The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tony Faulkner tries out some new Rode prototypes
Old 10th March 2019
  #211
Lives for gear
 
johnsound's Avatar
You'll have to wait, I'm afraid, as it's not mine to show. But soon, I'm sure.

Regards,

John
Old 10th March 2019
  #212
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
I was there. Both tfm mics are real. Very real. Tfm50 and cardioid capsule schoeps-alike tfm
Old 10th March 2019
  #213
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhoneyball View Post
I was there. Both tfm mics are real. Very real. Tfm50 and cardioid capsule schoeps-alike tfm
Also a new cardioid mic in the shape and size of a Schoeps? So it is totally different from the NT-5? Exciting!
Old 10th March 2019
  #214
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G View Post
Also a new cardioid mic in the shape and size of a Schoeps? So it is totally different from the NT-5? Exciting!
Just checked with tony who is stood next to me at ips event in beaconsfield

Called tf5
Old 10th March 2019
  #215
Lives for gear
Soon there's going to be a line of TF named and endorsed Rode mics....don't leave home for any remote gig without the complete set ....wonder if they'll have his signature etched or silk-screened on the black surface
Old 10th March 2019
  #216
Lives for gear
 
JCBigler's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhoneyball View Post
I was there. Both tfm mics are real. Very real. Tfm50 and cardioid capsule schoeps-alike tfm
Did it look like this?

Old 10th March 2019
  #217
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Smile

Tony had it with him at the ABC of AoIP weekend (organised by the Institute of Professiopnal Sound) this weekend - unfortunately I did not get a chance to see it.
Old 11th March 2019
  #218
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Soon there's going to be a line of TF named and endorsed Rode mics....don't leave home for any remote gig without the complete set ....wonder if they'll have his signature etched or silk-screened on the black surface
Still okay I suppose. Your career is really only over once you have your own line of Waves plugins.
Old 11th March 2019
  #219
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Still okay I suppose. Your career is really only over once you have your own line of Waves plugins.
Absolutely, I have no problem with this level of celebrity endorsement...he's hardly a household name yet, despite his fame in these circles. I'm kinda surprised we haven't seen Plush's name engraved on any high end gear yet (Nagra, Stellavox etc) but maybe modesty prevents him....or he's coyly waiting to be asked ?
Old 11th March 2019
  #220
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Did it look like this?
That description of the new NT5 makes me wonder if they haven't enlarged the capsule diameter ? The original's outer casing diameter must be the typical SD mic dimension of 21-23mm, making the capsule smaller than that. 25mm is the equivalent of the '1/2" description .....which would make for a wider casing altogether.

Or are Rode just being casual, sloppy and generic in calling the typical SD mic "half-inch" ? We shall soon find out, no doubt.... Also, the one described here is cardioid....I trust they'll produce an omni capsule too ?
Old 11th March 2019
  #221
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Did it look like this?
Similarish, but I didnt get a good enough look to know for sure

I might have misunderstood the name and it is what you have shown, but im sure there will be news soon. Others saw it too, and maybe have a better take on it. I have soundfield/shoeps/royer sf24, dont have any rode yet. But the TFM50 could certainly tempt me, depending on price (of course). It is a thing of beauty.
Old 11th March 2019
  #222
RPC
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
That description of the new NT5 makes me wonder if they haven't enlarged the capsule diameter ? The original's outer casing diameter must be the typical SD mic dimension of 21-23mm, making the capsule smaller than that. 25mm is the equivalent of the '1/2" description .....which would make for a wider casing altogether.

Or are Rode just being casual, sloppy and generic in calling the typical SD mic "half-inch" ? We shall soon find out, no doubt.... Also, the one described here is cardioid....I trust they'll produce an omni capsule too ?
My guess is that it's an NT-5 with the TF-45C capsule they're using on the NT-SF1. (The capsule designation seems a dead giveaway...) Oh, and maybe the new output connector they were threatening when this whole exercise began? (BTW, I contacted Rode when the NT-SF1 came out and asked if the capsules were available separately - they said "no.")
Old 11th March 2019
  #223
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC View Post
My guess is that it's an NT-5 with the TF-45C capsule they're using on the NT-SF1. (The capsule designation seems a dead giveaway...) Oh, and maybe the new output connector they were threatening when this whole exercise began? (BTW, I contacted Rode when the NT-SF1 came out and asked if the capsules were available separately - they said "no.")
Maybe we'll come to appreciate (in time) that brittle plastic-looking Neutrik/Ethernet connector that's slated for the new NT-5..if it winds up banishing a whole lot of RF that might plague us in the future (or maybe it's already here...and the new connector will remove it for us ?)

However, I just see it as another set of necessary adapter tails to be bought or soldered up..it will be hard to shake the anachronistic belief that nothing but an XLR belongs in the rear of a mic

Non-interchangeable capsules to replace currently interchangeable ones... It desperately requires TF's engraved signature on the barrel, to offer some redemption for all these faux pas by Rode
Old 11th March 2019
  #224
RPC
Gear Addict
So let me put this out there...who's got an NT-SF1? Could you answer two questions?
1) Do the capsules unscrew? (Be gentle!)
2) If so, do they fit on an NT-5?
Old 11th March 2019
  #225
0VU
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
That description of the new NT5 makes me wonder if they haven't enlarged the capsule diameter ? The original's outer casing diameter must be the typical SD mic dimension of 21-23mm, making the capsule smaller than that. 25mm is the equivalent of the '1/2" description .....which would make for a wider casing altogether.

Or are Rode just being casual, sloppy and generic in calling the typical SD mic "half-inch" ? We shall soon find out, no doubt.... Also, the one described here is cardioid....I trust they'll produce an omni capsule too ?
25mm is 0.4mm shy of an inch. Half an inch is 12.7mm.
Old 12th March 2019
  #226
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0VU View Post
25mm is 0.4mm shy of an inch. Half an inch is 12.7mm.
Of course you're right .....my bad (metrics) !
Old 25th October 2019
  #227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
The Rode Classic mic used good stuff, Wima FKP-2 film caps, Roederstein film resistors, a 5 star selected GE6072A tube and a Jensen output transformer. The design is a knock-off of the AKG C-12. I did help with that design after the NT-2.

Unfortunately, the capsule is the familiar 32 mm Chinese special with the 9k hz spike. Put a Tim Campbell C-12 capsule in the Classic and then you have a winner.
Hi,

I'm about to buy the Rode Classic II,

Can I PM you? I got a question to change the capsule.
Old 1 week ago
  #228
Well it looks like the Rode TF5 is out and is making a good impression. https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rode-tf-5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK1uS7fRk0s
Old 1 week ago
  #229
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Well it looks like the Rode TF5 is out and is making a good impression. https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rode-tf-5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK1uS7fRk0s
I don't know that we've yet heard the TF-5 demonstrated convincingly in this thread...the harp demo was recorded in a pretty unflattering space (maybe that's a strength of the mic, to tell us so ?), and here perhaps a little too close on a small grand piano:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=49nm9C-c_2U
Old 1 week ago
  #230
Lives for gear
 

I said this before and I will say it again; It is the Rode’s responsibility and interest to make some great sounding demo with some real resources behind it. All that are available on the net only serve the purpose of convincing the potential buyer not to buy their microphone. All the samples sound amateur and horrible, so far. If I were Rode, I would not have let any of that out. And if I were Tony, I would withdraw my name.
Old 1 week ago
  #231
Lives for gear
 

I said this before and I will say it again; It is the Rode’s responsibility and interest to make some great sounding demo with some real resources behind it. All that are available on the net only serve the purpose of convincing the potential buyer not to buy their microphone. All the samples sound amateur and horrible, so far. If I were Rode, I would not have let any of that out. And if I were Tony, I would withdraw my name.
Old 1 week ago
  #232
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
A laughable post.
Old 1 week ago
  #233
Anyone have a pic of the innards? That would tell "the rest of the story".
Old 1 week ago
  #234
Lives for gear
 

I am glad I made someone laugh.
Old 1 week ago
  #235
Quote:
If I were Rode, I would not have let any of that out. And if I were Tony, I would withdraw my name.
A good thing you are not Rode and you are definitely not Tony Faulkner. This content is not controlled by Rode. It is not up to them to remove it. Nor does any of it reflect poorly on Tony Faulkner. I agree the content is not good. Most of the demonstrations have been pretty poor quality. That harp video was entirely mono if anyone caught that, even though it was recorded with XY. The first samples I heard, however, were quite good compared to the Neumann KM184, so I am reserving judgement.
Old 1 week ago
  #236
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
A good thing you are not Rode and you are definitely not Tony Faulkner. This content is not controlled by Rode. It is not up to them to remove it. Nor does any of it reflect poorly on Tony Faulkner. I agree the content is not good. Most of the demonstrations have been pretty poor quality. That harp video was entirely mono if anyone caught that, even though it was recorded with XY. The first samples I heard, however, were quite good compared to the Neumann KM184, so I am reserving judgement.
Good points, and delving a little deeper into that harp video, it would seem that Rode supplied Curtis Judd (a hardware reviewer with a strong bias towards video capture...he professes to not have much specific music recording knowledge and experience, and in this particular situation it clearly shows !)

Judd mentions at one point that Rode supplied the mics unrequested by himself, so if Rode are simply aiming to broaden the potential application range, they chose the right guy...a video gear reviewer with substantial following and cred for fair and thorough product trials.

If Rode were aiming to market-position it as a specific classical music session/concert mic (not unreasonable, given the TF association ), they clearly chose the wrong reviewer in this case. I doubt Rode are that precious about their product however...a sale is sale, after all...and if Curtis Judd's approval and review-endorsement of the TF5 as a potential music video device translated to more sales, I doubt that Rode would be disappointed !

In that particular harp review application, the TF5 was probably overkill (a Rode M5 or even NT5 would have done the job, at a much lower cost !)...but it just shows that once a product is released to market, the mfr probably has less control over its adoption than we might care to imagine...even when, as in this case, their targeting of a reviewer was somewhat askew.

If the mic has failed to occupy its 'designated niche of appreciation' for large or small ensemble acoustic recording, it's perhaps down to folks like us not buying handfuls of them, and then showering them with the same sort of cult adoption kudos bestowed upon the CM3/CM4 ?

Very different price points, but still....we're holding back, waiting for 'someone else with heavy concert recording street cred' to bestow unreserved praise upon it. Maybe they already have, but we just ain't buying it ?
Old 1 week ago
  #237
Lives for gear
 
boojum's Avatar
If it were my mic and this was to be the debut review and video I would have gone to some lengths to 1) secure a damned good RE to review it and 2) make damned sure the recording was made in a good space under the best of conditions. To do otherwise would be counterproductive. This is not rocket surgery.
Old 1 week ago
  #238
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
If it were my mic and this was to be the debut review and video I would have gone to some lengths to 1) secure a damned good RE to review it and 2) make damned sure the recording was made in a good space under the best of conditions. To do otherwise would be counterproductive. This is not rocket surgery.
If I were a mfr, in any economic climate...not just the current shattered one...and I had the choice of spreading my product's sales across a variety of potential buyer niches, rather than just a single relatively restricted and curated one (even if the latter was the declared initial target, through TF's involvement, guidance and endorsement), I think I'd run with the more diverse, spread the love and risks, buyer base ?

To artificially curtail sales, by creating an air of a niche specialist product, has to be counterproductive. The mic's high purchase price points in that direction (ie it not being a generalist mic) already....not to forget that in today's scrambled/decimated usage landscape, there are likely to be more small-scale video studio music events being filmed, than 60 piece orchestral sessions and concerts !
Old 1 week ago
  #239
Lives for gear
 
didier.brest's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
If the mic has failed to occupy its 'designated niche of appreciation' for large or small ensemble acoustic recording, it's perhaps down to folks like us not buying handfuls of them, and then showering them with the same sort of cult adoption kudos bestowed upon the CM3/CM4 ?
The kudos bestowed upon the CM3/CM4 are motivated by their excellent value for money. European prices (20% VAT included):

2 CM4 270 €
KM 184 stereo set 1100 €
TF5 stereo set > 1400 €
Old 1 week ago
  #240
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
The kudos bestowed upon the CM3/CM4 are motivated by their excellent value for money. European prices (20% VAT included):

2 CM4 270 €
KM 184 stereo set 1100 €
TF5 stereo set > 1400 €
Yes, the CM3/4 is more of a generalist mic, and a different price point to all competitors in the class...while the TF5 is conforming to Tony Faulkner's design brief ie non-spitty high frequencies, somewhat wider or 'leaky' cardioid pattern, flattering and neutral in the low end, rather than clinical...etc etc.

The harp miking exercise cited by Glen Bucci above could have substituted the CM4 for the TF5, for a very similar result (and a huge cost saving)...given the limitations of that recording space
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump