The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice on SD condesners required
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Talking Advice on SD condesners required

I am in the market for a pair of small diaphragm condensers.

I already have a pair of vintage C451s with CK1 capsule as well as the new DPA 4092 omnis.

I can get Josephsons for about 1000 EUR and Shoeps CMC + MK4Vs for around 1650 EUR.

Are the Shoeps mics to be considered an overall better mic or does it again depend on the situation ?

Any regular users ?
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter View Post

I already have a pair of vintage C451s with CK1 capsule as well as the new DPA 4092 omnis.

I can get Josephsons for about 1000 EUR and Shoeps CMC + MK4Vs for around 1650 EUR.

Are the Shoeps mics to be considered an overall better mic or does it again depend on the situation ?

Any regular users ?
Personally I love the Josephson's. I use them all over the place and they have never let me down. There great on high-hats, as overheads, and even in live situations on instruments (used them personally as a percussion and guitar mics). I enjoy the top end they have that is bright, yet not harsh.

I was also surprised at the bottom end they had when I used them as a percussion overhead mic. This percussion player had a combination of various drums and copper pots that he played with thimbles. [It was this gipsy jazz group who opened for a pop John Mayer (when he used to be poppy and play for the girls) style of band. They were so good the mostly 19-20 year old girl crowd stood there in amazement.] I had spot mic'd all of the drums because I wanted to capture the bottom end and figured the mono C42 overhead wouldn’t do it. I ended up not needed any of the spot mics. The mono C42 captured everything. So I muted all of the other percussion channels and had one of the best percussions sounds I have ever had.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Any regular users ?
I don't know the Josephsons, but I do know the schoeps well, and they are an extremely 'musical' microphone. tough to beat.

Old 25th January 2007
Gear Guru

Since you're in europe, I'd also suggest that you put Gefell 692/M70's on your list to check out.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

i've owned pairs of schoeps cmc64s, and while i liked them as a main pair out front, i found them to be too boomy for most close micing in the studio. my two favorite pairs of SD condensers these days are the DPA 4011s, and the akg c481s.
Old 19th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Any other opinions ?
Old 19th February 2007
Lives for gear

As far the cardioid is concerned, Schoeps MK4V sound somehow better than MK4. It would be difficult to find something more musical and universal than a pair of Schoeps MK21 (wide cardioid). MK2 is very nice flat omni.
Once I did a direct comparison Schoeps vs DPA (4006, 4011)) and I invariably found Schoeps to be more pleasant and "musical" sounding to my ears, while DPA sounded a bit "colder", too "linear" ...

Few times I tried to improve and upgrade my microphone collection by testing and comparing various mics, but so far did not find any microphone that would be worth to keep besides Schoeps
Old 20th February 2007
Dot
Lives for gear

Quote:

It depends on the situation. We're in the dark about what you're doing. So give us some info on what you're wanting in a new pair of mics. What are you mostly recording, and what applications do you have?
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm doing mostly funk and jazz. I primarily need them for drum overheads although versatility is important given the fact I'm a smaller studio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search