The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tascam 48 at NAMM
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Talking Tascam 48 at NAMM

Well Tascam actually had a "working" X-48 at NAMM this year. It wasn't connected to anything so you couldn't hear it, but when you hit play all 48 meters indicated level and the mix engine seemed to work. It was running at 48k but they swore it would record all 48 trks at 96k etc etc.

The build was a tad cheesy the switches felt kinda loose, and since it wasn't hooked up to anything I couldn't verify that you could record a full 48 to an external firewire drive as cliamed.

I was told it will be available in March and that the version 2 software will upadte a number of things like a full meter screen etc.

Maybe its actually true this time.
Old 21st January 2007
Super Moderator

Wow, freaking March 2007...

Someone on this board mentioned they were getting a bunch of them (shipping) on January 19th, 2007.

Oh well, I guess it's gonna be May 2007 after all. heh

That's exactly years from the month I ordered them.

If June passes and they're still not available, I believe it's RADAR and/or Genex time once and for all!
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Wow, freaking March 2007...

Someone on this board mentioned they were getting a bunch of them (shipping) on January 19th, 2007.
Doubt that happened. The Tasacam guy indicated nothing had shipped yet.

How long ago did you order yours?
Old 23rd January 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrplace View Post
Doubt that happened. The Tasacam guy indicated nothing had shipped yet.

How long ago did you order yours?
I order two of them May 25th, 2005...

Hey, on May 25th that will only be 17520 hours (give or take a few hours depending on when I placed the order) since I ordered them.
Old 27th March 2007
Super Moderator

Mark,

It's not May 2007 yet and my Tascam rep sold me my two X48s are shipping this week.

I cannot wait -- I'm looking forward to the serious testing we're going to do to these units.
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Mark,

It's not May 2007 yet and my Tascam rep sold me my two X48s are shipping this week.

I cannot wait -- I'm looking forward to the serious testing we're going to do to these units.
Yeah my dealer says they'll be available this week. I plan on getting and seeikng what it can do. Now if it only had room for a MADI card......
Old 30th March 2007
We've had the beta machine here for the past couple of weeks.
It has no option boards, so it is TDIF only as of now, but we've been recording the Boston Symphony with no issues to speak of yet.
It's really a windows computer disguised as a hardware recorder.
We needed to put an extra drive in it and had to use the keyboard and mouse get behind the facade and select the drive to record.
I'll post more when we get the actual production unit they promise for next week.
All the best,
Mark

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search