The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is Octava MK012 a good mic?
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Nut

Talking Is Octava MK012 a good mic?

I keep hearing that an Octava MK012 is a great mic. Referred to in some circles as 'best bang for the buck' in the industry. Some have suggested that it is an excellent cheap alternative for interior location dialogue, as well as instrumental studio use.

Really don't know much about these Russian offerings but, part of me says for $179. .....can't be.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Chaser View Post
I keep hearing that an Octava MK012 is a great mic. Referred to in some circles as 'best bang for the buck' in the industry. Some have suggested that it is an excellent cheap alternative for interior location dialogue, as well as instrumental studio use.

Really don't know much about these Russian offerings but, part of me says for $179. .....can't be.
Just as you stated, for 179 bux it's a great mic! One of my favorite under $600 microphones. Is it great compared to a DPA 4006? No. But that doesn't mean you can't make beautiful recordings with them. I have a pair with all the different patterns and use them constantly as spot and accent mics.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Guru

One of my least favorite condenser microphones. I hate the midrange reproduction on it.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Chaser View Post

I picked up a pair for $100 each. I love them for drum overheads. I have tried them on acoustic guitar and have not liked them.

What is your application?
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Just be sure to get the Russian original -- there is a Chinese fake sold. Check here:
http://www.oktavausa.com/HHT-MK012.htm

Gunnar
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

The first real mics that I owned were a pair of 012s. I had used "better" mics (AKG/Neumann/Sennheiser etc.) mics in school and on the job, so I knew what good mics were supposed to sound like, but I couldn't afford anything more high-end than the Oktavas. Even though I do now own more expensive and highly-regarded microphones, I still use my 012s regularly (besides the "first love" sentimentality I feel towards them.) I think the reason they have a "you love them or you hate them" reputation is because Oktava's quality control is unfortunately not very good. (And this was the problem before the fake Chinese knockoffs started appearing.) Buying from a reputable dealer (like The Sound Room) is recommended. You won't pay $100 for a mic from them, but you will get a very nice-sounding small diaphragm condenser. I have used them as distant mics for orchestra, chamber music, and wind ensemble, as drum overheads, and as close mics on piano, acoustic guitar, sitar, percussion, and violin. I don't know that they would have been my first choice in any of those situations, but they certainly did the job in all of them. If you're used to the typical bright sound of many modern condensers, than the Oktavas may dissappoint you - they are somewhat dark.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Guru

My Oktavas MK-02s must be total bastards. I bought 4 when Guitar Center was selling them TWO for $99. According to the website mine are a little of both. No serial numbers, but they were probably manufactured before 2002. Hell, I bought them in 2003. But I have white screws, not black ones. They came with Russian language documents I still have. The fake ones come with no docs. It’s labeled MK-012, not MC-012. Was supplied with -10 pad and has metal holder. But the bonding area isn’t dimpled. Silver contact pin, not cooper. Plus my case looks like the one in the Russian picture, except it’s black not light-grey

So more evidence indicates mine are original Russian models and not Chinese copies. But who knows? I like them. They aren’t my first “go to” mics. I have some pretty good mics. But they’re great to have in a pinch or when I don’t want to haul out my better ones, for whatever reason, or when I just need more condensers.

I like them enough to keep them and be glad I bought them. Four for $200! You can’t beat that with a stick!
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Nut

best bang for the buck? They are ok but for the same price you can buy a akg c451e +ck1 capsule they always seem to leave my octavas jobless!
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Guru

The ones I had were from the Sound Room.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

I have the russian ones and I never really used them cause I always had better around. Like KM184s, C451s, AT4051s etc.....BUT I got the red capsules for them and Now I use them all the time. As overheads or room mics. Last session was the oktava/red combo into a portico pre (with SILK on!!! =) and it was very nice! Great low end and nice, not too bright cymbals.

Last edited by by-tor; 18th January 2007 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Does doing the dorsey mod fix any "quality control" issues? I dorsey modded both of mine but am curious if they still arn't at their full potential.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by projuice View Post
best bang for the buck? They are ok but for the same price you can buy a akg c451e +ck1 capsule they always seem to leave my octavas jobless!
Where the heck can you find a deal like that?

I'll take four, please.

- Jim
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by by-tor View Post
I have the russian ones and I never really used them cause I always had better around. Like KM184s, C451s, AT4051s etc.....BUT I got the red capsules for them and Now I use them all the time. As overheads or room mics. Last session was the oktava/red combo into a portico pre (with SILK on!!! =) and it was very nice! Great low end and nice, not too bright cymbals.
Would you mind giving a quick review of the sound of the Red MKO12 replacement capsule?

Thanks,

- Jim
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Would you mind giving a quick review of the sound of the Red MKO12 replacement capsule?

Thanks,

- Jim
Yeah. I am gonna sit down and listen to/mix the tracks and I will drop my opinions then. But so far.....thumbsup

I need to try them on vox next.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Where the heck can you find a deal like that?

I'll take four, please.

- Jim
Hhehehhe I bought a pair for 300 euros! on a dutch site that somthing like ebay but different I guess cheaper
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
One of my least favorite condenser microphones. I hate the midrange reproduction on it.
The Dorsey mod will take care of that problem for you. That's its biggest benefit - cleaning up that grainy midrange with a better FET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakromm View Post
Does doing the dorsey mod fix any "quality control" issues?
Well, it doesn't touch the capsule, so obviously it can't correct any issues there. But it does replace several capacitors and resistors that are troublesome. The original capacitors tend to leak. And sometimes the Russion factory substitutes some "unusual" values for some of these parts, so Scott's mod will standardize them.

Henryrobinett, yours are certainly russian made. The Chinese fakes didn't come along until later.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliland View Post
Henryrobinett, yours are certainly russian made. The Chinese fakes didn't come along until later.
Yay!!!! And I got 4 of them for $200!!!!!
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I keep hearing that an Octava MK012 is a great mic.
Difficult to say seeing as there seems to be so much variation in quality and so many fakes doing the rounds.

I had one, it was definitely a Russian one, it was okay. When I say okay I mean that I would never have used it on anything critical or as part of a main pair (so nothing at all really!). It might have been okay as a mic for SFX recording or something. I think I got an okay sound out of it when recording a small shaker as well...

Anyway, I shot it out against some tastier (and admittedly, more expensive) mics and it walked off in shame. Compared to those boys it was, frankly, bollocks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search