The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MKH 8020 or MKH 8090?
Old 28th March 2017
MKH 8020 or MKH 8090?

Hi all, struggling to make a decision between a pair MKH 8020s and MKH 8090s, weighing up all the advantages and disadvantages of the two patterns and which is most useful for my work. Would love to hire both, but no chance of finding 8090s around my location (Berlin). So, I open it up to you and your collective wisdom;

Can anyone who has used/is using both share some insights about their differences and similarities in practice? Could one say that the 8090s might be perceivably closer to either the omni or cardioid?

Thanks very much!
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAsnan View Post
Hi all, struggling to make a decision between a pair MKH 8020s and MKH 8090s, weighing up all the advantages and disadvantages of the two patterns and which is most useful for my work.
Much depends on what your work is -- what you need the mics to do.

The two designs are different (pure pressure omni vs. pressure gradient wide card). You should expect that they'll sound different. Not that one is better than the other. It's just that both will sound like what they are.

Basically, either will give you excellent results is you use them correctly.
Old 28th March 2017
The 8090 is closer to a cardioid sound than an Omni sound, imo. Using it as mains doesn't give you that Omni openness or bass response which characterizes a pair of 8020 or other omnis' euphonic and attractive sound.

That said, I love the mic for what it is and use it frequently.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

One of the beauty parts of the 8020 is that it is Sennheiser's showcase mic for the new extended freq. response design. The 8020 has response to 60kHz. It is a fantastic mic and not a dark sound as some have claimed (they must have been comparing it to a bright Chinese mic).

Recently I heard some 3D recordings done with the 8090. These recordings used 20 mics and sounded fantastic. They had a very appealing tonal quality with very good bass. The 8090 is like most wide cardioids. It is a cardioid mic.

If the OP gets to work in good rooms and good sounding halls and churches, then I suggest the omni.

Does the OP need directionality?
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
One of the beauty parts of the 8020 is that it is Sennheiser's showcase mic for the new extended freq. response design. The 8020 has response to 60kHz. It is a fantastic mic and not a dark sound as some have claimed (they must have been comparing it to a bright Chinese mic).
No actually compared to a more neutral sounding american made mic which was mentioned to you several times in that thread. I'm not sure why country of origin is brought into the discussion when the laws physics is the same on all continents. Writing rubbish like that when you have the facts already only makes you look like an internet troll.

Extending on axis response to 60kHz does not affect tonality in the audio range where the 8020 is flat on axis and rolled off at all other angles.

This makes 8020 what is called a free field equalized mic which will be non flat in a diffuse field as explained earlier.

I'm not sure why you feel a need to bring this up again when tons of evidence was presented to you already.

Again, the reason for the dull sound you get from free field eq'ed mic's in many situations is the reason why Schoeps, Neumann and many other manufacturers have several versions of diffuse field eq'ed designs as well.
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear
It's not too difficult to 'diffuse-field-equalize' the output from a pair of 8020's using a simple shelving eq, if that is desired/called for, in working with the audio file.

Arguable that the tilt-up in mic response applied to MKH20 (via onboard DF switch), or hard wired into KM183 response, is a crude hammer anyway....an approximation at best of what happens (inversely) to sound outside the critical distance ?

Last edited by studer58; 30th March 2017 at 02:38 PM..
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
It's not too difficult to 'diffuse-field-equalize' the output from a pair of 8020's using a simple shelving eq, if that is desired/called for, in working with the audio file.
Yes, IME lifting the top in post works fine normally and I basically always do it more or less.
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Honestly, I wouldn't buy either one. They aren't horrible mics, but they have been seldom used in my kit as well. I'd look to spend the extra couple bucks for a set of MKH20 instead. A much more versatile microphone- especially with the rings that help with high-frequency directivity.

--Ben
Old 31st March 2017
If anyone has a twin set of 8020s, or 8090s, or 8040s they'd like to get rid of, I run a waif house for unloved 8000 series mics. No cost to you, At. All.
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't buy either one. They aren't horrible mics, but they have been seldom used in my kit as well. I'd look to spend the extra couple bucks for a set of MKH20 instead. A much more versatile microphone- especially with the rings that help with high-frequency directivity.

--Ben
Rings ? Hardly the sole reason to buy MKH20's when they are so easily copied
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5153135-post1.html
These have served me well over the last 6 years....40cents from the plumbing shop. The MKH20's do a great job though, I'll not deny that.....
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

I didn't say it was the sole reason. The reason is that it is a much more versatile mic. The rings happen to help.

I really dislike the 8020. I have a pair and they are used probably only a couple times per year. Hey are dark and murky and bordering on muddy in a lot of situations. I purchased them expecting something closer to the 20 or 80/800. Unfortunately, they aren't even close.

-Ben
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Hi Ben, would you list your favorite 3 or 4 Omni mics, just curious after reading the MKH8020 comments.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd270 View Post
Hi Ben, would you list your favorite 3 or 4 Omni mics, just curious after reading the MKH8020 comments.
To be honest, I generally don't specifically have favorites. I tend to choose my mics based on the ensemble and the room and what they are giving me.

That being said, these are what I use most often- dpa4006 (or 4006TL), Schoeps MK2 (with MK2S and 5 behind that). My next Omni purchase will be a set of the Josephsons (which are fantastic). I like the Sanken CO-100K, but it is difficult to use in a live setting due to the sensitivity of placement. I also need to get my own set of MKH20s as I don't own the ones I use.

The list of wish but will probably have a difficult time justifying cost include DPA4041 (tube body) and Sonodore.

-Ben
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Ben thanks for your response and an Omni that I would like to try is the Gefell M296, it has a very lively sound that's appealing in the samples that are on the net.
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Guru

My favourite omnis are the MKH 20 and Gefell M 221
Old 1st April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
My favourite omnis are the MKH 20 and Gefell M 221
I just bought a pair of M221s. Sadly, one capsule is clearly defective. I'm sending them back for warranty work. Any experience with Gefell's warranty exchange/service performance?
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Nut
I sent my m296s for warranty repair and it took three months. I gather that it mostly depends on the shipping schedule; they gather orders and ship all at once.
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by avillalta View Post
I just bought a pair of M221s. Sadly, one capsule is clearly defective. I'm sending them back for warranty work. Any experience with Gefell's warranty exchange/service performance?
It's very good - you will need to send them both back if they are a matched pair - and do it via the dealer you bought them from.

Faulty from new is extremely rare, but they sort it out quickly.
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOp View Post
I sent my m296s for warranty repair and it took three months. I gather that it mostly depends on the shipping schedule; they gather orders and ship all at once.
That's bad - a distributor should ship guarantee repairs immediately, or give you a Repair Order for you to ship direct.

Once Gefell have it they are very good.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avillalta View Post
If you purchased the set new, have your dealer immediately supply a new pair.
Don't repair new equipment, only replace it.

If you purchased used, please know that Gefell has excellent and top top service dept. Plan on an 8 week turn-around.
Old 2nd April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
If you purchased the set new, have your dealer immediately supply a new pair.
Don't repair new equipment, only replace it.

If you purchased used, please know that Gefell has excellent and top top service dept. Plan on an 8 week turn-around.
They were demos. Still warrantied. Here's hoping the process goes smoothly.
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
To be honest, I generally don't specifically have favorites. I tend to choose my mics based on the ensemble and the room and what they are giving me.

That being said, these are what I use most often- dpa4006 (or 4006TL), Schoeps MK2 (with MK2S and 5 behind that). My next Omni purchase will be a set of the Josephsons (which are fantastic). I like the Sanken CO-100K, but it is difficult to use in a live setting due to the sensitivity of placement. I also need to get my own set of MKH20s as I don't own the ones I use.

The list of wish but will probably have a difficult time justifying cost include DPA4041 (tube body) and Sonodore.

-Ben
Ben,
I have a Josephson C617 pair and they
sound like "being there".
FYI, Josephson makes a 40mm APE sphere for the 617.
Old 28th June 2017
Bumping this with a revised question: Can anyone post an AB between 8020/8090 ? I now have 8020s, but realise that, as good as they can sound, the work I do mostly calls for some attenuation from behind, as the locations are rarely suited to music, but am still attracted to a more open pickup. Thus, I am considering the addition of the 8090 also (as well as considering some other omnis). But I wonder, do they sound distinct enough between them? Is it a worthy filler between 8020 and 8040? Or perhaps I should consider something completely different; Schoeps or DPA or Gefell wide cards? All of my mics are Sennheiser MKH (from 435Ts through to 8040s) and they all mix well..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search