The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vocalist must record with guitar; question for Remoteness
Old 18th January 2007
Question Vocalist must record with guitar; question for Remoteness

Hello,

Here's a question for Steve (who would definitely know) and others who have experience.

I'm going to be recording a vocalist as part of a band. This vocalist has the maximum impact with his vocals when he plays the guitar, even though the guitar may need to be redone afterwards. So he needs to record with a guitar in his hands, but I need to minimize the bleed from the guitar to the vocal. I intend to use cardioid pattern mics on both (or might even DI the guitar instead to eliminate bleed from the vocals to the guitar, because even with the redone track, he needs to sing while playing the guitar). Any tips? Is there a particular technique of miking or is there a particularly good mic (which won't completely blow the budget, ideally) for this sort of work?

I have to imagine this question has been asked before, but my cursory search didn't turn up anything. If there are threads, please feel free to point me
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Not steve, but my $0.02....

Acoustic or electric guitar? Best with electric guitar & close-cup headphones. Make sure the monitor volume in the cans is low, and the mic will have minimal guitar bleed if you're using a DI. Or, remote & enclose the amp...

using a DI'd guitar track is easy, while hiding a crappy guitar track that is blended & comp'd in with the main/lead vocal track might be tricky. I hope he does not have to keep playing guitar to do vocal doubles, harmony, and BG vox tracks. Good luck!
Old 19th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen View Post
Acoustic or electric guitar? Best with electric guitar & close-cup headphones.
Should have stated -- acoustic for sure! Electric into DI would have been too easy .
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

make him get a good take of both at the same time...
ok, well that's in an ideal world. otherwise i don't know what to tell you-- i wonder if anyone has tried putting some kind of baffle between vocal and guitar mics although i could see this causing as many problems as it might solve. wish i had something more constructive to say, but good luck.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, make him wear one of those funnel things that dogs have to wear so that they don't scratch their head. Line the inside with 702 insulation for absorption.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Fig-8 or hypercardioid mic with nulls towards guitar. And try to get rid of room tone: baffling and absorption.
I have experienced the Beyer M260 to be very good at isolating a sax on a narrow stage in a big band. Should work out nicely with vocals and guitar, especially as it was designed as a live vocal mic.
Old 19th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkautzsch View Post
Fig-8 or hypercardioid mic with nulls towards guitar. And try to get rid of room tone: baffling and absorption.
I have experienced the Beyer M260 to be very good at isolating a sax on a narrow stage in a big band. Should work out nicely with vocals and guitar, especially as it was designed as a live vocal mic.
Good advice. The front faces the vocalist, the back into a baffle. So face the mic "horizontally"? Thanks.
Old 19th January 2007
Super Moderator

Thanks for covering my back folks – There are some really good answers already.

Yes, the baffle idea is a good one. I’ve used Popper Stoppers with cardboard and foam for this nifty little trick. All you have to do is attach the Popper Stopper to the mic stand and angle it so it’s in between the vocal mic and the AGTR. I’ve used this technique on a number of instruments and situations. It works very well for me.

Here's a picture of a modified Popper Stopper use to help isolate the drums from the upright bass mic. This really helped me get a better sound on the bass and it can work for you with AGTR / vocalist combo you're recording.
Attached Thumbnails
Vocalist must record with guitar; question for Remoteness-stevesmicrogobo.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search