The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
First jazz quartet recording, opinions needed
Old 17th January 2007
Here for the gear
Talking First jazz quartet recording, opinions needed

Hi remote people :-)

I'm going to record a friend's gig very soon, with two new interfaces and some mics I haven't even received yet. I'm not gonna have much chance to try different combinations and evaluate before this happens so I'd like some suggestions. I figured I'd list the equipment and options and see what people have to say.

I have two interfaces, both Metric Halo: one 2882 and one ULN-2. I also have a Digimax for extra channels if needed but am hoping I can get by with the ten M-H channels. I'm planning on clocking the ULN-2 to the 2882 and sending it's two mic pres into the 2882 via AES/EBU.

I have a Sebatron vmp-2000 (two channel pre, tube based), plan on using 2 of the 2882's analog line inputs for that.

There's no bass player; the keyboard guy kicks left-hand bass and I am told he can split his outputs to give me piano and bass separately, so there go the line inputs (according to my plan so far).

So basically: I have two ULN-2 pres, two Sebatron tube pres and 4 2882 pres for alto sax, female vox and a traditional jazz drumkit setup (sticks & brushes, probably).

Mics I have available for this:

NT 5 pair (SD)

ML 603 pair (SD)

AT AE5400 pair (LD handheld)

Apex 205 ribbons pair, modded by Michael Joly

Oktava 219 LD pair, also modded by Joly

GT AM 61 (LD, cardioid, tube)

ADK A-48 (LD, multi pattern, tube)

GT AM 52 (LD, multi pattern)

What mics on what, through what? Anyone care to take a stab?

Thinks, George
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I'll take a stab.

Vocal, ADK A-48
Sax, Apex 205
Drum overhead, NT 5 pair
Kick, GT AM 52
Keys, as stated

Steve Remote, has a thread devoted to virtual gobos. It is an excellent thread on mic placement and how to keep microphones focused at the instrument they are placed with. Steve has great advise on live jazz recordings.

I record jazz quartets. The least and best mics you can use the better. Embrace the bleeding and really get to know how to place mics that feed off each other.

If you take the time to research Steves post you will learn more then most books can offer.

Let me know how you made out.

Cheers
-jim
Old 18th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Always good to try your options. I changed mic set up already, between a two night gig. Personally I would choose this rig because I have come to love the sound of drums with ribbon mics. Something I learned from Steve Remote.

Use only if the vocalist can't stand still, AT AE5400 pair (LD handheld)

Drum overhead spaced Apex 205 ribbons pair, modded by Michael Joly
One Right by the drummers right knee looking toward the center of the set, One Oktava 219 LD, also modded by Joly
Kick GT AM 52 (LD, multi pattern)

Sax GT AM 61 (LD, cardioid, tube)

Vocal ADK A-48 (LD, multi pattern, tube)
Old 20th January 2007
Here for the gear
Thanks guys. Not gonna do it with the vocalist right now (slammed trying to finish a mix of some of our live stuff. Should have been finished days ago). But would have used the AT for sure, I can't afford any feedback. And the AT's are real good at rejecting other sources, I've used it on my gigs for myself and my girl singer partner with no sound problems and getting pretty good results. When the singer gets on the mic the bleed goes way down.

But, I will be doing the trio probably Wednesday evening 1/24/07. That was the original plan anyhow.

For the drum OHs, I was wondering to myself if I should use the ribbons and wanting to try them so I'm probably talked into it. I dunno, if I have time I may try to get to the drummers rehearsal spot and compare the differences.

Probably my second choice was the M 219s OH, then the NT5s.

I'm afraid gobos are out for this one, just gonna have to try and get the mics focused on the sources as best I can and hope for the best. But I'm gonna read those links thumbsup

So, the ADK is off the vox and free. Would y'all consider replacing the kick or the horn mics with that one?
Old 24th January 2007
Here for the gear
My reading comprehension skills leave much to be desired. I came back and read again and realized I overlooked the word "virtual".

Anyhow, reading the links after posting this.

Thanks again folks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search