The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tympany Spot Mic?
Old 20th December 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
Nothing (add gain) - Nothing (add gain) - Nothing (add gain) - Nothing (add gain) - WHOA TOO MUCH!
I always go back to Onno Scholtze's sage advice about spot mics...Turn them up till you can just hear them, then turn them back down 6 dB.

As always, YMMV.
All the best,
-mark
Show replies
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

I put PSP Micro Warmer on the TYMP spot, it thickened the sound and removed the immediateness.

Still had to get the ability to 'hear' the difference between having the level proper vs turning it down completely. It's quite tricky to discern between the proper level with a spot and still have it not be a noticeable 'paste job'.
It's basically when you listen to your mix and you 'don't' think that the TYMP is 'lacking' which allows you to move on. That can be as good as it gets.
Show replies

Last edited by emenelton; 20th December 2018 at 06:02 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Firmly in the spirit of either 1) perpetual curiosity or 2) never being satisfied or 3) needlessly revisiting the already-built wheel...I'm wondering if this thread really, fully covered the topic of where to place a tympani spot mic and which models work best in that role ?

My experience has been that if placed too high (above 6 feet) above the instrument it simply becomes a catch-all area mic for everything nearby, and it also fails to capture that 4k and above 'impact' pulse which defines the leading edge of the mallet attack....there's always enough of the rumbly, ill defined tubbiness picked up by main pair and outriggers ?

If there's one thing I want a tymp mic to deliver, it's the sense of impact of the mallet strike...which then gets followed by the rumbling swell of the front-row mics pickup of the instrument.

Yannick advocated for a very close placement (at drumskin height) while others recommend a much higher elevation. A recent video posting by Plush (in another thread) showed him placing mics for a piano recording...with a close pair of spaced cardioids aimed very close to, and a fraction lower than, the lip edge of the piano curve.

He explained that this was designed to mitigate the brightness and close-up presence of lid reflections and hammer impacts....and I wonder if a similar approach might work with the tympani, thus approaching Yannick's suggested location. This would have the added bonus of avoiding the 'catch-all' nature of a significantly elevated mic above the drumskin.

Any thoughts or experiences with the large-ensemble (wind band or string symphony) tymp miking conundrum, which might move this subject ahead from where it was left a few years ago ?
Show replies
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I use a pair of KM184s, around 1m50 over the skins and a super low cut to only keep the impact of the mallet attack.
Show replies
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
I use a pair of KM184s, around 1m50 over the skins and a super low cut to only keep the impact of the mallet attack.
Thanks Fred .....so that would put the mics not far above the player's head , and presumably pointing down at the centres of each drum's skins. So you're not picking up much leakage of nearby instruments, brass etc...due to the lowish height ?
Show replies
📝 Reply