The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1/2" condenser Blumlein stereo, Comments
Old 28th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEEspresso View Post
Hello all,

Finally got a chance to use the CMS88 in a session. Acoustic guitar and unamplified singing. Mic placement about 2 meters from performer. Pueblo JR2/2 preamp, Tascam da3000, Grimm clock. DSD 5.6mHz.

Mic is quite lovely, tonality and timbre are wonderfully preserved. Perhaps a mild high freq roll, not obectionable. Not bright and string plucks and sibilants have a natural attack which is neither shrill nor harsh.

Tony, I've been a great fan of your recordings from a distance in their capture of audience perspective, ambience and reverberation balance. CMS88 captures the room and ambience in a great way as well, even close in.

If I can get clearance, I'll post examples or when it's released I'll post links.

Looking forward to my next session, another singer/guitarist.

Thanks Tony.
Nice to know your experience. Looking forward to your examples.
Old 3rd September 2018
CSM88 now flying in the National Concert Hall in Taipei as the main stereo microphone.
Old 3rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean View Post
CSM88 now flying in the National Concert Hall in Taipei as the main stereo microphone.
nice!

could you reveal some details about positioning (distance to front of stage/conductor, height above stage/audience, angle, distance behind mic to roof and/or front to back relation within the hall)?

p.s. interesting choice (not in terms of manufacturer - congratulation! - but in terms of type): blumlein for mains is by far my least favourite choice...
Old 3rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
blumlein for mains is by far my least favourite choice...
I thought you said on a recent thread that you wanted utmost localization.
Old 3rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu View Post
I thought you said on a recent thread that you wanted utmost localization.
correct, but i don't like the rear pickup/room sound of blumleins much (hence my question about the distance/room behind them).

i prefer using directional (coincident) mic systems for mains plus a more distant (widely spaced) pair for room sound (that can be used to taste).

what is your favourite technique?
Old 3rd September 2018
Lives for gear

I don't wish to make trouble... but is the red dot not at the "center" of the Blumlein pair? I can appreciate getting the logo centered for the photo... but the position of the elements seems wrong...

Happy to be disabused of the notion, if I'm missing something.

HB
Old 3rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
I don't wish to make trouble... but is the red dot not at the "center" of the Blumlein pair? I can appreciate getting the logo centered for the photo... but the position of the elements seems wrong...

HB
Yes, I had the same question. Is there a structural bar of the cage right across the middle of the capsule?
Old 4th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post

HB
No, you did not make any trouble. The red dot reflect the red label XLR plug to reflect the capsule signal will present with this XLR plug.

Since the capsule and the pre-stage is a 2-part design so that the pre-stage can work with the future capsules, such as dual cardioid XY stereo, or shotgun plus a figure-8 for MS stereo. So that the logo on the pre-stage can not be aligned perfectly with the capsule. Maybe we can come out with a solution in the future that the logo can be aligned perfectly.

Thank you.
Old 27th September 2018
Recorded with B9audio VR Ball, including 2 x CM120F, 4 x CM180. Pseude direction for stereo mix: Front Upward biased.
Basic CM120F pair, binaural setup, added with CM180 pair, horizontal, and CM180 vertical pair at -4dB related to omni pair.
So that is kind of a pair of omni-cardioid pointing a little to front and upward.
No effect process, no EQ, no compressor. Pure signal mixing.
Old 26th October 2018
Did a CSM88 piano sample.
Piano is a 40 years old Yamaha G3.
Uncompressed wave file link is listed in the youtube video.
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean View Post
Did a CSM88 piano sample.
Piano is a 40 years old Yamaha G3.
Can you tell something of the mic placement...ie height, distance from piano, in front of piano (or above, at tail end etc) ? Thank you
Old 26th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Can you tell something of the mic placement...ie height, distance from piano, in front of piano (or above, at tail end etc) ? Thank you
Closest string: 71cm, Farthest string: 113cm. Top to floor: 140cm.

Old 10th December 2018
Developing new product. A pre-stage with direct cable out to reduce size and weight. Various stereo technique can be realized hen combining 2 pre-stage, and a support together. Not firm design yet.
Old 21st December 2018
Side address ORTF stereo piano recording. No process. Direct wav download link in the description.
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

The cardioid wide XY and ORTF recordings are nice Personally I found the Blumlein recording less exciting.
Old 22nd December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrovolt View Post
The cardioid wide XY and ORTF recordings are nice Personally I found the Blumlein recording less exciting.
Yes, it is very interesting. A fix Blumlein stereo is convenient, but it could be more useful to have a stereo kit that let the user set it up anyway he/she like.
Old 26th March 2019
CSM88 will be replaced by this flexible configuration. The kit comprised with a pair of C8 capsule, a pair of CMP1C hard wired with 2 feet cable into a XLR 5-pin plug, a conversion cable from a XLR-5 female plug to dual XLR 3-pin plug, mounting bracket, and a carrying case.
The good thing about this change, is the user can split them as 20cm spaced, parallel facing figure-8 as Faulkner phase array. And also change one of the capsule to make the kit as MS stereo, and many other possibility.
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear

Looks like a direct copy of the Schoeps MK8. Has it got any asymmetry?
Old 4 weeks ago
FSM88 is ready. Blumlein, and not only Blumlein. Can be re-configured with other capsules and mounts.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search