The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trying to select a Great DAW for Editing classical music.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohler View Post
When editing, you adjust a fade, then you click space bar (or F9, F10) to audition it.

To what parameters are you referring? The video shows clearly how you change the length, start point, end point, shape, position etc... of the fade.

Well, a full blown crossfade editor not only should do what you stated, it should also be able to have presets, moving crossover point by typing in numbers, pre-define adjustment step to a certain duration, or multiplication of a certain duration, like video frame length (important if one needs to do a last minute editing for a video project) define editing mode such as with ripple or no ripple, pre-roll and post roll time, ability to let you pick which of the tracks out of the full tracks to edit, displaying all different time codes, etc…. These are just something I can think of without referring to any particular crossfade editor as a sample.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseetoo View Post
Well, a full blown crossfade editor not only should do what you stated, it should also be able to have presets, moving crossover point by typing in numbers, pre-define adjustment step to a certain duration, or multiplication of a certain duration, like video frame length (important if one needs to do a last minute editing for a video project) define editing mode such as with ripple or no ripple, pre-roll and post roll time, ability to let you pick which of the tracks out of the full tracks to edit, displaying all different time codes, etc…. These are just something I can think of without referring to any particular crossfade editor as a sample.
Yes, and it has all of the things you mention and more.

If you would like a demo, contact me at [email protected].
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Can you post a full screen shot of it?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Longtime Reaper fan here.

FWIW, Ripple Editing and Source-Destination / 4-point editing have been possible in Reaper for years now with the SWS Extension. Here is the direct link to Source/Destination functionality, but be sure check out the other sections of this guide.

https://urosbaric.com/reaper-classic...-point-editing

I use SWS Extensions on every project, but mostly for the Marker utilities and auto render functions. I don't record anything significant enough for source/destination edits, but maybe some of you would be interested in trying it.

Having said all that, I would be interested to try out the Cohler Classical solution.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseetoo View Post
Can you post a full screen shot of it?
I have posted several videos of it already. If you want a demo of it, contact me at [email protected].

As I said, it has everything you mentioned and more...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

An interesting exchange of messages has apparantly been moderated (?) - no clue to what happened.

To Cohler's defense, I am getting fed up by Pyramix, their lack of development and their forum, which has usually no answers.

I finally got me a Black Friday V12 native version. JBridge does not function anymore, even though it functions properly on V9 on Windows10. No support, as Merging officially does not support JBridge problems.

New bug: I did a mixdown to mp3, four times. Every time I end up with a file that is 50x too small, and sounds like it has a LPF at 800 Hz !
Broken functionality !

I did not get round to testing some old existing bugs (collapsed view, insert or cut silence, the bottom collapsed track tends to lose sync between the multitrack tracks, even when they are recorded in one interleaved pmf file !)
A bug that is still there: upon opening a project, the one track that is active (auto play/auto records etc enabled, no selection) remains active, EVEN when you click on another track. You can only disable the original track, by FIRST clicking on it and then clicking on another.

The list goes on, and nobody listens at Merging.

If I would have bought an expensive version, I would be all over their email & phone, giving them hell !

At the time, I also found their DDP solution ridiculously expensive. Now their standard native version has it for free, as well as (finally!) some timestretch and pitch shift ability ... A few years back, both options set you back 800 euro.

I refuse to give them serious money, until they sort out their buggy code.

If you want a stable recording platform, and decent editing, look at Pyramix Native essentials. Nothing more expensive.
If Reaper + the Cohler package is bug free, I would look into that first.

Problem is, most Pyramix users are shouting that they have no bugs, so how can we trust Reaper users ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Problem is, most Pyramix users are shouting that they have no bugs, so how can we trust Reaper users ?
Reaper users do a lot of shouting too, but remember that unlike Pyramix it's not claiming to be a specialized classical editor...it's a generalist DAW program which aims to be all things to all users (including video as well !)

Clearly Reaper can't hope to please all of the people all of the time, but it is responsive to bug repairs and implementing new functionality....but some things (like source/destination) have never risen to the level of developer priority, so individuals like Cohler and previous pioneers have posted scripts and workarounds to provide a modicum of better editing utility.

If you look at the changelog for new Reaper versions (6.x), it will give you an idea of what their rate of user responsiveness typically is: https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php

Version 5 gives you an even better overall picture, over recent years (updates rolled out typically 1-2x per month) : https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php?ver=5x
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I should try the 60 days demo, maybe I'll find the time in a couple of months.
Can you run 32 bit VST plugins on a 64 bit OS ? JBridge ?

On my newest PC, Resolve studio runs the jbridged version of Pristine Space (after some twiddling to get the UI to work), but Pyramix v12 relies on Jbridger.exe itself, and it does not load the plugin. v9 does (on a different W10 version ...)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Can you run 32 bit VST plugins on a 64 bit OS ? JBridge ?
Yes Reaper does this bridging for you, it's one of the install options
You can even install Reaper on a portable USB thumb drive if you want to make it portable, it's only around 10-15 MB in download size.

Glance over the owner manual: https://www.reaper.fm/userguide/ReaperUserGuide603d.pdf

and QuickStart manual: https://www.reaper.fm/guides/REAPER%20Quick%20Start.pdf

Not forgetting the "How To" videos: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php
Old 2 weeks ago
2 cents...

I don't have many regrets about recording, but not using Sequoia or Samplitude earlier is one of them.

Sequoia was a dramatic improvement in terms of speed and functionality, and I began using it when I joined the "The President's Own" in 2014 (about the same time I was starting to do more editing and album projects). Source-destination editing was fabulous, but I was doubly surprised to realize that my speed of mixing/editing/exporting basic recitals was markedly increased as well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Fully on board with Sequoia here.

My friend Ryan Albrecht taught me the program. I'm still learning after coming from SADiE.

Last edited by Plush; 2 weeks ago at 10:30 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
I’ve been a happy Sequoia user since version 8 back in 2005. It’s an amazing platform that only keeps getting better.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
You can‘t go wrong with Samplitude/Sequoia.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I started to use Sequoia in 1999, version 5...

I even edited some recording while sitting next to a pool with a laptop that year. How cool was that?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Started with Sequoia at version 5.x as well. Was pretty primitive, but compared to Sonic Solutions (which I had been on), it was pretty stunning as to what it could do.

-Ben
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
A
If Reaper + the Cohler package is bug free, I would look into that first.
Happy to demo it for you and you can be a beta tester if you like. Contact me at [email protected].

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search