The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your spaced omni setup
Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
For solo piano I use a 20cm spacing with a pair of Gefell M221 omnis or Sennheiser MKH 20 toed slightly out.
Where along the piano would you typically locate your pair John: tail-end, central, parallel with hammers, other ?
Old 22nd February 2020
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Where along the piano would you typically locate your pair John: tail-end, central, parallel with hammers, other ?
I always start with - where would the audience be if this was being played live?

So - my normal starting position is about 2m back at about ear height to 2m high in front of the piano where the audience would be.

But I would vary this if needed depending on the room, the piano, the pianist and the works being played.

Where it sounds best to my ears is where I place the mics.
Old 29th February 2020
Lives for gear

I am interested in how many have taken three identical sets of great omni’s and tracked them narrow, medium, and large spacing with chamber music or solo piano in a great room? Have you then switched between them seamlessly on a great set of monitors that you know well?
Cameron
Old 29th February 2020
Lives for gear

For spot micing, I use AB 30-40cm just at the lip in the middle of the curve. I seem to be leaning toward the more narrow spacing these days, because it gives me a more localized solid image where I can picture the piano in a space rather than a super wide instrument spread all across the left/right stereo stage.

For a solo piano, I am usually more like 4-6 feet out, if the space is nice. I never get too far away because it is way easier to add a bit of reverb than to remove it if you were too far out. OTOH, in piano duo, I will more often use ORTF cardioid mains that can be 8-10 feet out from the piano - the piano becomes quite localized in the stereo image, which is just what I like to hear in any small ensemble recording.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i have a bit a different take: i shoot the room to get its fr and then decide on spacing of omni mains for maximum phase offset between them, to occur at the frequency which i want to dampen without using a filter - i guess one might call this some sort of 'scientific approach'...
Interesting approach! Can you give an example of a real life situation in the past?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G View Post
Interesting approach! Can you give an example of a real life situation in the past?
guess i could - if i'd get your question: example of what? and what do you mean by 'real life'?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search