The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Tascam DR-100mkIII
Old 25th August 2016
Here for the gear

New Tascam DR-100mkIII

Does anyone know if there has been hardware improvements to the Tascam DR-100mkIII compared to the Tascam DR-100mkII? Like the pres or mics.
Old 25th August 2016
Lives for gear

according to Product: DR-100mkIII | TASCAM

• AKM AK4558 converters with VELVET SOUND architecture deliver a S/N ratio of 102dB
• Dual mono mode, using independent AK4558 converters for both the left and right channels, provides a S/N ratio of 109dB
• External microphones supported with XLR/TRS inputs and built-in low-noise HDDA mic preamps
• Onboard dual (directional/omnidirectional) stereo microphones with integrated shockmounts deliver flexible recording options while retaining professional quality audio performance
• Supports up to 192kHz/24bit recording
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge View Post
according to Product: DR-100mkIII | TASCAM

• AKM AK4558 converters with VELVET SOUND architecture deliver a S/N ratio of 102dB
• Dual mono mode, using independent AK4558 converters for both the left and right channels, provides a S/N ratio of 109dB
• External microphones supported with XLR/TRS inputs and built-in low-noise HDDA mic preamps
• Onboard dual (directional/omnidirectional) stereo microphones with integrated shockmounts deliver flexible recording options while retaining professional quality audio performance
• Supports up to 192kHz/24bit recording
I'm thinking about getting one. For one the XLRs have phantom power unlike the Zoom H6 supposedly and a bunch of other reasons.

There's one question I have of anyone has one or has used one, if this is plugged into a computer's USB port, can you use it as for of an external sound card?

The reason I ask is because I see much cheaper Tascam recorders that jazz that up that its got a driver and goodie. The manual hasn't been encouraging.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
I'm thinking about getting one. For one the XLRs have phantom power unlike the Zoom H6 supposedly and a bunch of other reasons.
Zoom H6 has phantom power on the build-in inputs! However, you can buy extra module to add 2 more xlr inputs but those will not have phantom power.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

The Tascam DR100mkIII does not function as an audio interface when plugged into a computer. It's an excellent recorder though. Good battery life and preamps w phantom power. I'd like a MixPre 3 or 6 but this will do for now.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot Falcon1 & mandodon, I'm really agonizing over this. The Tascam and H6 each have unique features unthinkable to be without. For instance the onboard lithium battery to have juice for long stretches is Tascam. I beta test for someone who makes great dithering and the 192kHz is desirable just to dither every possible source i can record. The Zooms can still be powered from the USB jack and I'd be happy to mount a big lithium battery under it. The Zooms are usually prone to those battery access doors screwed up.

Also big changer: the H6 was grey until this year where we have the same look but a blacker distinct model called 2020 Black. So it went from $300 for an H6 including that MS round mic and a furry and rechargeable batteries, and now it's $300 just for the recorder.
A lot of Amazon reviewers said to make sure you put insurance on all of the units
H6 has cool meters but everyone said you can't see them if you're pointing the mic at yourself like recording guitar. So that's a place I could save a buck.
The H4n pro looks like something I'd buy except no knob. I needs me knob to set level quickly without menus

For either of them the thought occurs, like the people whose USB jack got screwed up and Zoom India wouldn't honor the warranty, to get serious insurance.
I was wrong about no phantom power though, that's good on Zoom probably. Then H6 has bigger diaphragms apparently unless it's cosmetic.

Agonizing! Man I hope a solution makes itself known because it's probably leaning for the Zoom, but I wonder why the Black 2020 has no extra mic and goodies and is more expensive and no info anywhere what changed?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks a lot Falcon1 & mandodon, I'm really agonizing over this. The Tascam and H6 each have unique features unthinkable to be without. For instance the onboard lithium battery to have juice for long stretches is Tascam. I beta test for someone who makes great dithering and the 192kHz is desirable just to dither every possible source i can record. The Zooms can still be powered from the USB jack and I'd be happy to mount a big lithium battery under it. The Zooms are usually prone to those battery access doors screwed up.

Also big changer: the H6 was grey until this year where we have the same look but a blacker distinct model called 2020 Black. So it went from $300 for an H6 including that MS round mic and a furry and rechargeable batteries, and now it's $300 just for the recorder.
A lot of Amazon reviewers said to make sure you put insurance on all of the units
H6 has cool meters but everyone said you can't see them if you're pointing the mic at yourself like recording guitar. So that's a place I could save a buck.
The H4n pro looks like something I'd buy except no knob. I needs me knob to set level quickly without menus

For either of them the thought occurs, like the people whose USB jack got screwed up and Zoom India wouldn't honor the warranty, to get serious insurance.
I was wrong about no phantom power though, that's good on Zoom probably. Then H6 has bigger diaphragms apparently unless it's cosmetic.

Agonizing! Man I hope a solution makes itself known because it's probably leaning for the Zoom, but I wonder why the Black 2020 has no extra mic and goodies and is more expensive and no info anywhere what changed?
the old h6 came with both an xy and a ms stereo mic. the new one only comes with the xy mic.
most people seem to prefer the xy mic. i prefer the ms mic, although it is a bit noisier.
i really like the h6 and still use it, although i own a mixpre 3.
the batteries last a long time, much longer than the mixpre and it works with cheap powerbanks for hours.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The Zooms can still be powered from the USB jack
The Tascam DR100mk3 can also be powered from the USB jack and will simultaneously charge up the lithium battery. And it will run 12 hours off a power bank.

The internal mics are no slouch either.

It’s an underrated machine IMHO.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Price went up another $50 too for H6!

I don't expect anyone to watch these two, but it shows the quality of Zooms and call me crazy but I don't think any of them sound like I'd hope or expect.

This next one is a comparison review for H1, H2n, H5 & H6:

In conclusion, if only the Tascam had abilities as audio interface I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Is there any other shaver recorder that sounds better? Those videos scared me quite frankly, took me down a peg, made me sad and blue .
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
... i prefer the ms mic, although it is a bit noisier....

Price went up another $50 too for H6!

I don't expect anyone to watch these two, but it shows the quality of Zooms and call me crazy but other than Dirk's exactly-like-he-said-noisier-but-still-great-ms-mic I don't think any of them sound like I'd hope or expect.

This next one is a comparison review for H1, H2n, H5 & H6:

In conclusion, if only the Tascam had abilities as audio interface I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Is there any other shaver recorder that sounds better? Those videos scared me quite frankly, took me down a peg, made me sad and blue .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search