The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rens Heijnis mic mods
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhoward View Post
Here is snippet of a test recording of a vocal octet using the rens 60V schoeps with MK2 omni caps.

I find them to be quieter, for sure, and I really enjoy the depth they convey. I can't wait to use them on solo piano and some forthcoming percussion releases of the music of John Cage.

-----

Also, I want to say that I appreciate Bruce's last comments. He often reminds us of things like this, without sounding condescending.
You don't have the umodified bodies left ? For a direct comparison ? Otherwise it does not say much ... It is difficult to remember what we heard 10 seconds ago, not speaking of 2 weeks ago

To record the same thing with original Schoeps vs modified Schoeps. That would tell something direct ...

Otherwise everything one paid 900 EUR extra must naturally sound better

I just wonder about the mentioned extra "clarity" - does it concern the high frequencies (that Schoeps already have more than enough and I would not wish more) or the general amount of details, 3D etc ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

found a comp on Rens' site for the separate-active-power-supply mod

3rd paragraph under "audio samples"
http://www.sonodore.com/Schoeps.htm
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

On that page you can hear my recording of "The Bluebird."
Old 4 weeks ago
I sent my old ORTF Schoeps CMMT30F’s to Rens a few weeks back for a mod, excited to try them out once I’m done with holiday traveling. Opted for the phantom-powered circuit instead of anything exotic, for reasons of practicality in the sort of remote and fast-paced recording situations I’m often finding myself in these days. Will report back!
Old 3 weeks ago
A couple of months ago, Rens modded one of my 4006 pairs into 60V. The improvement is stunning. I have tested on solo piano, string orchestra, sax concerto, choir, soloists and orchestra, trombone quartet, choir a cappella, organ solo, and soon on string trio... The main difference for me is, even though I mostly set up some spot mics during sessions, I almost always prefer the main AB pair only, and find that sweet spot much more easily.
I hope to post some samples soon, but I could not be more happy with this mod. Worth every euro, and worth the (very small) extra hassle of having the remote power supply for the 60V.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

For those interested in Rens's upgrades, I'm selling two of his pre-amps: one, is the MPB-502 6-pin 15V version, and the other, a P48 pre-amp.

Both are battery powered and in pristine condition. Selling only because Rens built me a very small pre-amp for field recording, and I'm looking to pare down.

This is a change to get into Rens's house sound at a significant discount.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Hello tailspn,

Rens's mods to the Schoeps mics uses a better sounding circuit. Better parts and a better design, arrived at by listening.

No coloration whatever.

Ren's 60 volt mods to my Schoeps mics costs around $300 per mic. So the mod adds one third to the price of the mic.
Plush,
Did you have a chance to AB the 48v to the 60v? I'm not sure which to have done and not too keen on always needing a separate power supply.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Plush,
Did you have a chance to AB the 48v to the 60v? I'm not sure which to have done and not too keen on always needing a separate power supply.
Thank you for your question. If you are talking about a Rens 48 volt mod compared to a Rens 60 volt mod, then, no, I have not tried that. I don't have any Rens 48 volt modded microphones.

I have only Rens 60 volt mods on 6 Schoeps mic bodies and also Rens modded B&K 4006 omnis.

The difference between normal 48 volt Schoeps and Rens modified
(new circuitry) Schoeps is dramatic to my ears. Gone is the muddiness in the lower midrange, bass has much more detail with the Rens mods, treble is sweeter and sounds more extended in the high end.

As for the Bruel & Kjaer 4006 Rens modded mics, the exaggerated treble is gone, the bass is much more extended (and now transformerless by Rens), the microphone has a truly high resolution sound. B&K capsule always was outstanding.

The regular 48 volt non-modded Schoeps and Bruel & Kjaer (DPA) mics are good sounding for sure. One only hears their shortcomings when one compares to the Rens modded versions.

Make your move today!
Buy the Rens battery powered power supply / preamplifier today. The unit is known as the MPB-502.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Plush,
Hi Don,

I've got the 48v mod, and have ab'd against regular Schoeps. It is absolutely worth it for me. I just got another pair! Sorry it doesn't help with the 48 vs 60 question; for me the logistics of 60v don't make sense.

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post

As for the Bruel & Kjaer 4006 Rens modded mics, the exaggerated treble is gone, the bass is much more extended (and now transformerless by Rens), the microphone has a truly high resolution sound. B&K capsule always was outstanding.

How would you compare them to Schoeps MK2 ?
Old 1 week ago
One thing about the 48v mod. My modded Schoeps bodies no longer function with active cables/tubes between capsule and bodies.
May not be an issue for everyone, but it’s a deal-breaker for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
How would you compare them to Schoeps MK2 ?
Hello Ivo,

Rens modded 4006 retains the Bruel & Kjaer tendency to be a brighter sounding microphone than the super flat (super admired) MK2 capsule.

But gone is the high frequency ringing and the piercing treble of the B&K sound.

Rens's mods to the 4006 make it a much more admirable sound.

Even today DPA uses cheap and poorly designed electronics in their microphones. (per Rens) This is the main problem with their sound.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by avillalta View Post
One thing about the 48v mod. My modded Schoeps bodies no longer function with active cables/tubes between capsule and bodies.
That is good to know! Thanks for that. Did you find out why?
Old 1 week ago
4006's used a discontinued National jfet and a glass coupling capacitor. The cap is horrible. Any replacements that could fit would be an improvement.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
4006's used a discontinued National jfet and a glass coupling capacitor. The cap is horrible. Any replacements that could fit would be an improvement.
The 130 Volt versions have this cap only. The (non-modular) 4006 / 4006TL have a direct connection from the backplate to the NF5102 fet gate.
The NF5102 is a PF5102 in a metal can.
Attached Thumbnails
Rens Heijnis mic mods-6287c2de-5575-417a-8752-180558afffcc.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was not able to determine this limitation with the Schoeps GVC swivel joint, which is also an active accessory.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
I was not able to determine this limitation with the Schoeps GVC swivel joint, which is also an active accessory.
Perhaps it’s only my pair.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perhaps it’s only my pair.
Or perhaps your phantom power is not up to par. The Rens Heijnis 48V conversion needs better phantom power quality than the standard CMC.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Or perhaps your phantom power is not up to par. The Rens Heijnis 48V conversion needs better phantom power quality than the standard CMC.
perhaps. Though, I've tested them with all of my pre-amps. Grace, RME, Nagra, Sound Devices, Cooper. Hopefully for other customers of Rens, mine are an outlier.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
perhaps. Though, I've tested them with all of my pre-amps. Grace, RME, Nagra, Sound Devices, Cooper. Hopefully for other customers of Rens, mine are an outlier.
Well, I haven't been able to test with with active cables/tubes, so we won't know for sure yet.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

There are 4 connections in Schoeps CMC head arrangement. 1, signal. 2, ground. 3, polarization 60V. 4, 6V power supply for the active circuit of whatever you want to insert between the capsule and body.

If none of your active barrels works anymore after the mod most likely it is because the 6V power supply is missing.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
I don‘t think there is electronics in the GVC since it is a very short device and it is directly connected to the capsule.
So, the Rens modded CMCs should work with the GVC and attenuators, but not with the KC cables and RC extensions.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
[. . .] Next on the list is the players / instruments and their positioning in the room. [. . .]
Actually, I would have put players/instruments first. . .which further implies that my favorite quote from this thread is another Bruce Watson mention: 'you want to hear every bit of tone you can from Rachel Barton Pine's Guarneri “del Gesu”'.

Yea, that is exactly what I want!

Of course, my views [1] here don't begin to answer the OP's questions. Sorry.

I was most [indeed, very] grateful for David @ josephson replies. And I do wish that someone from Schoeps could/would also authoritatively add to the discussion. I have a matched pair of Schoeps CCM5 mics [among other products they make] with which I am exceedingly happy. . .can't imagine them being 25% better. Not arguing, I just don't know what that would sound like.

Ray H.

[1] For me - as a musician - the players and instruments are the most critical components. It is then incumbent upon the recordist to either mess it up or not. . .given the space and other constraints. Of course, a talented recordist adds tremendous value.

It doesn't work the other way around: Greatest space ever + mediocre players and instruments => No, that's not what I want.

Sure, at some point the room is the most critical. One can't capture much dynamic range in a vacuum. . .which, in a John Cage [Silence] sort of way, may 'sound better' than a number of alternatives. But only - for me - up to the point were one has some reasonable space. . .which is a pretty low bar, I think.

But then, my own personal preferences are often at variance from many of the excellent recordists here. . .particularly for solo or small ensembles. Likely a totally different sound. . .much closer and more intimate. . .than what I suspect most are after. I'm often wanting comparatively less of the room captured.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
^ sort of going back in history of this thread, but since you brought it up...

Yesterday I was thinking about an upcoming live audience recording that will involve good musicians and good directors who most likely have chosen a good recordist. But they've chosen an acoustically challenged venue and ought to know what they are going to get since all involved recorded there not many years ago.
Old 4 days ago
I had specifically bought a pair of CMC4s and had them 48v retrofitted by Rens. The improvement was welcomed, but the mic is now VERY sensitive to interference; EM/parasitic noise from Sonosax SX-R4+ and others, it picks up radio stations and GSM buzz. Also recently I got a pair of vintage MK6 capsules and they don't work well with the Rens circuit (but fine with my other CMC5s). Sadly the original internals are kept by Rens with the retrofit, which I found very frustrating since it was well past requesting them when I started to notice the problems. I basically don't trust them for critical projects.

Sorry to say, as I think the sound is great.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAsnan View Post
[. . .] Rens [. . .]
I suppose some of that aligns with David's comments. However, it doesn't sound like you had these expectations going in?

Did Rens confirm - assuming you subsequently spoke with him - that these are expected tradeoffs?

Thanks for the info,

Ray H.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sadly the original internals are kept by Rens with the retrofit
I requested a return of the intact innards from the TLM49's Rens modified for me, and there was no issue there.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post
I suppose some of that aligns with David's comments. However it doesn't sound like you had these expectations going in?

Did Rens confirm - assuming you subsequently spoke with him - that these are expected tradeoffs?
I certainly didn't expect it to be so severe. I did have an exchange with Rens, and his rationale was this:

"R:Hi Adam,

Yes that's the price you have to for a high quality sound.
I can completely "close" it for interference, but the sound sound quality will be bad.
Cables are very important with retrofitted microphones, so try different cables.
Most cables not not have a good screen..

Me:Ok, many thanks. Do you think these might have an influence on the interference that derives from the R4+?

R:Well probably, you have to try.
But some pre-amp's doesn't have a proper filtering.
Especially with a combination of digital equipment"
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
(...)
R:Cables are very important with retrofitted microphones, so try different cables.
Most cables not not have a good screen..

Me:Ok, many thanks. Do you think these might have an influence on the interference that derives from the R4+?

R:Well probably, you have to try.
But some pre-amp's doesn't have a proper filtering.
Especially with a combination of digital equipment"
thx a lot for providing clues to possible shortcomings of modded mics: enough to convince me NOT to follow this path!

with increasing amounts of rf traffic in many places and in situations with a multitude of mics in use, chasing down interference issues is not what i want or which i could explain to anyone else involved into productions!

Quote:
(...) "Especially with a combination of digital equipment
not sure how to interpret this...
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
I requested a return of the intact innards from the TLM49's Rens modified for me, and there was no issue there.
Yeah, it's my fault - I didn't think to ask, but I also didn't expect to need/want them again, and by the time I realised this, I guess it was too late. I know if I had them, I would re-implement them. But anyway, every mod/repair I have ever had carried out has provided the spare/dud part as a matter of course. I think it's strange to not have had a perfectly working Schoeps PCB returned as part of service, given that only the screwing 'neck' is used.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search