The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
One Steinway, One pianist, One pair of Gefell M296s - feedback welcome!
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I have asked Gefell what the tolerances are and will post when they answer.
The reply:- "The M296 pairs are in the frequency response max. 0.5dB apart.
In the sensitivity, we usually try to keep the value at 1kHz below 0.4dB.
In the M296S version, the frequency response is even tighter."
Old 5th September 2019
Definitely preferred the sound of the first, but if I’m being picky, I didn’t really care for the placement of either. The first I feel is too far from the hammers, though it does capture a nice bloom of piano sound that the second lacks. The second is too close and doesn’t flatter the sound of the piano, particularly in the low end.

If a piano is not immaculately maintained and tuned, going close is rarely a pretty thing. And even when it is, you do still need some distance for the sound of the instrument to develop a bit, as with most instruments. imo anyways. Ymmv.

Thank you for posting these samples! In spite of my criticism, I did very much enjoy listening to them. I hope my notes are constructive.
Old 6th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
John, you seem to have a lot of insight on Gefell specifications. What would you expect for how well a pair of M296S (or pair of M296) mics would track each other for frequency response (assuming they were ordered/built as a matched pair)?

Also, how closely would you expect the M296S (or the M296 for that matter) frequency response (as shown on the frequency response graph delivered with each mic) to track the typical frequency response as specified for the product?

Quote:
First THIS is the correction of the broken link above (the site is now http: and not https

I have asked Gefell what the tolerances are and will post when they answer.

Quote:
The reply:- "The M296 pairs are in the frequency response max. 0.5dB apart.
In the sensitivity, we usually try to keep the value at 1kHz below 0.4dB.
In the M296S version, the frequency response is even tighter."
Hi John,
Thanks for finding out the details to Gefell M296 frequency response specifications for matched pairs.
Old 7th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
Definitely preferred the sound of the first, but if I’m being picky, I didn’t really care for the placement of either. The first I feel is too far from the hammers, though it does capture a nice bloom of piano sound that the second lacks. The second is too close and doesn’t flatter the sound of the piano, particularly in the low end. If a piano is not immaculately maintained and tuned, going close is rarely a pretty thing. And even when it is, you do still need some distance for the sound of the instrument to develop a bit, as with most instruments. imo anyways. Ymmv. Thank you for posting these samples! In spite of my criticism, I did very much enjoy listening to them. I hope my notes are constructive.
Thanks for your comments.

Points noted - hopefully there will be a third occasion where I can find the perfect 'Goldilocks' position; not too far, not too close!
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
(...) hopefully there will be a third occasion where I can find the perfect 'Goldilocks' position; not too far, not too close!
...either this or use two mic systems, one close and one at some distance: makes life much more easy imo (needs more gear though)...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search