The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prince at halftime
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Talking Prince at halftime

Awesome talent, great show. What a pro, out in the rain. Too bad you couldn't hear the bass or drums.

Also, what's with the synch on all this? Is it just my Time/Warner feed? The audio is way out of synch with the picture and the relative volumes of commercials, the game, etc are all over the map. Anybody else getting this?

-R
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

prince is so awesome!
i have to go see him live sometime....
he's a hero and such a force to be reckoned with!

cheers.
~j.d.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Nut

incredible half time show - amazing unique talent - brilliant
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

that was amazing!
Old 5th February 2007
A33
Gear Addict

Strange the synch seemed fine here in the UK
We lost his guitar at the end of purple rain though

Great show
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Yeah he owned it! The gtr was probably pushed back by the sing-along audience mics at the end. Much more pro than any Jackson/Timberlake silliness
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

he may be short....but that dude knows how to take a stage.

great strat tone as well.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Seemed like it was good- but damn the mix I got on Sky Sports (UK) was like someone had a console on demo mode! Things in and out all over the shop.
The sync has been out a few times I noticed earlier too.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Awesome talent, great show. What a pro, out in the rain. Too bad you couldn't hear the bass or drums.
Yeah terrible mix!!! Anyone have any idea what kind of amp Prince plays? Guitar was way too loud, but at least it sounded phat.

I guess the Foo Fighters did a bad cover of his song, so he paid them back with an equally bad version of one of their songs.

Did anyone catch the big white/black keyboard on the top tier, my friend thinks it's a new Rhodes? I never got a good full shot of it.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineEars View Post
Yeah terrible mix!!! Anyone have any idea what kind of amp Prince plays? Guitar was way too loud, but at least it sounded phat.

I guess the Foo Fighters did a bad cover of his song, so he paid them back with an equally bad version of one of their songs.

Did anyone catch the big white/black keyboard on the top tier, my friend thinks it's a new Rhodes? I never got a good full shot of it.
Quit smokin crack n get a grip. Top notch playing and production. I've been A1-A2 on a couple of NFL halftime shows and it ain't pretty. And in the rain??? Kudos all the way around.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Nut

Does anyone remember the set list?
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornson View Post
Quit smokin crack n get a grip. Top notch playing and production. I've been A1-A2 on a couple of NFL halftime shows and it ain't pretty. And in the rain??? Kudos all the way around.
Have to agree, with all the rain and who knows what else (synching with a marching brass band fer cry'n out loud!) it doesn't get much better than this. And the way he doesn't waste a beat, hitting his marks, engaging the crowd ... Wow!

I have nothing but respect for what he brings to the party.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
I thought the playing was pretty good too, but that has nothing to do with the dry audio mixer in the remote truck. That mix was all lead vocal and guitar. It sounded like a tap off of Prince's monitor mix.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDaddyO View Post
Have to agree, with all the rain and who knows what else (synching with a marching brass band fer cry'n out loud!) it doesn't get much better than this. And the way he doesn't waste a beat, hitting his marks, engaging the crowd ... Wow!

I have nothing but respect for what he brings to the party.
He was late getting back to his mic once.heh

I thought everything was cool except the Foo Fighters thing. Interesting groove on that one but I think it lost something in the translation due to the lack of bass and drums, at least on my TV anyway.
Old 5th February 2007
Great show ... only the vocal and parts of his gtr were live IMO.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought the playing was pretty good too, but that has nothing to do with the dry audio mixer in the remote truck. That mix was all lead vocal and guitar. It sounded like a tap off of Prince's monitor mix.
You never know what might have been crapping out in the rain. ANd marching band sounded awesome doing the synth parts.

My 21 year old daughter and I seldom agree on anything, but our jaws were both dropping and frankly we were moved.

The playing was way more than pretty good. Prince has that same offhand relationship to the guitar that Hendrix had. Pure gold.

-R
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tough, tough venue. Quick/mobile setup--outdoor stadium--rain (not to mention several million people watching you in real time).

His Tele sounded monsterous. Brian May monsterous. I was compelled to closely watch his fingers because his guitar tone/playing sounded so good that I thought the music may be prerecorded (fingers don't lie--it was live). When he switched to his Prince picasso whatever-it-is guitar at the end, both his playing and his tone went south.

His vocals were just mediocre--but I never considered Prince that good of a singer. No doubt, he sounded infinitely better than the Stones....in every respect.

Laser
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
I think the dancers were live.

On stiletto heels in the rain no less.

If the rhythm section wasn't live we would have heard it.

-R
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's right.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
I thought so too, which is even worse that you couldn't hear the drums and bass.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
His Tele sounded monsterous.
Yeah, but WTF happened during the solo for "Purple Rain?" Sounded like he was playing a Floyd Rose with broken string. Ackkkk! My spine!
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Nut

Anyone know what mic he was using?
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARayGun View Post
Does anyone remember the set list?
We Will Rock You
Let's Go Crazy
Baby I'm A Star
Proud Mary
All Along The Watch Tower
The Best
Purple Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
The playing was way more than pretty good
OK, yeah he rip $*%* on guitar, upon further review on the TiVo replay.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
I thought it was a neko gs...
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
If that! But yeah, I think it's close to the top of Super Bowl halftime music.

I think U2 would still be my pick as #1, tho I've missed a bunch of Super Bowls.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Agreed. Stellar performance, and I'm not surprised. I knew that dude was gonna bring it, had been thinking it since I heard he was scheduled to perform. Prince doesn't f*ck around.

thumbsup
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Guru

He rocked..
no sync probs here.
drums and bass were low..
but it sure was nice to hear him rock the guitar a bit.
was that Sheila back on the kit agian?
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed. I doff my hat to all involved, they did a really good job. Prince is the shiznit!

Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillz24 View Post
Anyone know what mic he was using?
A custom Sennheiser MD-431.

The keyboards were Open Labs Gen3 MiKo and NeKo.

I wish I knew what kind amp he used, I know he use to use Mesas.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

man this is why you should NEVER post a demo to gearslutz for analysis.

his vocals were mediocre?

his guitar tone sucked?

wow...

prince is the best... the top performer out there right now.

i loved it when the mic stand was wobbling around a little bit... who has the confidence to do that in the rain in front of millions and millions?

only question to ask... was the call to play "purple rain" an audible?

(on another note... grossman's gotta go...)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search