The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tony Faulkner tries out some new Rode prototypes
Old 24th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Yes, the CM3/4 is more of a generalist mic, and a different price point to all competitors in the class...while the TF5 is conforming to Tony Faulkner's design brief ie non-spitty high frequencies, somewhat wider or 'leaky' cardioid pattern, flattering and neutral in the low end, rather than clinical...etc etc.

The harp miking exercise cited by Glen Bucci above could have substituted the CM4 for the TF5, for a very similar result (and a huge cost saving)...given the limitations of that recording space
That recording of the harp was pretty terrible. I've never heard a recorded harp sound like that.
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear

Don't care about the brand or the name...

I'm just happy to use tools that give me what I want to hear.

For my classical recordings I have a setup with really high cost microphones, but my taste is happy with CM-3 as spots for woodwinds...

And if I find a Chinese microphone that gives me what I'm looking for, it's ok.

I don't know what is the quality of the TF series.. But I'm always surprised by "the name on it" or "these men use it"... Maybe if you want to sound like these men, buy the same trousers also...

Or do your artistic job and find yourself what are the best tools to work with...

Fred.
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
For my classical recordings I have a setup with really high cost microphones, but my taste is happy with CM-3 as spots for woodwinds...

Fred.
Same here, the CM-3 works great for spots. I have 2 pairs, but one of them has slightly higher self noise. Which is not usually a problem for spots.
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher_lover View Post
That recording of the harp was pretty terrible. I've never heard a recorded harp sound like that.
Strange, as that is actually how that kind of harp sounds in a very live room.

The recording is quite ok, considering the pair is at least half a metre too far (in that room, also given the noise) and on the wrong side of the instrument (at least 45 degrees off).

I cannot detect a lot of nastyness, so this seems like a good test. Also, the recording is too distant, and the room still sounds ok, so off axis the mics must be quite ok as well.
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

The microphone built into your phone can do far better than that. Clearly, the problem is not with the microphone. It is with the people who does not know how to use it.
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Addict

Myself I can't wait to get my mitts on a pair to torture for a while. It seems to be aiming at the turf of the Schoeps mk-21 more than than small cap Neumanns. I find the 184s too bright for most location classical work. I know Tony is a big fan of the Schoeps range and I wonder if they have a fig 8 capsule in the works for this line... This mic sounds like a somewhat cheaper alternative to the mk-21 while sharing many of the same charms.

Of course having concerts to record again would help. I waited 40 years for a new hall, had one season in it and now??? Given that a decent singer can project droplets over 10 meters the future of post Covid19 concert music is a brutal mystery! Sigh... time to get my streaming chops together.

Greg Heimbecker
Chief Engineer
University of Northern Colorado
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear