There are a lot of other features, like explicit support for inexpensive control surfaces like the Korg NanoKontrol and others. Plus, some very clever use of the headphone volume encoder in channel options mode. For example, you can hit a fader, and the headphone encoder is automatically available to control gain. Lots of little and very sensible usability changes like that.

But really, the concept of the 10T, as a compact, lightweight battery powered interface with 8 mic pres and 2 line inputs that will talk to an iPad-based DAW is really a beautiful thing for people like me who like to record things while traveling.

Finally, they seem to have made some changes to the Ambisonics support. With an A format mic like the Sennheiser AMBEO, you can record the A format ISOs, plus B format, a L/R mix, and a binaural mix. And of course, you can monitor in binaural. Really fantastic! With this firmware update, Sound Devices has really delivered on the original promise of the MixPre10T.
Thank you for that excellent summary. You have almost convinced me to buy a 10ii, although I’m not a big fan of the Kashmir preamps.

How do you connect your 10T to the iPad? Is it the CCK?

How do you transfer your recordings from the iPad to your laptop? Also CCK?

And finally, do you experience any problems recording 8 tracks simultaneously at high resolutions, i.e., 96 or 192kHz?

If not, are you using the Sound Devices branded SD cards?

Thanks.
Old 20th December 2019
Gear Guru
I think with a DI input to be able to record from other converters etc, would be just about perfect as a mini studio recorder. BTW no problem here with what's on offer internally. Seems to be very clean and detailed...
Old 20th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I think with a DI input to be able to record from other converters etc, would be just about perfect as a mini studio recorder. BTW no problem here with what's on offer internally. Seems to be very clean and detailed...
Have you tried external preamps going line-in through xlr inputs?
Old 20th December 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Have you tried external preamps going line-in through xlr inputs?
Yes and like I said the preamps onboard are great. However with a DI you could bypass the internal conversion and pres which would be useful if you get a better quality chain coming in......
Old 20th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Yes and like I said the preamps onboard are great. However with a DI you could bypass the internal conversion and pres which would be useful if you get a better quality chain coming in......
Do you feel that the line-in through the xlr is a true line-in or does it still go through the mic preamps?
Old 20th December 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Do you feel that the line-in through the xlr is a true line-in or does it still go through the mic preamps?
No unless I'm mistaken all ins go thru preamps.
Honestly the pres are really clean and conversion is great but DI would make more versatile like they have in their other recorders.
I'm amazed by what these do and love not having to deal with a computer to record is very liberating......Amazing value and company!
Old 21st December 2019
Lives for gear
As the 10T has just gotten the firmware update, I haven’t had the chance to try it in the field yet.

I connect the iPad directly with a standard Apple cable (Lightening to USB-A). I found that it would not work with the CCK. And also, it will not work via the USB-C port on the 10T.

You can transfer recordings to the iPad via Dropbox or using IOS compatible hard drives and load them from those external devices for editing. However, I don’t think you can read files that you copied from a stand-alone recorder. Greg Simmons is the guy who has done the most research into this. That’s one reason why it’s really cool that the 10T now supports preface sends over USB. Because now you can record with Auria and not have to deal with importing tracks.

No problems with the 10T at 24/192 since the firmware update some time ago that fixed the high frequency noise problem. The max Auria supports is 24/96.

Quote:
Thank you for that excellent summary. You have almost convinced me to buy a 10ii, although I’m not a big fan of the Kashmir preamps.

How do you connect your 10T to the iPad? Is it the CCK?

How do you transfer your recordings from the iPad to your laptop? Also CCK?

And finally, do you experience any problems recording 8 tracks simultaneously at high resolutions, i.e., 96 or 192kHz?

If not, are you using the Sound Devices branded SD cards?

Thanks.
Old 21st December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
As the 10T has just gotten the firmware update, I haven’t had the chance to try it in the field yet.

I connect the iPad directly with a standard Apple cable (Lightening to USB-A). I found that it would not work with the CCK. And also, it will not work via the USB-C port on the 10T.

You can transfer recordings to the iPad via Dropbox or using IOS compatible hard drives and load them from those external devices for editing. However, I don’t think you can read files that you copied from a stand-alone recorder. Greg Simmons is the guy who has done the most research into this. That’s one reason why it’s really cool that the 10T now supports preface sends over USB. Because now you can record with Auria and not have to deal with importing tracks.

No problems with the 10T at 24/192 since the firmware update some time ago that fixed the high frequency noise problem. The max Auria supports is 24/96.
Thanks very much for that information.

Do you also use Dropbox to transfer recordings from your iPad to a laptop or desktop computer?

The problem with 24/192 I was referring to was that 10T users reported not being able to reliably record a full 8 tracks simultaneously at that higher resolution. Any such problems at 96kHz?

Thanks again.
Old 22nd December 2019
Here for the gear

Hello there people,

Would anyone be able to suggest a decent USB-C to USB-C cable that works well with the 10t for interface purposes, please?

I got myself a Tethertool Pro cable thinking it would be a good choice, and it just distorted and made horrible crackling noise with barely audible music behind it, I thought it may be the unit at first but then when I got a cheap USB-A to USB-C from Amazon it worked straight away.

However, the cable I have has a bit of a loose fit whilst connecting to the laptop and moves around on the laptop side if it's moved, when it does it goes mad, disconnects and I get crackle again (just not as bad as before - still horrid to listen to and mega annoying though). I have to mess around for a few minutes to get it connected properly again - sometimes turning the Mixpre off and on again is the only thing that fixes it. So, I would prefer USB-C to C in the long run, as this would mean I'm also not using up 50% of my USB-A ports on my laptop too!

Am I overthinking this? Do the majority of them work just fine or is it always a gamble? I'm on a Dell laptop running Windows 10, I have the latest ASIO driver installed and have also updated all the Dell USB drivers from their website too if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions people may have!

Jim
Old 22nd December 2019
Lives for gear
Yes, I use it all the time. The problem is that it can take a while to transfer 4-8 high res tracks even under the best circumstances.

My friend Greg Simmons just emailed you let me know that IOS 13 now allows you to access files on an external SD card (with the Apple Lightening card reader) and copy them to the Auria folder. I updated my iPad and gave it a try today and it works perfectly!

I’ve never had trouble with 8 channels at 24/96, which is what I use for field recording. I have not tried 8 tracks at 24/192.

Quote:
Thanks very much for that information.

Do you also use Dropbox to transfer recordings from your iPad to a laptop or desktop computer?

The problem with 24/192 I was referring to was that 10T users reported not being able to reliably record a full 8 tracks simultaneously at that higher resolution. Any such problems at 96kHz?

Thanks again.
Old 22nd December 2019
Gear Maniac

I have never had any trouble recording eight or ten audio tracks on our MixPre-10T at any of the sampling rate including 192k. You have to use high-end SD cards as per Sound Devices' recommended list. The only problems we have with using high track-counts at 192k are the wretched filesplits (we need RF64 or mono files) and also the 'instant' mirror backup to USB thumbdrive is as slow as molasses.

Otherwise the MixPre is a fantastic alternative to dragging a laptop, interface and mic pre's for straightforward concert or video jobs.
Old 22nd December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes, I use it all the time. The problem is that it can take a while to transfer 4-8 high res tracks even under the best circumstances.

My friend Greg Simmons just emailed you let me know that IOS 13 now allows you to access files on an external SD card (with the Apple Lightening card reader) and copy them to the Auria folder. I updated my iPad and gave it a try today and it works perfectly!

I’ve never had trouble with 8 channels at 24/96, which is what I use for field recording. I have not tried 8 tracks at 24/192.
That’s great news about the external SD card. Can you also copy files from the Auria folder to the card? That would probably be faster than Dropbox.

Also good new re 8 channels at 24/96. Do you use the Sound Devices branded SD card?

Thanks again for this information.
Old 22nd December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
I have never had any trouble recording eight or ten audio tracks on our MixPre-10T at any of the sampling rate including 192k. You have to use high-end SD cards as per Sound Devices' recommended list. The only problems we have with using high track-counts at 192k are the wretched filesplits (we need RF64 or mono files) and also the 'instant' mirror backup to USB thumbdrive is as slow as molasses.

Otherwise the MixPre is a fantastic alternative to dragging a laptop, interface and mic pre's for straightforward concert or video jobs.
Thanks so much, Tony, for confirming that recording a full track count at 192k is no problem with the high-end SD cards.

It is a wonderfully convenient unit. Have you ever used it to record a concert for CD release?
Old 22nd December 2019
Gear Maniac

We have used our MixPre-10T for a good few projects. Mostly live concerts when we are working with a video crew and need to be quick and out of the way. I guess we have used it for about forty or fifty concerts. For two jobs this month. Some venues have nowhere convenient to use backstage as a temporary control-room, so we are monitoring on headphones anyway. Largest scale so far would probably be Beethoven symphonies 4, 5 & 6. As far as releases are concerned most would be audio-for-video on some kind of video media - website, YouTube, Vimeo, BluRay, DVD. An example from this month would be https://www.dropbox.com/s/oc3ab6y4pd...final.mp4?dl=0
No claims it is perfect, not least because we only had 30mins to set up cameras and microphones.
Old 22nd December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
We have used our MixPre-10T for a good few projects. Mostly live concerts when we are working with a video crew and need to be quick and out of the way. I guess we have used it for about forty or fifty concerts. For two jobs this month. Some venues have nowhere convenient to use backstage as a temporary control-room, so we are monitoring on headphones anyway. Largest scale so far would probably be Beethoven symphonies 4, 5 & 6. As far as releases are concerned most would be audio-for-video on some kind of video media - website, YouTube, Vimeo, BluRay, DVD. An example from this month would be https://www.dropbox.com/s/oc3ab6y4pd...final.mp4?dl=0
No claims it is perfect, not least because we only had 30mins to set up cameras and microphones.
That sounded wonderful. The piano recording in particular was beautiful. Nice piece as well. Thanks so much for posting that example.

With only 30 minutes to set up both audio and video, I can well see why the 10T is a godsend.

This information is much appreciated.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Guru
New firmware ! 6.0 updated today....
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagentaRed View Post
Hello there people...

However, the cable I have has a bit of a loose fit whilst connecting to the laptop and moves around on the laptop side if it's moved, when it does it goes mad, disconnects and I get crackle again (just not as bad as before - still horrid to listen to and mega annoying though). I have to mess around for a few minutes to get it connected properly again - sometimes turning the Mixpre off and on again is the only thing that fixes it. So, I would prefer USB-C to C in the long run, as this would mean I'm also not using up 50% of my USB-A ports on my laptop too!

Jim
I run two aging (but nearly perfectly functional) mid-2012 Mac Book Pro i7 machines (one 13", one 15"), one on Sierra (for occasional Final Cut Pro work... I don't do nearly enough video edit these days to warrant the upgrade fees for FCPX or a move to Avid) and the second on High Sierra for Logic Pro X. The USB_A ports have "loosened" just enough that I keep two 1/2"x1-1/2" strips of Pro Gaff on the chassis to allow me to secure USB-A cables. It's a (not particularly elegant) workaround... but as I have a lot of "legacy" sources, the thought of a new machine with but two USB-3/TB3 ports (and the dongle farm) keeps my "upgrade reflex" in check.

Works for me, and it should work with USB-C as well, if it's a port problem...

and I always have a roll of Pro Gaff handy, anyway.

Cheers.

HB
Attached Thumbnails
Sound Devices MixPre-10T-img_8984.jpg  

Last edited by hbphotoav; 16th January 2020 at 06:34 PM..
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Nut

I have been involved in location sound for film and later video since the early 70's. Nagra preamps ruled in those days. Later in video switched to SQN and Cooper. Interestingly over the time I used my Cooper, I would receive comments regarding the quality of the sound recorded.
Later switched to Sound Devices products and never received any compliments about the sound. Their products work and are ok sonically. Have since sold all SD products and started using Cantars.
Pricing on SD products in now much closer to what I consider the better location mixer/recorders (Nagra, Sonosax, Aaton). I believe some or many of the SD products are now outsourced as far as production goes. Probably doesn't matter as the designs still reside with SD.
I just wish Andy had made a recorder!!
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpro View Post
I have been involved in location sound for film and later video since the early 70's. Nagra preamps ruled in those days. Later in video switched to SQN and Cooper. Interestingly over the time I used my Cooper, I would receive comments regarding the quality of the sound recorded.
Later switched to Sound Devices products and never received any compliments about the sound. Their products work and are ok sonically. Have since sold all SD products and started using Cantars.
Pricing on SD products in now much closer to what I consider the better location mixer/recorders (Nagra, Sonosax, Aaton). I believe some or many of the SD products are now outsourced as far as production goes. Probably doesn't matter as the designs still reside with SD.
I just wish Andy had made a recorder!!

Nothing like properly aligned and biased tape!!!!

Outsourcing? My MixPre 6 II says Made in the USA. Not assembled, but made.
Old 14th February 2020
Here for the gear

Could this work well as an interface for a small live concert, with an equalizer/mixer connected?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Nothing like properly aligned and biased tape!!!!

Outsourcing? My MixPre 6 II says Made in the USA. Not assembled, but made.
Mine as well Made In The USA MixPre 6 II ... I know this is nit picking but thoght I would toss it out there ... Has anyone who owns a MixPre 6 II notice that the XLR release tabs are not standard and are a bit sharp on the top edges. I noticed this right away as I have lots of gear with Neutrik XLR,s and they all have a more rounded smooth release tab. Zoom also has the smooth not sharp release tabs anyone else notice this slight oddity, its like they have been rough stamped cut and not filed and polished. Again Nit Picking but was curious if its just my copy. The unit it self works and sounds great for my use recording SFX running v6.00 firmware. Also worth noting def use the recommended cards I had tried a new formatted Lexar and it had issues right away, switched to Sandisk and it now works fine, funny enough I had a Marantz recorder that also only played nice with Sandisk and hated Lexar cards with a passion so I would say the control chips are completely dif from brand to brand with Lexar in my opin being the most incompatible and troublesome for audio based devices.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFXDude View Post
Mine as well Made In The USA MixPre 6 II ... I know this is nit picking but thoght I would toss it out there ... Has anyone who owns a MixPre 6 II notice that the XLR release tabs are not standard and are a bit sharp on the top edges. I noticed this right away as I have lots of gear with Neutrik XLR,s and they all have a more rounded smooth release tab. Zoom also has the smooth not sharp release tabs anyone else notice this slight oddity, its like they have been rough stamped cut and not filed and polished.
I have the original MixPre6, it also has the rough release tab edges. Hmm didn't give it much thought, but now that you mention it, it's a bit odd.

::
Mads
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
I have the original MixPre6, it also has the rough release tab edges. Hmm didn't give it much thought, but now that you mention it, it's a bit odd.

::
Mads
Yes I notice every detail of the gear I use and the higher the cost the more perfection I expect :-) Of course we know the new 833 has the smooth conventional XLR release tabs.

Interesting so its not just mine. The real reason why I gave it some thought is yes I am a detail freak, but I own another SD device and like all others its got smooth rounded normal XLR tabs.

The other reason is this is a costly piece of gear not some 50 dollar no name thing with cheap jacks, so I expect in this price class fit and finish even down to the jacks used to be top shelf perfection. Call me crazy but that's what I expect and odder even so, is that these are genuine Neutrik jacks. but what ones are they as I have never seen these sharp tiny tabs on any other gear. Including my old SD Stuff. Its not a deal breaker or anything but I would love to know why they did not use the same smooth cut tabs everyone else seems to use.

So that is the question ... I wonder why these were chosen then and not machined smooth and polished as normally seen with Neutriks high level of quality, I note these are a tad smaller but was that even really needed?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

We have a MixPre10T here that is a couple of years old, and the XLR release tabs were also a bit rough. My guess is they had to do this to clear anything mounted on top, like a camera bar. I'd never seen these mini release tabs before, I have no idea if Neutrik does this specially for them or what. I took a needle file to them. Maybe SD thought most users would have connectors semipermanently mounted in their bag. You could ask them.

I'm of the mind where on a $1.3k USD 8 track pro device, I don't worry so much since everything else works to pro standards. If they were charging $10k, I would.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLouie View Post
We have a MixPre10T here that is a couple of years old, and the XLR release tabs were also a bit rough. My guess is they had to do this to clear anything mounted on top, like a camera bar. I'd never seen these mini release tabs before, I have no idea if Neutrik does this specially for them or what. I took a needle file to them. Maybe SD thought most users would have connectors semipermanently mounted in their bag. You could ask them.

I'm of the mind where on a $1.3k USD 8 track pro device, I don't worry so much since everything else works to pro standards. If they were charging $10k, I would.
Good point they are probably special just for the MixPre Series to be extra low profile clearing everthing. That makes perfect sense but still they could have been smooth as all others are regardless just extra attention to the little details, but yes the machine works and sounds great. Needle file there ya go :-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLouie View Post

They buy standard connectors and cut the tabs in half. It is a bit ghetto, as is the LEGO wheel on the ii series volume knob, but it works.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Indeed. I would’ve like to have been at the meeting after they discovered the release tabs didn’t clear top-mounted gear! (“Dang! I guess we can chop off the tabs.....”)

I also thought the FireWire connector on our 722s looked like they’d been hand filed to be flush. But again, it didn’t affect function.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.

D.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search